Ascension

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ZIM

Re: Ascension

Post by ZIM »

First of all, I want to say that this campaign is nice and the difficulty is just perfect (I assume it's intended to be easy-medium difficulty?). But also, I want to report a bug. This happen when I tried to open the Detour scenario, I don't know if this is from the campaign or because I played a 1.16 campaign on 1.17 Wesnoth.
Attachments
bug.JPG
redbeard2

Post by redbeard2 »

ZIM wrote: January 14th, 2024, 2:16 pm First of all, I want to say that this campaign is nice and the difficulty is just perfect (I assume it's intended to be easy-medium difficulty?). But also, I want to report a bug. This happen when I tried to open the Detour scenario, I don't know if this is from the campaign or because I played a 1.16 campaign on 1.17 Wesnoth.
I looked over it, I think that what may have caused the issue was a remnant [leader] [/leader] that I had previously purged away from my scenarios, but one had snuck past me in Detour. That at least is my first thought. I got rid of it, and also by the way eliminated the IS HERO from Brurbar in scenario 1 and 2, the other scenarios didn't have it, must have dropped out, it didn't seem to help anything and maybe could cause some issue.

If that solves is, let me know, if not, I'll look through it again. It seems to work perfectly well for me. I get my Wesnoth through Steam, I assume it's updated, but I don't know how that really works.

And, yes it is intended to be intermediate difficulty. Please let me know what else can be done better or what's good/not good in the campaign (I already know it doesn't have unusual custom units or fancy unique coding)
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

ZIM wrote: January 14th, 2024, 2:16 pm First of all, I want to say that this campaign is nice and the difficulty is just perfect (I assume it's intended to be easy-medium difficulty?). But also, I want to report a bug. This happen when I tried to open the Detour scenario, I don't know if this is from the campaign or because I played a 1.16 campaign on 1.17 Wesnoth.
This error is really odd :hmm: maybe something went wrong when logging an error, do you know whether there could be a problem when writing to the logfile ?
(missing permissions, onedrive or a virus scanner trying to open the logfile )
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Does it always happen or just sometimes ? Because from looking at that error message it doesn't seem to be related to that specific campaign at all, so its most likely coincidence that it happens with this specific campaign.

This could be the 1.17 version of the "OneDrive can interfere with Wesnoth’s user config/data directory set-up" bug that is in every 1.16 announcement. If it happens again, could you try "avoid syncing the Wesnoth user directory with OneDrive" (i don't know how that is done i just copied that text form the release announcement)
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
ZIM

Post by ZIM »

gfgtdf wrote: January 16th, 2024, 4:30 am
Does it always happen or just sometimes ? Because from looking at that error message it doesn't seem to be related to that specific campaign at all, so its most likely coincidence that it happens with this specific campaign.

This could be the 1.17 version of the "OneDrive can interfere with Wesnoth’s user config/data directory set-up" bug that is in every 1.16 announcement. If it happens again, could you try "avoid syncing the Wesnoth user directory with OneDrive" (i don't know how that is done i just copied that text form the release announcement)
It only happens when I'm trying to load that scenario. And I don't sync my Wesnoth user directory with OneDrive. If it helps, I did finish the previous scenario while debug mode is active, don't know if that has any effect.
ZIM

Post by ZIM »

gfgtdf wrote: January 16th, 2024, 4:21 am This error is really odd :hmm: maybe something went wrong when logging an error, do you know whether there could be a problem when writing to the logfile ?
(missing permissions, onedrive or a virus scanner trying to open the logfile )
I don't think it's missing permission because if that's the case, then all campaign that I play should be affected. And I already ruled out Onedrive, and I don't have any antivirus software besides Windows Defender.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

So i tried myself, and when i got the the fourth scenario i got this really long error message :

Code: Select all

20240116 17:56:38 warning engine/team_construction: when building level, skipping a unit (id=[]) from leader_cfg with no type information,
for side:
allow_changes = no
allow_player = yes
chose_random = no
color = red
controller = human
current_player = 4444
faction = Custom
faction_name = Custom
gender = male
gold = 1554
id = Brurbar
income = 2
is_host = yes
is_local = yes
name = Brurbar
player_id = 4444
previous_recruits = Goblin Spearman,Orcish Archer,Orcish Assassin,Orcish Grunt,Wolf Rider
recruit = Goblin Spearman,Wolf Rider,Orcish Archer,Naga Fighter,Orcish Assassin
save_id = Brurbar
side = 1
side_name = Brurbar
team_name = invaders
type = Orcish Leader
unrenamable = yes
user_description = Anonymous player
user_team_name = invaders
[modifications]
	[trait]
		female_name = resilient
		help_text = <italic>text='Resilient'</italic> units have an additional 4 hitpoints, and gain 1 more per level.

