Ascension

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

white_haired_uncle

Re: Ascension

Post by white_haired_uncle »

Konrad2 wrote: February 1st, 2024, 10:07 am
I remembered a scenario I recently played which had the functionality of transfering units and of transfering the villages.
Look up the macros used, I'm usre that will be useful. :)
https://www.wesnoth.org/macro-reference.html

Code: Select all

{MODIFY_UNIT (side=4) side 1 }
        {TRANSFER_VILLAGE_OWNERSHIP 4 1}
Just to clarify, this flips all the units and villages of side 4 to side 1. So now you'd just have to think up an appropriate trigger.
Like using a last_breath event filtering on can_recruit, and using unit.side instead of "4", or something like that I suspect.

Scenario names when I play The Unstoppable Legion:
UL-An Ulikely Hero
UL-More than a Match
UL-A Test of valour
and so on

Same for To Lands Unknown:
TLU-Highest Tiers
TLU-Central Palace
TLU-Near the Jungle
and so on

Both for UL and TLU I can see just by checking the name of the save file to which campaign this save belongs. And, more so, I can use the search function to reliably find them.
Which probably means TLU has

Abbrev= _ "TLU"
in the [campaign] section of _main.cfg
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

S8 Kingdom of Dorth
It would be great if, when I move a wrong unit to an item, the unit said what kind of unit can use the item. (I mostly got confused by the short sword.)

The fight at the end would be greatly improved by some animation of the units.
Attachments
Kingdom of Dorth replay 20240201-131721.gz
(103.01 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
redbeard2

Post by redbeard2 »

I'll try to look into what suggestions I have had so far, there are a few...

in scenario Invasion where you take out the Dwarves in the desert, Crassus running off south has been an issue for me on my test plays too, I will probably put in impassable mountains to keep him from doing so and steer him towards purple. He actually has a programmed path to follow, but he ignores it as soon as he has been doing some fighting.

I can make it so that when Brurbar blasts the doors to the royal chambers in Kingdom of Dorth the King then deploys his Stalwarts, and makes some statement about making a last stand, maybe give him a last breath statement, might make it more dramatic?

I'm with you on the weapons, some of them are nonintuitive (the short sword, the buckler), I'll work on that.

Regarding Brurbar and the Rod of Justice, this is one I've thought about a fair amount. At least in Northern Rebirth, which is the only mainline campaign in which it is depicted, it mainly emphasizes being pure of heart and willing to sacrifice oneself for others to be able to use it, I dont think it emphasizes one dying if not pure of heart. It also talks about it improving their rulership and fairness. What does being pure of heart really mean? In NR you just put any random guy to take it and they get it, so is Tallin's group just a bunch of angels or what? I think the rod must have some degree of flexibility in purity. Brurbar, as an orc, may just have a different frame of reference, and this is something I want to show in my writing. He is a warrior, kills, and can be brutal, but almost all of the fights he is in, he is doing because he HAS to, not really because he enjoys slaughter (the Lich Lords are pushing him, he is fighting for survival against the Exiles, or trying to prevent the Elves from destroying him with the Ruby of Fire). I tried to include moments where Brurbar isn't excessively bloodthirsty (he spares Jessene in Battle for the North, he defies Crassus in Catastrophe because he doesn't want his soldiers to die needlessly). Given how comically evil orcs are in most campaigns, he's actually pretty moderate. My idea for Brurbar is he has taken power because he must do so to save orcs from the Lich Lords, and his goal is to forge a kingdom in the north where the orcs can hunt, and engage in raiding, but has little interest in slaughter for slaughter's sake. There's so much fighting maybe this doesn't come across well, I can try to tweak dialogue a bit, but I also don't want him to come across as a pacifist, because he absolutely isn't that.

Changing the numbers to the letter for names, so in the names there wouldn't be numbers anymore, but just the A in each scenarios name...that would make the order of scenarios a jumble in my file? That would I'm trying to follow the convention I see in Mainline campaigns, and it seems to always have the numbers...sorry if I'm being dense. The way it shows up for me they all have numbers, not just some...

