Ascension

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: Ascension

Post by Konrad2 »

Battle for the North
to the swamps -> to the swamps.

Towards War
cause trouble -> cause trouble.

Hey, I noticed that you renamed your scenario names to include 'Ascension', instead of taking the advice from white_haired_uncle. Why? :hmm: :doh:
Attachments
Ascension-Battle for the North replay 20240205-145220.gz
(67.82 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
redbeard2

Post by redbeard2 »

That was a suggestion from another reviewer, that a single letter may be odd and the whole word may be appropriate. If that’s just not the case I can make everything A
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Konrad2 wrote: February 5th, 2024, 1:53 pm Hey, I noticed that you renamed your scenario names to include 'Ascension', instead of taking the advice from white_haired_uncle. Why? :hmm: :doh:
What if there are two different campaigns beginning with the letter "A"? :mrgreen:

Anyway, that's what Liberty does.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Towards War
The commands to make the undead rise are missing a period to end the sentence.

Slash and Burn
he'd fry -> He'd fry
never recover -> never recover.
Valley of Shadows -> Valley of Shadows.

Invasion of Wesmere
like clockwork -> like a clockwork
Lomarfel should be a loyal unit to keep things consistent.
Please give the Flagbearer a silver crown.
Why is Xerxes the Herald not loyal?

Btw for nay scenario with hints: you can add the as notes instead of objectives.
Attachments
Slash and Burn replay 20240206-123015.gz
(91.65 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
Ascension-Towards War replay 20240206-120154.gz
(73.76 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
redbeard2

Post by redbeard2 »

I’ll adjust the hero/loyal markers, no specific reason why they weren’t and it makes sense that they would be

Looks like near the end of the replays, so I’d appreciate overall thoughts, what worked/didn’t work, balanced well/not, thoughts on story, characters, anything else that can make the campaign as good as it can be

Once I fine tune the campaign with everyone’s suggestions, I’ll look into how to make different difficulties which I know is something people may want. From the replays I’ve seen they haven’t been too tough to beat, maybe people would like a challenge (though time has sometimes been tight, so maybe make time limits more forgiving for easy and medium, tighter in hard?)
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Invasion of Wesmere
and the treasure to attack -> and the treasury to attack
Note that I used 'droid' a couple times at the end so I wouldnt have to control my army to finish my sure win, but undroided a couple times so the ai wouldn't kill off my heroes.

Regarding the turn limits, I wouldn't recommend tightening them on scenarios I almost didn't make it. :D

Most scenarios didn't quite feel hard (to me), but I think that's fair, since it's the medium difficulty of a medium hard campaign.

I liked the whole thing, and I like how many characters from other (inlcuding former) mainline campaigns you managed to tie in. :D (Elornas, the lords of the Ka'lian, Mebrin the Sage, Elornas' loyal rider, Jessene, Crelanu). On that note though, I doubt that Jessene would split from Haldric. D:
https://wiki.wesnoth.org/Jessene#Queen_consort
I won't comment on the Rod of Justice, I have to much bias there because I love the campaigns by revansurik which involve it. :D

EDIT:
Most importantly, thanks for creating a campaign for Wesnoth. I hope I was able to be of help. :)
Attachments
Invasion of Wesmere replay 20240206-154639.gz
(234.25 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
redbeard2

Post by redbeard2 »

A subtle thing I did: if you look at the description of the Wesfolk Leader for Jessene, it says she was exiled for stealing the Book of Fire and Darkness from Haldric, I wasn’t sure how to meaningfully include it in dialogue, so it was hidden there. I figured by this point haldric was acting quite erratically under the Rubys influence, so she stole it away for the good of everyone.