Resilient units can be useful at all stages of a campaign, and this is a useful trait for all units. Resilient is often most helpful as a trait when it occurs in a unit that has some combination of low hitpoints, good defense, or high resistances. Resilient units are especially useful for holding strategic positions against opponents.
		id = resilient
		male_name = resilient
		[effect]
			apply_to = hitpoints
			increase_total = 4
		[/effect]
		[effect]
			apply_to = hitpoints
			increase_total = 1
			times = per level
		[/effect]
	[/trait]
	[trait]
		female_name = quick
		help_text = <italic>text='Quick'</italic> units have 1 extra movement point, but 5% less hitpoints than usual.

Quick is the most noticeable trait, particularly in slower moving units such as trolls or heavy infantry. Units with the quick trait often have greatly increased mobility in rough terrain, which can be important to consider when deploying your forces. Also, quick units aren’t quite as tough as units without this trait and are subsequently less good at holding contested positions.
		id = quick
		male_name = quick
		[effect]
			apply_to = movement
			increase = 1
		[/effect]
		[effect]
			apply_to = hitpoints
			increase_total = -5%
		[/effect]
	[/trait]
[/modifications]
[leader]
[/leader]
[village]
	x = 11
	y = 20
[/village]
[village]
	x = 13
	y = 20
[/village]
[village]
	x = 14
	y = 22
[/village]
[village]
	x = 16
	y = 17
[/village]
[village]
	x = 34
	y = 18
[/village]
[village]
	x = 18
	y = 18
[/village]
[village]
	x = 18
	y = 22
[/village]
[village]
	x = 20
	y = 21
[/village]
[village]
	x = 22
	y = 22
[/village]
[default_faction]
	type = Orcish Leader
[/default_faction]
[variables]
[/variables]
[unit]
	attacks_left = 1
	canrecruit = yes
	cost = 21
	ellipse = misc/ellipse-hero
	experience = 0
	extra_recruit = 
	facing = s
	flag_rgb = magenta
	gender = male
	generate_name = yes
	halo = 
	hitpoints = 47
	id = Brurbar
	image = units/orcs/leader.png
	image_icon = 
	jamming = 0
	language_name = Orcish Leader
	moves = 7
	name = Brurbar
	overlays = 
	race = orc
	random_traits = no
	recall_cost = -1
	resting = yes
	role = 
	type = Orcish Leader
	undead_variation = 
	underlying_id = 1
	unrenamable = yes
	upkeep = full
	usage = mixed fighter
	variation = 
	vision = 7
	[modifications]
		[trait]
			female_name = resilient
			help_text = <italic>text='Resilient'</italic> units have an additional 4 hitpoints, and gain 1 more per level.

Resilient units can be useful at all stages of a campaign, and this is a useful trait for all units. Resilient is often most helpful as a trait when it occurs in a unit that has some combination of low hitpoints, good defense, or high resistances. Resilient units are especially useful for holding strategic positions against opponents.
			id = resilient
			male_name = resilient
			[effect]
				apply_to = hitpoints
				increase_total = 4
			[/effect]
			[effect]
				apply_to = hitpoints
				increase_total = 1
				times = per level
			[/effect]
		[/trait]
		[trait]
			female_name = quick
			help_text = <italic>text='Quick'</italic> units have 1 extra movement point, but 5% less hitpoints than usual.

Quick is the most noticeable trait, particularly in slower moving units such as trolls or heavy infantry. Units with the quick trait often have greatly increased mobility in rough terrain, which can be important to consider when deploying your forces. Also, quick units aren’t quite as tough as units without this trait and are subsequently less good at holding contested positions.
			id = quick
			male_name = quick
			[effect]
				apply_to = movement
				increase = 1
			[/effect]
			[effect]
				apply_to = hitpoints
				increase_total = -5%
			[/effect]
		[/trait]
		[object]
			[effect]
				add = misc/hero-icon.png
				apply_to = overlay
			[/effect]
			[effect]
				apply_to = ellipse
			[/effect]
		[/object]
	[/modifications]
	[variables]
	[/variables]
	[filter_recall]
	[/filter_recall]
	[status]
	[/status]
[/unit]
[unit]
	attacks_left = 1
	canrecruit = yes
	cost = 53
	experience = 0
	extra_recruit = 
	facing = s
	flag_rgb = magenta
	gender = male
	generate_name = yes
	halo = 
	hitpoints = 46
	id = Iga
	image = units/orcs/nightblade.png
	image_icon = 
	jamming = 0
	language_name = Orcish Nightblade
	moves = 7
	name = Iga
	overlays = 
	race = orc
	random_traits = no
	recall_cost = -1
	resting = yes
	role = 
	type = Orcish Nightblade
	undead_variation = 
	underlying_id = 48
	unrenamable = no
	upkeep = loyal
	usage = mixed fighter
	variation = 
	vision = 7
	[modifications]
		[trait]
			description = Zero upkeep
			female_name = loyal
			help_text = <italic>text='Loyal'</italic> units don’t incur upkeep. Most units incur an upkeep cost at the end of every turn, which is equal to their level. Loyal units do not incur this cost.