Implementing all of this will take some time, but glad to do my best...
redbeard2

Post by redbeard2 »

Also, Iga loses his XP (as does Khrakrahs when you get him) because the only way I knew to make him go away and not show up on the recall list is to use the [kill] [/kill] command at the end without animation. I'm sure there are ways to have him stored, but I have been intimidated by any code I have examined that involved manipulating recall lists, especially as in Last Stand of the Orcs Iga shows up as a leader of a different faction, I just don't know how to code that sort of thing, "killing" him then "resurrecting" him as a technically distinct though identical unit was the way I found that made it work, at the cost of losing XP. Though given he can't advance to anything, it doesn't really matter. If it's VERY distracting to lose the XP I honestly don't know if I could change it without an extreme level of hand-holding with that kind of coding and I'd rather not have to...
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

redbeard2 wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 5:06 am Changing the numbers to the letter for names, so in the names there wouldn't be numbers anymore, but just the A in each scenarios name...that would make the order of scenarios a jumble in my file? That would I'm trying to follow the convention I see in Mainline campaigns, and it seems to always have the numbers...sorry if I'm being dense. The way it shows up for me they all have numbers, not just some...
You just need to add

abbrev= _ "A"
inside your [campaign][/campaign] tags.

Actually, since the name of your campaign is short (one word) I would recommend just using the full name instead:

abbrev= _ "Ascension"
white_haired_uncle

This is from memory, and may not be completely to your liking, but should get you started if I understand your post correctly.

[store_unit]
       [filter]
           id=iga
       [/filter]
       variable=iga_store
       kill=yes
[/store_unit]

{VARIABLE iga_store.side 5}
[unstore_unit]
    variable=iga_store
    x,y=13,5
    find_vacant=no
[/unstore_unit]
redbeard2

Post by redbeard2 »

I can experiment with that, to make it work for Last Stand I’d need to give and take away the ability to recruit, I’m confident such a command exists (the Naga leader from Southbay retains recruit ability which isn’t a problem, but would be nice to remove), getting that could help
white_haired_uncle

{VARIABLE iga_store.canrecruit yes}

Note, while there are some unit properties you can set without it, for a lot of them (and I suspect canrecruit is one) you must use store_unit/unstore_unit, so it's something you'll really want to be familiar with regardless of whether you use it here or not.

See https://wiki.wesnoth.org/SingleUnitWML
redbeard2

Post by redbeard2 »

Thanks, that code would be if he is stored? A code that works when he is on the field would be useful to try too
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

redbeard2 wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 5:06 am

I can make it so that when Brurbar blasts the doors to the royal chambers in Kingdom of Dorth the King then deploys his Stalwarts, and makes some statement about making a last stand, maybe give him a last breath statement, might make it more dramatic?
Sorry, I should have clarified that I meant
Spoiler:

Changing the numbers to the letter for names, so in the names there wouldn't be numbers anymore, but just the A in each scenarios name...that would make the order of scenarios a jumble in my file? That would I'm trying to follow the convention I see in Mainline campaigns, and it seems to always have the numbers...sorry if I'm being dense. The way it shows up for me they all have numbers, not just some...
I think you are mixing up the file name, and the scenario name. Only the scenario name is visible to the play when they play the game.
Let's look at scenario 1 as an example:
The file is named '01_Annihilation'. But the scenario is just named 'Annihilation', which is done in line 6 of the file: name= _ "Annihilation".

If we look at scenario 2 instead:
You (accidentally?) put name= _ "02_Anarchy", which is why the scenario name (which is visible to the player) is '02 Anarchy' instead of just 'Anarchy'.

About the letter at start of the save, white_haired_uncle already explained how to do that:
white_haired_uncle wrote: February 1st, 2024, 11:07 am
Konrad2 wrote: Same for To Lands Unknown:
TLU-Highest Tiers
TLU-Central Palace
TLU-Near the Jungle
and so on

Both for UL and TLU I can see just by checking the name of the save file to which campaign this save belongs. And, more so, I can use the search function to reliably find them.
Which probably means TLU has

Abbrev= _ "TLU"
in the [campaign] section of _main.cfg
white_haired_uncle

redbeard2 wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 3:06 pm Thanks, that code would be if he is stored? A code that works when he is on the field would be useful to try too
When you store a unit, you're making a copy. If you use kill=yes in [store_unit], the original goes away. So technically, it's not like a unit is "stored" or "on the field". Could be one, both, or neither. Hope that makes some sense. Oh, and "stored" and "on the recall list" are completely different things FWIW.

