Political system of Wesfolks

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

holypaladin

Political system of Wesfolks

Post by holypaladin »

Althrough some changed in Rise of Wesnoth last years I still see some unexplained things about Wesfolk.

- Who is Jessene? She appears to us as Wesfolk princess but seems to not have much power before the betrayal of Jevyan when she started lead a group of refugees. It looks like all power belong to lich-lords.

- How many lich-lords rule Wesfolk? We get to know only Jevyan, Lenvan and Caror from which two last lost long time ago.

- If Jessene were an ally of Southbay prince than why attack King Eldaric's land?

- Jessene seems to have some respect for Lenvan. Did she known him herself or just from stories?

- we meet three dark sorcerers on swamp of Esten and later twin mages under Southbay. I think they're Wesfolk but not much informations about them (necromancy is typically skill used by Wesfolk people, twin mages says that Southbay King expelled them after Wesfolk lost the war)

- Maybe not directly about Wesfolk but I think that's very bad that's Eldaric's Kingdom has no name while Clearwater and Southbay has. Would be good to change it.

Thank You for Your comments.
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"
gnombat

Re: Political system of Wesfolks

Post by gnombat »

holypaladin wrote: September 17th, 2023, 4:04 pm - Who is Jessene? She appears to us as Wesfolk princess but seems to not have much power before the betrayal of Jevyan when she started lead a group of refugees. It looks like all power belong to lich-lords.

- How many lich-lords rule Wesfolk? We get to know only Jevyan, Lenvan and Caror from which two last lost long time ago.
I don't think the Wesfolk system of government is ever described in detail, but there must be other Lich-Lords - for example, in the scenario "Return of the Fleet" Jessene says: "Even if we defeat him [Jevyan], the other Lich-Lords will follow."
holypaladin wrote: September 17th, 2023, 4:04 pm - If Jessene were an ally of Southbay prince than why attack King Eldaric's land?
In the introduction before the start of the first scenario, it says: "...the very Crown Prince who discovered the land to the east fell ill and died under mysterious circumstances. His younger brother, the next in line for the throne, chafed at the eye of suspicion cast upon him. He conspired to start a war of distraction with the poor Wesfolk kingdoms and their Lich-Lords."

So, the war has already started by the time the campaign begins.
holypaladin wrote: September 17th, 2023, 4:04 pm - Jessene seems to have some respect for Lenvan. Did she known him herself or just from stories?
The Timeline of Wesnoth suggests that the Wesfolk arrived on the island about 200 years before the campaign. There isn't really any timeline of the war given, but my impression is that Lenvan and the Wesfolk were defeated many years (possibly more than a century) before the time of the campaign - if that is true, then Jessene would know Lenvan only as a famous historical figure.
holypaladin wrote: September 17th, 2023, 4:04 pm - we meet three dark sorcerers on swamp of Esten and later twin mages under Southbay. I think they're Wesfolk but not much informations about them (necromancy is typically skill used by Wesfolk people, twin mages says that Southbay King expelled them after Wesfolk lost the war)
In "The Swamp of Esten" it says "... the swamp is home to a Wesfolk-imitating cult." This suggests that they may in fact be Haldric's people (perhaps they acquired knowledge of necromancy from the Wesfolk).
holypaladin wrote: September 17th, 2023, 4:04 pm - Maybe not directly about Wesfolk but I think that's very bad that's Eldaric's Kingdom has no name while Clearwater and Southbay has. Would be good to change it.
It is called "Stormvale" on the map of the Green Isle. (Curiously, this name is not mentioned in the text of the campaign.)
holypaladin

Post by holypaladin »

1. Political system of Wesfolks looks for me as one of the most important plot holes in Rise of Wesnoth, hard to understand how it looks as for now

2. I know that war with Wesfolk already started, still it looks a bit weird for me that Jessene just attacks border and is supporting Southbay prince in his journey (Eldaric mentions it's not the first time)

3. Thanks for explanation :) I think it would be good to expand character of Lenvan and other Wesfolk rulers.

4. Interesting, I think making dark sorcerers Wesfolks would improve consistency in campaning

5. I checked and that's true. Would be good to ad it somewhere

Another question from me is: Did all Wesfolks have complied to Jessene or was there other?
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"
holypaladin

Post by holypaladin »

I think campaning would be more consistent if there would be another group of Wesfolk refugees who didn't accepted Jessene command and allying our team. Another thing I think would be good to add would be more wesfolk mages that unlike common folks remained loyal to Jevyan and command undead armies.
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"