During campaigns, certain units may opt to join the player’s forces of their own volition. These units are marked with the loyal trait. Although they may require payment to be recalled, they never incur any upkeep costs. This can make them invaluable during a long campaign, when gold is in short supply. This trait is never given to recruited units, so it may be unwise to dismiss such units or to send them to a foolish death.
			id = loyal
			male_name = loyal
			[effect]
				apply_to = loyal
			[/effect]
			[effect]
				add = misc/loyal-icon.png
				apply_to = overlay
			[/effect]
		[/trait]
		[trait]
			female_name = quick

id = quick
			male_name = quick
			[effect]
				apply_to = movement
				increase = 1
			[/effect]
			[effect]
				apply_to = hitpoints
				increase_total = -5%
			[/effect]
		[/trait]
	[/modifications]
	[variables]
	[/variables]
	[filter_recall]
	[/filter_recall]
	[status]
	[/status]
[/unit]
[unit]
	attacks_left = 1
	cost = 28
	experience = 0
	extra_recruit = 
	facing = n
	flag_rgb = magenta
	gender = male
	generate_name = yes
	halo = 
	hitpoints = 50
	id = Captain Krag
	image = units/goblins/knight.png
	image_icon = 
	jamming = 0
	language_name = Goblin Knight
	moves = 9
	name = Captain Krag
	overlays = 
	race = wolf
	random_traits = no
	recall_cost = -1
	resting = yes
	role = 
	type = Goblin Knight
	undead_variation = wolf
	underlying_id = 49
	unrenamable = no
	upkeep = loyal
	usage = scout
	variation = 
	vision = -1
	[modifications]
		[trait]
			female_name = loyal
			help_text = <italic>text='Loyal'</italic> units don’t incur upkeep. Most units incur an upkeep cost at the end of every turn, which is equal to their level. Loyal units do not incur this cost.

During campaigns, certain units may opt to join the player’s forces of their own volition. These units are marked with the loyal trait. Although they may require payment to be recalled, they never incur any upkeep costs. This can make them invaluable during a long campaign, when gold is in short supply. This trait is never given to recruited units, so it may be unwise to dismiss such units or to send them to a foolish death.
			id = loyal
			male_name = loyal
			[effect]
				apply_to = loyal
			[/effect]
			[effect]
				apply_to = overlay
			[/effect]
		[/trait]
		[trait]
			female_name = strong
			help_text = <italic>text='Strong'</italic> units do 1 more damage for every successful strike in melee combat, and have 1 additional hitpoint.

While useful for any close-combat unit, strong is most effective for units who have a high number of swings such as the elvish fighter. Strong units can be very useful when a tiny bit of extra damage is all that is needed to turn a damaging stroke into a killing blow.
			id = strong
			male_name = strong
			[effect]
				apply_to = attack
				increase_damage = 1
				range = melee
			[/effect]
			[effect]
				apply_to = hitpoints
				increase_total = 1
			[/effect]
		[/trait]
		[object]
			[effect]
				add = misc/hero-icon.png
				apply_to = overlay
			[/effect]
			[effect]
				apply_to = ellipse
			[/effect]
		[/object]
		[object]
			duration = forever
			id = warg
			name = warg
			[filter]
				id = Captain Krag
			[/filter]
			[effect]
				apply_to = new_ability
				[abilities]
					[dummy]
						description = This unit gains 1 hitpoint added to its maximum whenever it kills a unit, except units that are immune to plague.
						female_name = feeding
						id = feeding
						name = feeding
						special_note = This unit gains 1 hitpoint added to its maximum whenever it kills a living unit.
					[/dummy]
				[/abilities]
			[/effect]
			[effect]
				apply_to = new_ability
				[abilities]
					[leadership]
						affect_self = no
						cumulative = no
						description = This unit can lead other troops in battle.

All adjacent lower-level units from the same side deal 25% more damage for each difference in level.
						female_name = leadership
						id = leadership
						name = leadership
						special_note = The leadership of this unit enables adjacent units of the same side to deal more damage in combat, though this only applies to units of lower level.
						value = (25 * (level - other.level))
						[affect_adjacent]
							[filter]
								formula = level < other.level
							[/filter]
						[/affect_adjacent]
					[/leadership]
				[/abilities]
			[/effect]
		[/object]
	[/modifications]
	[abilities]
		[dummy]
			description = This unit gains 1 hitpoint added to its maximum whenever it kills a unit, except units that are immune to plague.
			female_name = feeding
			id = feeding
			name = feeding
			special_note = This unit gains 1 hitpoint added to its maximum whenever it kills a living unit.
		[/dummy]
		[leadership]
			affect_self = no
			cumulative = no

All adjacent lower-level units from the same side deal 25% more damage for each difference in level.
			female_name = leadership
			id = leadership
			name = leadership
			special_note = The leadership of this unit enables adjacent units of the same side to deal more damage in combat, though this only applies to units of lower level.
			[affect_adjacent]
				[filter]
				[/filter]
			[/affect_adjacent]
		[/leadership]
	[/abilities]
	[variables]
	[/variables]
	[filter_recall]
	[/filter_recall]
	[status]
	[/status]
[/unit]
I suspect its the size of the error message that caused a problem with the logger on your machine, it doesn't happen on my machine though.
redbeard2