I know supposedly Haldric never recovered the Ruby from the troll hole, that never made sense to me
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

redbeard2 wrote: February 6th, 2024, 3:58 pm I know supposedly Haldric never recovered the Ruby from the troll hole, that never made sense to me
TimelineWesnoth wrote:The Ruby of Fire is temporarily hidden, and the lich-lord Jevyan is deceived into believing it is held by the Elves.
BiographyHaldric wrote:Although Jessene had hidden the Ruby of Fire inside the cave, Haldric later reclaimed it. With time, Haldric fell under the stone's influence, and it caused him to become suspicious, even of his closest friends. Each time Haldric came near the Ruby of Fire, his nature would slowly become more tyrannical. Eventually, he became highly mistrustful of his friend, Crelanu, and banished him from Wesnoth.
https://wiki.wesnoth.org/Haldric_I#Later_life
He did recover it, and btw Crelanu was banished by Haldric because Haldric thought Crelanu was trying to steal the ruby.

(Ftr, I did look at her description and noticed it. I nonetheless am not 100% convinced that it makes sense.)
BipgraphyJessene/Epilogue TRoW wrote:They were wedded, making Queen Jessene the first queen consort of Wesnoth. Though it was later suggested that their marriage was not tranquil, the two desired each other's company. Jessene bore Haldric multiple children, including Haldric II. Their interracial marriage was successful in convincing others to do the same, eventually fusing the two ethnic groups into a single kingdom.
(The exile of Jessene and many Wesfolk also challenges the idea that the two groups truly fused.)
redbeard2

Post by redbeard2 »

That’s why I include the knight from the Green Isle as the other leader in Battle for the North (he’s one of the two you can get in Rise of Wesnoth). I wanted Haldric exiling to be equal opportunity between Green Islanders (the loyalists you fight as well as Crenalu) and the Wesfolk (Jessene’s group)

Maybe if he exiles everyone equally that makes it better?
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

redbeard2 wrote: February 6th, 2024, 4:43 pm That’s why I include the knight from the Green Isle as the other leader in Battle for the North (he’s one of the two you can get in Rise of Wesnoth). I wanted Haldric exiling to be equal opportunity between Green Islanders (the loyalists you fight as well as Crenalu) and the Wesfolk (Jessene’s group)

Maybe if he exiles everyone equally that makes it better?
I disagree, but that doesn't mean you are wrong. :)
redbeard2

Post by redbeard2 »

25-40 YW
In 25 YW Haldric II sends an expedition to retrieve the Ruby of Fire from its place of concealment.

This is from the official timeline on the website, I interpret that as it was still in the troll hole.

The timeline also contradicts Legend of Wesmere in the timing of the invasion and Kalenz’ involvement, in my opinion
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

redbeard2 wrote: February 6th, 2024, 7:43 pm 25-40 YW
In 25 YW Haldric II sends an expedition to retrieve the Ruby of Fire from its place of concealment.

This is from the official timeline on the website, I interpret that as it was still in the troll hole.

The timeline also contradicts Legend of Wesmere in the timing of the invasion and Kalenz’ involvement, in my opinion
You are right, that does seem odd. I'll make an issue on github to discuss this. (Personally I'll vote for changing the timeline to make the ruby to be recovered earlier, and maybe stashed away again when Kalenz warns Haldric II of the rubys influence.)

EDIT:
Do you want me to @ you in the issue?
https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/issues/8363
redbeard2

Post by redbeard2 »

I am going through the replays from Konrad 2, it seems that Catastrophe and Khrakrahs are missing, It would be nice to go over these as well if possible
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

redbeard2 wrote: February 7th, 2024, 5:02 am I am going through the replays from Konrad 2, it seems that Catastrophe and Khrakrahs are missing, It would be nice to go over these as well if possible
Oops.
Attachments
Catastrophe replay 20240203-035730.gz
(60.53 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Khrakrahs replay 20240203-043307.gz
(55.31 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
redbeard2

Post by redbeard2 »

Im looking to do difficulty options, as a rough metric each difficulty adjustment might involve 15% change in one’s own money, 20% in opponents’. Turns won’t change much, maybe a couple of turns more for the easier difficulties.
Otherwise I’ll make a few other changes based on difficulty, if this metric sounds odd maybe someone can give me better guidance

I’m going to make some adjustments to other scenarios and add a second version of the last scenario. It’ll all probably get released in a few weeks depending on if I can find time