Journey of a Frost Mage

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Refumee

Re: Journey of a Frost Mage

Post by Refumee »

bssarkar wrote: March 11th, 2024, 4:12 am Uh-oh. I'll have to check it out. Usually the shadows don't bother me much.
I'm just unlucky :D
bssarkar wrote: March 11th, 2024, 4:12 am Scenario 03: A Very Long Road
Erinna has an AMLA for forest movement.
I saw that and I didn't want to waste an upgrade on that.
bssarkar wrote: March 11th, 2024, 4:12 am No supposed to be luck based. I personally don't like battles to be so.
I checked the doging chances. I overestimated the merman and naga. It is actually fine.
bssarkar wrote: March 11th, 2024, 4:29 am Okay, looked at the replays, you played very well.
Thank you, the Drakes were a great help. Especially the Gliderdrake. He/She (Gender unsure) distracted the undead a bit.
bssarkar
Developer

Post by bssarkar »

Refumee wrote: March 11th, 2024, 7:42 am I saw that and I didn't want to waste an upgrade on that.
She'll get more movement once she becomes lvl 2 after the 3 major AMLAs. (But you most probably can't get them after that)
Refumee

Post by Refumee »

tBfW Version 1.17.26
JoaFM Version 0.11.2.8
Medium difficulty
Scenario 04: The Waters of Destiny
It was quite hard for me, many reloading. Not because of some of my precious units died. The merman Initiate died.
It felt real punishing, when I misplaced one of the Initiate. Maybe set a limit? No more than 2 or 3 are allowed to die.
For harder difficulty, you can make it harder.

Those Orc Assassins are quite annoying, but really good counter to my army. Love it.

The Naga were kinda strange. They attacked me in the south.
Maybe you can use this code. Just put that into [side] of the Naga. Then they should focus more the merman.

Code: Select all

[ai]
				[goal]
					name=target
					[criteria]
						side=4
					[/criteria]
					value=3
				[/goal]
				[goal]
					name=target
					[criteria]
						side=1
					[/criteria]
					value=1
				[/goal]
			[/ai]

Scenario 05: The Secret Concil
Just cinematic.
I'm not so into lore, but why is there a Drake in the council?
I love the nostalgia to the council, it reminds me of one campaign, don't know which.

Scenario 06: Dark hour
Looks promising at first, I'll play it later.
Maybe thats a bug, Erinna can instantly level up, but I don't need to take the lvl 2 upgrade. (Still the best choice).
The swamps in the east are gone, thats sad. I already planned to overrun the east with merman. I guess the explanation is, that we don't have flooding season.
bssarkar
Developer

Post by bssarkar »

Refumee wrote: March 11th, 2024, 11:14 pm It was quite hard for me, many reloading. Not because of some of my precious units died. The merman Initiate died.
It felt real punishing, when I misplaced one of the Initiate. Maybe set a limit? No more than 2 or 3 are allowed to die.
For harder difficulty, you can make it harder.
I'll see if I can reduce the difficulty a bit.
Edit : I'll still adjust it, but you are not supposed to act so offensively. I'll add a hint for that.
Edit 2: I've added hints and dialog so that the player does not play too aggressively. Additionally, Mara will save the first Initiate from dying, but no more.
Refumee wrote: March 11th, 2024, 11:14 pm The Naga were kinda strange. They attacked me in the south.
The swamps were added so they can attack south, the orc army proved to be insufficient originally.
Refumee wrote: March 11th, 2024, 11:14 pm I'm not so into lore, but why is there a Drake in the council?
My own lore, it's a secret alliance between several races, somewhat like the northern alliance, but only for magi. It also has merfolk (Mara), but she got stuck in S6 so couldn't come.
Refumee wrote: March 11th, 2024, 11:14 pm Maybe thats a bug, Erinna can instantly level up, but I don't need to take the lvl 2 upgrade. (Still the best choice).
Erinna's level up is coded in and not a bug. She got so much experience from training with merfolk that she leveled up. I'll try to make that optional, but why don't you want to upgrade her??
Edit : Option to choose upgrade added in Scenario 6.
Refumee wrote: March 11th, 2024, 11:14 pm The swamps in the east are gone, thats sad. I already planned to overrun the east with merman. I guess the explanation is, that we don't have flooding season.
Probably I forgot to add the swamps?
Refumee

Post by Refumee »

tBfW Version 1.17.26
JoaFM Version 0.11.3.0
Medium difficulty
JoaFM-Dark Hour replay 20240312-223723.gz
(69.31 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
Scenario 06: Dark Hour
I liked it. I think I use the spoiler tag for now. I don't wanna spoil other readers.
Spoiler:
I lost valuable elves :( anyway I only saw one bug. Maybe its not, Erinna isn't doing any animations, if she attacks. I checked the code, you got there a lot of comments, but no animation frames. Is that on purpose?

Scenario 07: Meeting the Council
I'm curious how that turns out.
Spoiler:
I think I'm now in the buggy territory right? I will keep a watchful eye.
bssarkar
Developer

Post by bssarkar »

Refumee wrote: March 12th, 2024, 9:54 pm I lost valuable elves :( anyway I only saw one bug. Maybe its not, Erinna isn't doing any animations, if she attacks. I checked the code, you got there a lot of comments, but no animation frames. Is that on purpose?
Sorry, I'm a bit bad with pixel art stuff, so the animation and other frames aren't done yet. There's also the time factor involved in making good art. Currently focusing on the story. (Also improving my pixel art skills, so they might appear in a future release).
Spoiler:
Answer to your second spoiler : Yes.
Spoiler:
Refumee wrote: March 12th, 2024, 9:54 pm I think I'm now in the buggy territory right? I will keep a watchful eye.
Yes, definitely. S7 mightn't be that buggy, but S8 and S9 are probably.