Post by redbeard2 »

gfgtdf wrote: January 16th, 2024, 5:01 pm So i tried myself, and when i got the the fourth scenario i got this really long error message :

20240116 17:56:38 warning engine/team_construction: when building level, skipping a unit (id=[]) from leader_cfg with no type information,
for side:
allow_changes = no
allow_player = yes
chose_random = no
color = red
controller = human
current_player = 4444
faction = Custom
faction_name = Custom
gender = male
gold = 1554
id = Brurbar
income = 2
is_host = yes
is_local = yes
name = Brurbar
player_id = 4444
previous_recruits = Goblin Spearman,Orcish Archer,Orcish Assassin,Orcish Grunt,Wolf Rider
save_id = Brurbar
side = 1
side_name = Brurbar
team_name = invaders
type = Orcish Leader
unrenamable = yes
[modifications]
	[trait]
		female_name = resilient

id = resilient
		male_name = resilient
		[effect]
			apply_to = hitpoints
			increase_total = 4
		[/effect]
		[effect]
			apply_to = hitpoints
			increase_total = 1
			times = per level
		[/effect]
	[/trait]
	[trait]
		female_name = quick

id = quick
		male_name = quick
		[effect]
			apply_to = movement
			increase = 1
		[/effect]
		[effect]
			apply_to = hitpoints
			increase_total = -5%
		[/effect]
	[/trait]
[/modifications]
[leader]
[/leader]
[village]
	x = 11
	y = 20
[/village]
[village]
	x = 13
	y = 20
[/village]
[village]
	x = 14
	y = 22
[/village]
[village]
	x = 16
	y = 17
[/village]
[village]
	x = 34
	y = 18
[/village]
[village]
	x = 18
	y = 18
[/village]
[village]
	x = 18
	y = 22
[/village]
[village]
	x = 20
	y = 21
[/village]
[village]
	x = 22
	y = 22
[/village]
[default_faction]
	type = Orcish Leader
[/default_faction]
[variables]
[/variables]
[unit]
	attacks_left = 1
	canrecruit = yes
	cost = 21
	experience = 0
	extra_recruit = 
	facing = s
	flag_rgb = magenta
	gender = male
	generate_name = yes
	halo = 
	hitpoints = 47
	id = Brurbar
	image_icon = 
	jamming = 0
	moves = 7
	name = Brurbar
	overlays = 
	race = orc
	random_traits = no
	recall_cost = -1
	resting = yes
	role = 
	type = Orcish Leader
	undead_variation = 
	underlying_id = 1
	unrenamable = yes
	upkeep = full
	usage = mixed fighter
	variation = 
	vision = 7
	[modifications]
		[trait]
			female_name = resilient

id = resilient
			male_name = resilient
			[effect]
				apply_to = hitpoints
				increase_total = 4
			[/effect]
			[effect]
				apply_to = hitpoints
				increase_total = 1
				times = per level
			[/effect]
		[/trait]
		[trait]
			female_name = quick

id = quick
			male_name = quick
			[effect]
				apply_to = movement
				increase = 1
			[/effect]
			[effect]
				apply_to = hitpoints
				increase_total = -5%
			[/effect]
		[/trait]
		[object]
			[effect]
				add = misc/hero-icon.png
				apply_to = overlay
			[/effect]
			[effect]
				apply_to = ellipse
			[/effect]
		[/object]
	[/modifications]
	[variables]
	[/variables]
	[filter_recall]
	[/filter_recall]
	[status]
	[/status]
[/unit]
[unit]
	attacks_left = 1
	canrecruit = yes
	cost = 53
	experience = 0
	extra_recruit = 
	facing = s
	flag_rgb = magenta
	gender = male
	generate_name = yes
	halo = 
	hitpoints = 46
	id = Iga
	image_icon = 
	jamming = 0
	moves = 7
	name = Iga
	overlays = 
	race = orc
	random_traits = no
	recall_cost = -1
	resting = yes
	role = 
	type = Orcish Nightblade
	undead_variation = 
	underlying_id = 48
	unrenamable = no
	upkeep = loyal
	usage = mixed fighter
	variation = 
	vision = 7
	[modifications]
		[trait]
			female_name = loyal

id = loyal
			male_name = loyal
			[effect]
				apply_to = loyal
			[/effect]
			[effect]
				apply_to = overlay
			[/effect]
		[/trait]
		[trait]
			female_name = quick

id = quick
			male_name = quick
			[effect]
				apply_to = movement
				increase = 1
			[/effect]
			[effect]
				apply_to = hitpoints
				increase_total = -5%
			[/effect]
		[/trait]
	[/modifications]
	[variables]
	[/variables]
	[filter_recall]
	[/filter_recall]
	[status]
	[/status]
[/unit]
[unit]
	attacks_left = 1
	cost = 28
	experience = 0
	extra_recruit = 
	facing = n
	flag_rgb = magenta
	gender = male
	generate_name = yes
	halo = 
	hitpoints = 50
	id = Captain Krag
	image_icon = 
	jamming = 0
	moves = 9
	name = Captain Krag
	overlays = 
	race = wolf
	random_traits = no
	recall_cost = -1
	resting = yes
	role = 
	type = Goblin Knight
	undead_variation = wolf
	underlying_id = 49
	unrenamable = no
	upkeep = loyal
	usage = scout
	variation = 
	vision = -1
	[modifications]
		[trait]
			female_name = loyal

id = loyal
			male_name = loyal
			[effect]
				apply_to = loyal
			[/effect]
			[effect]
				apply_to = overlay
			[/effect]
		[/trait]
		[trait]
			female_name = strong
			help_text = <italic>text='Strong'</italic> units do 1 more damage for every successful strike in melee combat, and have 1 additional hitpoint.