If you want to change something like (probably) canrecruit for a unit who is "on the field", store him (in a variable), change him, and unstore him. Of course, you'll have to kill=yes in [store_unit], otherwise you'll now (at least attempt to) have two extremely similar units.
redbeard2

Post by redbeard2 »

I've tried to hit more of the typo errors, scenario naming, and also put in some of the suggestions, such as Kingdom of Dorth has a message for each weapon as you approach them suggesting what can carry it. I made some of the Castle Dorth events a bit more animated. The final battle there still needs to be enhanced, as staged fighting is not something I have too many examples of. One such would be from Scepter of Fire:

[animate_unit]
flag=attack

[filter]
id=Glildur
[/filter]

[primary_attack]
name=bow
[/primary_attack]

hits=yes

[facing]
[filter]
id=Durstorn
[/filter]
[/facing]

[animate]
flag=defend

[filter]
id=Durstorn
[/filter]

hits=yes
text= _ "<i>Thud!</i>"
red=255
green=0
blue=0

[facing]
[filter]
id=Glildur
[/filter]
[/facing]
[/animate]
[/animate_unit]

I'll have to play around with adapting this, if possible, to see what makes it look good. I guess each fighter at least raising a staff and a flash of light will look interesting as opposed to just sound. I'm not sure if I want the combatants to be next to each other and projectiles don't travel across space

Anarchy (scenario 2) now when you kill leaders, who are no longer passive, you get their units and villages (though if an enemy kills a rival leader, they get units and villages too). It is not based on getting to keeps. This should solve the problem of not getting units.

On Invasion, there are now a bunch of impassible mountains that hopefully keep Crassus from running off south too early and getting himself killed.

I've rewritten the intro text to give Brurbar a bit more of a backstory, make him a bit more interesting.

The Iga thing will take a bit more work, but is on my to-do list.

Let me know what else can be improved upon. I am aware as I change things I may be creating new errors that in turn need fixing, so my apologies on that.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

redbeard2 wrote: February 4th, 2024, 6:53 am I've tried to hit more of the typo errors, scenario naming, and also put in some of the suggestions, such as Kingdom of Dorth has a message for each weapon as you approach them suggesting what can carry it. I made some of the Castle Dorth events a bit more animated.

Anarchy (scenario 2) now when you kill leaders, who are no longer passive, you get their units and villages (though if an enemy kills a rival leader, they get units and villages too). It is not based on getting to keeps. This should solve the problem of not getting units.

On Invasion, there are now a bunch of impassible mountains that hopefully keep Crassus from running off south too early and getting himself killed.

I've rewritten the intro text to give Brurbar a bit more of a backstory, make him a bit more interesting.

The Iga thing will take a bit more work, but is on my to-do list.
Thanks. :)

Let me know what else can be improved upon. I am aware as I change things I may be creating new errors that in turn need fixing, so my apologies on that.
Will do. And don't worry. :)

Battle for the North
enemt -> enemy

Arise -> Arise!
Fight with us -> Fight with us!
orcish forever -> orcish forever.

I noticed that a bit late, but Rassin Tabin demands upkeep.

Invasion of Wesmere (dw, I'm just skipping a little bit)
Spoiler:
(Btw did you intentionally disable the difficulties other than normal?)
Attachments
Last Stand of the Orcs replay 20240204-181104.gz
(107 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
redbeard2

Post by redbeard2 »

I did indeed not include any other difficulties, getting the campaign done with just one set of time limits, money, and events was enough, I will look at how to adjust income and starting money and time appropriately, but I will need to really review what sort of distribution is typical, the campaign in general is supposed to be medium or so difficulty, so I can add an easy or difficult, no nightmare (which in my opinion aren't even fun). So as I adjusted things for balance, I only touched the mid difficulty, so it will look bizarre.

Aah, Rassin Tabin...
Spoiler:
redbeard2

Post by redbeard2 »

I have tried to spice up the ending to Kingdom of Dorth, the animations are a shade off due to distance but I think it works. I applied similar code to Last Stand of the Orcs, so that the final confrontation there as well is more than just sound effects, not a huge difference there, but maybe makes it higher quality.

Let me know if the animations don't seem to work or are off somehow