Thanks for liking S6. That's where the nasty stuff starts. Keep a careful eye on Objectives/Dialog too, they might have hints for you.
Spoiler:
Refumee

Post by Refumee »

bssarkar wrote: March 13th, 2024, 3:38 am Thanks for liking S6. That's where the nasty stuff starts. Keep a careful eye on Objectives/Dialog too, they might have hints for you.
Spoiler:
I saw the Lumen Warrior, they are quite impressiv. I think the swordman, white mage and red mage can advance to them. If I remember correctly.

I meant antagonist for this scenario.
Spoiler:
I keep following the Dialog :)
bssarkar
Developer

Post by bssarkar »

I saw the Lumen Warrior, they are quite impressiv. I think the swordman, white mage and red mage can advance to them. If I remember correctly.
Yes, all of them can. Use the swordsman as best as you can. I might change the mage lines later, since it's a bit inconsistent for Red mage.
I keep following the Dialog :)
:+1:
Refumee

Post by Refumee »

tBfW Version 1.17.26
JoaFM Version 0.11.3.0
Medium difficulty

JoaFM-Eil-En-Seiril replay 20240313-220122.gz
(46.69 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Scenario 07: Eil-En-Seiril
Was pretty straight forward. I also liked that, that I got my recalls a bit later. So i was incentivise so try out new units and level up new units.
I used some of my Units as cannon fodder for the shadows.
JoaFM-The Temple replay 20240313-234551.gz
(66.04 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Scenrio 08: The Temple
Got some Bugs and I cannot finish it, because I did once an unequip tasks without an item. I cheated in the end otherwise I can't move forward. I hope I didn't miss anything.
I'm unsure, but my guess is, that you set here the yes to a no and then it should work.

# Drop sword near dragon
[event]
        name=item_drop
        first_time_only=yes
Spoiler:
It is also very difficult to pick up the sword.
I needed to place a unit in 29 4 and a unit in 30 4. The unit is 30 4 gets the item. I also checked your code. I didn't find any mistake.
Drop Item.PNG
The scenario was alright. It was good that we didn't get any turn limits, because it was kinda hard to maneuver.
Besides that I had fun.
bssarkar
Developer

Post by bssarkar »

Got some Bugs and I cannot finish it, because I did once an unequip tasks without an item.
So the bug is that you unequipped without an item and it started behaving weirdly right? And thanks for the code related help, appreciated.
Edit : I've added code to make sure the player cannot click on 'unequip' unless they are holding an item. Also, added the

first_time_only=no
that you mentioned.
Refumee

Post by Refumee »

Yes.
That sounds like a good change.

Do I need to replay the scenario again?
I'm unsure if the last event was important.
bssarkar
Developer

Post by bssarkar »

Do I need to replay the scenario again?
I don't think so, as long as you get the main units (Lorendor,Erinna,Raizr and the Mage of Light) and recall your army in the next scenario. The last dialog might be important storywise, you can read the dialogs in the cfg file.

S9 is unbalanced, so it is possible you might not be able to beat the final boss (but you should try your best anyway). Note that if you lose too many units while defeating him, that also means he's too powerful. (I might be able to figure that out from the replay).
Refumee

Post by Refumee »

I got a question about Scenario 9.

I am supposed to play the knights? If yes, are they are my enemies? Because I cannot see their movements. I just lost, because some knight died.
I added the replay here until this point.

The Lady is very interesting. Needs only 1 xp to level up. That happens a lot. So I can use her as meatshield.
The Lady also got a very very big portrait. It hides all the text, she is speaking.

It is quite hard to see on which fields I'm able to recruit. Maybe start with an fort and after turn three let them transform into normal ground.
Attachments
JoaFM-Pursuit replay 20240318-223724.gz
(64.41 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
bssarkar
Developer

Post by bssarkar »

Refumee wrote: March 18th, 2024, 9:42 pm I am supposed to play the knights? If yes, are they are my enemies? Because I cannot see their movements. I just lost, because some knight died.
I added the replay here until this point.
Spoiler:
Refumee wrote: March 18th, 2024, 9:42 pm The Lady is very interesting. Needs only 1 xp to level up. That happens a lot. So I can use her as meatshield.
The Lady also got a very very big portrait. It hides all the text, she is speaking.
Bug, will be fixed.
It is quite hard to see on which fields I'm able to recruit. Maybe start with an fort and after turn three let them transform into normal ground.
Got it :+1:
Refumee

Post by Refumee »

tBfW Version 1.18.0
JoaFM Version 0.11.4b
Medium difficulty

Finished Pursuit.

It was real difficult. Not because of the initial enemies. That the rider faction got red mages and white mages, really helped a lot! Otherwise, I would be lost against the saurians.
Spoiler:
I had a bug, right after the ritual. I had 2 Erinnas afterwards and a lua error. Sadly I lost the Screenshot for hit, but maybe the that helps, that it was right after the ritual.
The second Erinna disappeared right after I savescummed, haha. Thats strange, anyway.

Another thing is, Erinna moves her whole body, when she is attacking. Is that on purpose?

I fullfilled my promise :), but I am curious, when she learns frost magic. How many scenarios are in work?

I just replayed it a bit, cause I forgote the item in the bottom area. I hope I'll get the units from the other factions in my recall list.
Send down a Silver Mage of the blue faction.
Attachments
attack2.PNG
attack2.PNG (32.51 KiB) Viewed 735 times
JoaFM-Pursuit replay 20240402-115504.gz
(88.28 KiB) Downloaded 12 times