While useful for any close-combat unit, strong is most effective for units who have a high number of swings such as the elvish fighter. Strong units can be very useful when a tiny bit of extra damage is all that is needed to turn a damaging stroke into a killing blow.
			id = strong
			male_name = strong
			[effect]
				apply_to = attack
				increase_damage = 1
				range = melee
			[/effect]
			[effect]
				apply_to = hitpoints
				increase_total = 1
			[/effect]
		[/trait]
		[object]
			[effect]
				add = misc/hero-icon.png
				apply_to = overlay
			[/effect]
			[effect]
				apply_to = ellipse
			[/effect]
		[/object]
		[object]
			duration = forever
			id = warg
			name = warg
			[filter]
				id = Captain Krag
			[/filter]
			[effect]
				apply_to = new_ability
				[abilities]
					[dummy]
						female_name = feeding
						id = feeding
						name = feeding
					[/dummy]
				[/abilities]
			[/effect]
			[effect]
				apply_to = new_ability
				[abilities]
					[leadership]
						affect_self = no
						cumulative = no

female_name = leadership
						id = leadership
						name = leadership
						[affect_adjacent]
							[filter]
							[/filter]
						[/affect_adjacent]
					[/leadership]
				[/abilities]
			[/effect]
		[/object]
	[/modifications]
	[abilities]
		[dummy]
			female_name = feeding
			id = feeding
			name = feeding
		[/dummy]
		[leadership]
			affect_self = no
			cumulative = no

female_name = leadership
			id = leadership
			name = leadership
			[affect_adjacent]
				[filter]
				[/filter]
			[/affect_adjacent]
		[/leadership]
	[/abilities]
	[variables]
	[/variables]
	[filter_recall]
	[/filter_recall]
	[status]
	[/status]
[/unit]
I suspect its the size of the error message that caused a problem with the logger on your machine, it doesn't happen on my machine though.
gfgtdf wrote: January 16th, 2024, 5:01 pm So i tried myself, and when i got the the fourth scenario i got this really long error message :

for side:
allow_changes = no
allow_player = yes
chose_random = no
color = red
controller = human
current_player = 4444
faction = Custom
faction_name = Custom
gender = male
gold = 1554
id = Brurbar
income = 2
is_host = yes
is_local = yes
name = Brurbar
player_id = 4444
save_id = Brurbar
side = 1
side_name = Brurbar
team_name = invaders
type = Orcish Leader
unrenamable = yes
[modifications]
	[trait]
		female_name = resilient

id = resilient
		male_name = resilient
		[effect]
			apply_to = hitpoints
			increase_total = 4
		[/effect]
		[effect]
			apply_to = hitpoints
			increase_total = 1
			times = per level
		[/effect]
	[/trait]
	[trait]
		female_name = quick

id = quick
		male_name = quick
		[effect]
			apply_to = movement
			increase = 1
		[/effect]
		[effect]
			apply_to = hitpoints
			increase_total = -5%
		[/effect]
	[/trait]
[/modifications]
[leader]
[/leader]
[village]
	x = 11
	y = 20
[/village]
[village]
	x = 13
	y = 20
[/village]
[village]
	x = 14
	y = 22
[/village]
[village]
	x = 16
	y = 17
[/village]
[village]
	x = 34
	y = 18
[/village]
[village]
	x = 18
	y = 18
[/village]
[village]
	x = 18
	y = 22
[/village]
[village]
	x = 20
	y = 21
[/village]
[village]
	x = 22
	y = 22
[/village]
[default_faction]
	type = Orcish Leader
[/default_faction]
[variables]
[/variables]
[unit]
	attacks_left = 1
	canrecruit = yes
	cost = 21
	experience = 0
	extra_recruit = 
	facing = s
	flag_rgb = magenta
	gender = male
	generate_name = yes
	halo = 
	hitpoints = 47
	id = Brurbar
	image_icon = 
	jamming = 0
	moves = 7
	name = Brurbar
	overlays = 
	race = orc
	random_traits = no
	recall_cost = -1
	resting = yes
	role = 
	type = Orcish Leader
	undead_variation = 
	underlying_id = 1
	unrenamable = yes
	upkeep = full
	usage = mixed fighter
	variation = 
	vision = 7
	[modifications]
		[trait]
			female_name = resilient

id = resilient
			male_name = resilient
			[effect]
				apply_to = hitpoints
				increase_total = 4
			[/effect]
			[effect]
				apply_to = hitpoints
				increase_total = 1
				times = per level
			[/effect]
		[/trait]
		[trait]
			female_name = quick

id = quick
			male_name = quick
			[effect]
				apply_to = movement
				increase = 1
			[/effect]
			[effect]
				apply_to = hitpoints
				increase_total = -5%
			[/effect]
		[/trait]
		[object]
			[effect]
				add = misc/hero-icon.png
				apply_to = overlay
			[/effect]
			[effect]
				apply_to = ellipse
			[/effect]
		[/object]
	[/modifications]
	[variables]
	[/variables]
	[filter_recall]
	[/filter_recall]
	[status]
	[/status]
[/unit]
[unit]
	attacks_left = 1
	canrecruit = yes
	cost = 53
	experience = 0
	extra_recruit = 
	facing = s
	flag_rgb = magenta
	gender = male
	generate_name = yes
	halo = 
	hitpoints = 46
	id = Iga
	image_icon = 
	jamming = 0
	moves = 7
	name = Iga
	overlays = 
	race = orc
	random_traits = no
	recall_cost = -1
	resting = yes
	role = 
	type = Orcish Nightblade
	undead_variation = 
	underlying_id = 48
	unrenamable = no
	upkeep = loyal
	usage = mixed fighter
	variation = 
	vision = 7
	[modifications]
		[trait]
			female_name = loyal

id = loyal
			male_name = loyal
			[effect]
				apply_to = loyal
			[/effect]
			[effect]
				apply_to = overlay
			[/effect]
		[/trait]
		[trait]
			female_name = quick

id = quick
			male_name = quick
			[effect]
				apply_to = movement
				increase = 1
			[/effect]
			[effect]
				apply_to = hitpoints
				increase_total = -5%
			[/effect]
		[/trait]
	[/modifications]
	[variables]
	[/variables]
	[filter_recall]
	[/filter_recall]
	[status]
	[/status]
[/unit]
[unit]
	attacks_left = 1
	cost = 28
	experience = 0
	extra_recruit = 
	facing = n
	flag_rgb = magenta
	gender = male
	generate_name = yes
	halo = 
	hitpoints = 50
	id = Captain Krag
	image_icon = 
	jamming = 0
	moves = 9
	name = Captain Krag
	overlays = 
	race = wolf
	random_traits = no
	recall_cost = -1
	resting = yes
	role = 
	type = Goblin Knight
	undead_variation = wolf
	underlying_id = 49
	unrenamable = no
	upkeep = loyal
	usage = scout
	variation = 
	vision = -1
	[modifications]
		[trait]
			female_name = loyal

id = loyal
			male_name = loyal
			[effect]
				apply_to = loyal
			[/effect]
			[effect]
				apply_to = overlay
			[/effect]
		[/trait]
		[trait]
			female_name = strong

id = strong
			male_name = strong
			[effect]
				apply_to = attack
				increase_damage = 1
				range = melee
			[/effect]
			[effect]
				apply_to = hitpoints
				increase_total = 1
			[/effect]
		[/trait]
		[object]
			[effect]
				add = misc/hero-icon.png
				apply_to = overlay
			[/effect]
			[effect]
				apply_to = ellipse
			[/effect]
		[/object]
		[object]
			duration = forever
			id = warg
			name = warg
			[filter]
				id = Captain Krag
			[/filter]
			[effect]
				apply_to = new_ability
				[abilities]
					[dummy]
						female_name = feeding
						id = feeding
						name = feeding
					[/dummy]
				[/abilities]
			[/effect]
			[effect]
				apply_to = new_ability
				[abilities]
					[leadership]
						affect_self = no
						cumulative = no

female_name = leadership
						id = leadership
						name = leadership
						[affect_adjacent]
							[filter]
							[/filter]
						[/affect_adjacent]
					[/leadership]
				[/abilities]
			[/effect]
		[/object]
	[/modifications]
	[abilities]
		[dummy]
			female_name = feeding
			id = feeding
			name = feeding
		[/dummy]
		[leadership]
			affect_self = no
			cumulative = no

female_name = leadership
			id = leadership
			name = leadership
			[affect_adjacent]
				[filter]
				[/filter]
			[/affect_adjacent]
		[/leadership]
	[/abilities]
	[variables]
	[/variables]
	[filter_recall]
	[/filter_recall]
	[status]
	[/status]
[/unit]
If I interpret this correctly, getting rid of the empty [leader][\leader] May well have corrected the problem, so let me know or I can keep looking or advise if someone else has a suggestion. Latest version I uploaded should not have that issue
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

ZIM wrote: January 16th, 2024, 11:47 am
It only happens when I'm trying to load that scenario. And I don't sync my Wesnoth user directory with OneDrive. If it helps, I did finish the previous scenario while debug mode is active, don't know if that has any effect.
what operating system are you using? someone mentioned it could be windows 7 specific. Also where did you get your wesnoth from ? (self-built/steam/downloaded from the homepage ?)
ZIM

Post by ZIM »

gfgtdf wrote: January 17th, 2024, 1:02 am
what operating system are you using? someone mentioned it could be windows 7 specific. Also where did you get your wesnoth from ? (self-built/steam/downloaded from the homepage ?)
I'm in Windows 10, and I downloaded it from sourceforge. Also I'm using version 1.17.23.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

ZIM wrote: January 17th, 2024, 5:16 am
gfgtdf wrote: January 17th, 2024, 1:02 am
I'm in Windows 10, and I downloaded it from sourceforge. Also I'm using version 1.17.23.
Ok thx, i filed a bugreport for this issue https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/issues/8255
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

The scenario 2 file has a typo due to which the campaign can't be started.

The following add-on had errors and could not be loaded:
    ~add-ons/Ascension/_main.cfg

Please report this to the author or maintainer of this add-on.

Details:

Unexpected characters after variable name (expected , or =)
    at ~add-ons/Ascension/scenarios/02_Anarchy.cfg:50
        included from ~add-ons/Ascension/_main.cfg:22
The typo is: [/modifications]s <.<

(Basically scenario has typo, scenario can't be loaded, add-on can't be loaded, and a campaign that's not loaded can't start.)

S2
under the orcs had fallen -> under the orcs it had fallen
?. -> ?!
must finish all -> must remove all

I assumed that all surviving orcs would join me at the end. Imagine my disappointment. D:

S3
are now too fearful -> were now too fearful
been on a boat before -> been on a boat before.

S4
Incompetant -> Incompetent
In S3 Crassus was an Ancient Lich, now they are back to being a normal Lich.
Mariners fight well -> (Mariners fight well
last! You -> last! You (double space)

S5
forward, Drakes -> Forward, Drakes

The scenario names are a bit odd.
1) Some scenarios are numbered (02, 03)
2) None of the scenarios start with the acronym or shorthand of the campaign.
Attachments
Landfall replay 20240131-193205.gz
(42.93 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
Detour replay 20240131-173908.gz
(47.71 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
03 Warchief replay 20240131-170621.gz
(48.38 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
02 Anarchy replay 20240131-164216.gz
S2, but more units kept
(25.75 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Annihilation replay 20240131-161840.gz
(14.86 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
02 Anarchy-Auto-Save16.gz
I can't keep them :((((
(39.76 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
redbeard2

Post by redbeard2 »

Konrad2 wrote: January 31st, 2024, 3:07 pm The scenario 2 file has a typo due to which the campaign can't be started.

The following add-on had errors and could not be loaded:
    ~add-ons/Ascension/_main.cfg

Please report this to the author or maintainer of this add-on.

Details:

Unexpected characters after variable name (expected , or =)
    at ~add-ons/Ascension/scenarios/02_Anarchy.cfg:50
        included from ~add-ons/Ascension/_main.cfg:22
The typo is: [/modifications]s <.<

(Basically scenario has typo, scenario can't be loaded, add-on can't be loaded, and a campaign that's not loaded can't start.)

S2
under the orcs had fallen -> under the orcs it had fallen
?. -> ?!
must finish all -> must remove all

I assumed that all surviving orcs would join me at the end. Imagine my disappointment. D:

S3
are now too fearful -> were now too fearful
been on a boat before -> been on a boat before.

S4
Incompetant -> Incompetent
In S3 Crassus was an Ancient Lich, now they are back to being a normal Lich.
Mariners fight well -> (Mariners fight well
last! You -> last! You (double space)

S5
forward, Drakes -> Forward, Drakes

The scenario names are a bit odd.
1) Some scenarios are numbered (02, 03)
2) None of the scenarios start with the acronym or shorthand of the campaign.
I eliminated the extra s that was causing issues

Fixed most typos/wording suggestions, though I couldn't find the Forward, Drakes, scenario 5 didn't even have drakes in it, I looked in scenario 4, maybe I'm just blind...
The Lich issue has to do with at first I figured the Lich Lords would all be Ancient Lichs, as they are, well, ancient, but given you have one of them helping you in scenario 6 I figured that was just too good, so they got made just Lichs. I just changed it so scenario 3 Crassus is just a Lich (that one got past me), but he does become an Ancient Lich in Kingdom of Dorth (I try to say he is gathering his power as he realizes he has a big battle coming, also why he doesn't raise dead for you). I do realize the transition of everyone to ancient lichs later is nonideal, but at least I try for some explanation...

For scenario 2, I have been contemplating changing the trigger from "occupy keep to get faction" to in essence "if you kill the leader you get his faction".

[event]
name=last breath

[filter]
id=X
[/filter]

[filter_second]
side=1
[/filter_second]

[modify_unit]
[filter]
side=X
[/filter]
side=1
moves=$this_unit.max_moves
[/modify_unit]
[allow_recruit]
side=1
type=X
[/allow_recruit]

I figure this could work but haven't tried it out, I could even put it so that ANY faction that kills another orcish leader gets their guys, so an enemy killing an enemy leader could be a problem. That would be good, though, in that I could get rid of the passive leader I put on everyone so you didn't just steal the leaders along with their factions.
-I might even allow the killing faction to allow you to get their villages as well, as they are switching loyalty.
I figure that modification will get rid of the problem of not getting the units you noted.

I can make new names but then have to make sure i change everything and don't break stuff...maybe scenario 2 can be "Jevyans Haven (not sure if apostrophe is allowed)", scenario 3 Fall of Southbay. I suppose others can be modified, let me know which you feel are the most odd, probably the single word ones if I had to guess, which is most of the initial ones...

I don't quite understand what you mean about the scenario numbering, I thought they have the numbers they are supposed to, maybe a little more guidance I can fix it.

I'm guessing the acronym you refer to is at the very top of the scenario?
#textdomain wesnoth-l
[scenario]

so that should be made into
#textdomain wesnoth-A
[scenario]

If I understand you correctly

My windows media player isn't letting me see the replays, not sure if there is a program that consistently works for that sort of thing...

By the way I appreciate the feedback, it's helpful and I really want this campaign to be as good as it can be, so I will work on what you suggested, I can resubmit with the scenario breaking extra S taken out for playability, the scenario 2 trigger will take a little longer to get, so that may be another update, but THANKS for taking the time and effort.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

My windows media player isn't letting me see the replays, not sure if there is a program that consistently works for that sort of thing...
Replays can be loaded by drag-and-drop the file into your saves folder and loading it as a save file from the Battle for Wesnoth client.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

redbeard2 wrote: February 1st, 2024, 4:22 am I eliminated the extra s that was causing issues

Fixed most typos/wording suggestions, though I couldn't find the Forward, Drakes, scenario 5 didn't even have drakes in it, I looked in scenario 4, maybe I'm just blind...
My bad, I mixed up the numbering, the Drakes typo is in S6.
For scenario 2, I have been contemplating changing the trigger from "occupy keep to get faction" to in essence "if you kill the leader you get his faction".

[event]
name=last breath

[filter]
id=X
[/filter]

[filter_second]
side=1
[/filter_second]

[modify_unit]
[filter]
side=X
[/filter]
side=1
moves=$this_unit.max_moves
[/modify_unit]
[allow_recruit]
side=1
type=X
[/allow_recruit]

I figure this could work but haven't tried it out, I could even put it so that ANY faction that kills another orcish leader gets their guys, so an enemy killing an enemy leader could be a problem. That would be good, though, in that I could get rid of the passive leader I put on everyone so you didn't just steal the leaders along with their factions.
-I might even allow the killing faction to allow you to get their villages as well, as they are switching loyalty.
I figure that modification will get rid of the problem of not getting the units you noted.
I remembered a scenario I recently played which had the functionality of transfering units and of transfering the villages.
Look up the macros used, I'm usre that will be useful. :)
https://www.wesnoth.org/macro-reference.html

{MODIFY_UNIT (side=4) side 1 }
        {TRANSFER_VILLAGE_OWNERSHIP 4 1}
Just to clarify, this flips all the units and villages of side 4 to side 1. So now you'd just have to think up an appropriate trigger.
I can make new names but then have to make sure i change everything and don't break stuff...maybe scenario 2 can be "Jevyans Haven (not sure if apostrophe is allowed)", scenario 3 Fall of Southbay. I suppose others can be modified, let me know which you feel are the most odd, probably the single word ones if I had to guess, which is most of the initial ones...

I don't quite understand what you mean about the scenario numbering, I thought they have the numbers they are supposed to, maybe a little more guidance I can fix it.
Sorry for the misunderstanding, let me rephrase that.
The scenario names the play sees for your campaign (up to where I've played):
Annihilation
02 Anarchy
03 Warchief
Detour
Landfall
Invasion
Ancient Fortress

Scenario names when I play The Unstoppable Legion:
UL-An Ulikely Hero
UL-More than a Match
UL-A Test of valour
and so on

Same for To Lands Unknown:
TLU-Highest Tiers
TLU-Central Palace
TLU-Near the Jungle
and so on

Both for UL and TLU I can see just by checking the name of the save file to which campaign this save belongs. And, more so, I can use the search function to reliably find them.
Does that make sense? :)
By the way I appreciate the feedback, it's helpful and I really want this campaign to be as good as it can be, so I will work on what you suggested, I can resubmit with the scenario breaking extra S taken out for playability, the scenario 2 trigger will take a little longer to get, so that may be another update, but THANKS for taking the time and effort.
Gladly. :) I enjoy the campaign so far, it's obvious that you put in some effort to make the objectives distinct. Thanks for that.

S6 Invasion
Crassus trying to defeat the main dwarvish leader (the southern one) instead of focusing on the purple one first feels a bit unfortunate. Any way you can make him target the purple one first?
It made me split up my army and likely delayed me quite a bit. D:

Also, those purple guards seem to go passive once you defeat their leader.

S7 Ancient Fortess
I had Iga earn some XP in 'Warchief', but said XP is gone now. :C

if you free me -> if you free me.

My personal gripe with the Rod of Justice is that all the other depictions I know of it say that anyone not pure of heart is straight up killed. :D
Attachments
Ancient Fortress replay 20240201-114207.gz
(42.39 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Invasion replay 20240201-112707.gz
(73.33 KiB) Downloaded 22 times