Healing Terrains

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Do you think Wesnoth can use a new healing terrain?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 13

Temuchin Khan

Healing Terrains

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Sometimes, while making maps, I have used an oasis to replace a village because I found it useful to have healing at that location, but not income. But oases, of course, are desert-specific, so that strategy seems a little weird sometimes. So, it might be nice to have some other type of healing terrain, that would fit in with non-desert terrains. Maybe, it could be called "hot springs" or "mineral water fountain." Just an idea. What does everyone think?
Last edited by Elvish_Hunter on December 26th, 2023, 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Allowed re-voting
Elvish_Hunter

Re: Healing Terrains

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Temuchin Khan wrote: December 24th, 2023, 2:44 pm So, it might be nice to have some other type of healing terrain, that would fit in with non-desert terrains. Maybe, it could be called "hot springs" or "mineral water fountain."
I'm not aware of any hot springs terrains, but if you need a fountain I've found two of them in the UMC Terrain Pack, which is available in the 1.13 server.
Here there are the first frames, so you can check if they suit your need:
fountain-0.png
fountain-0.png (10.32 KiB) Viewed 2900 times
fountain-01.png
fountain-01.png (6.42 KiB) Viewed 2900 times
By the way, are you suggesting that a fountain terrain should be mainlined for that purpose?
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Thank you for finding those! And yes, I was hoping something like this could be mainlined.
Spannerbag

Post by Spannerbag »

FWIW I had a similar thought and repurposed ruined village terrain so it only provided shelter (defense and healing) but no economic benefits (no income or unit support).
Let me know if this would be of use to you (apologies if I am slow to reply, am presently away from home).
Cheers!
-- Spannerbag
SP Campaigns: After EI (v1.14) Leafsea Burning (v1.17, v1.16)
I suspect the universe is simpler than we think and stranger than we can know.
Also, I fear that beyond a certain point more intelligence does not necessarily benefit a species...
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Temuchin Khan wrote: December 24th, 2023, 2:44 pm Sometimes, while making maps, I have used an oasis to replace a village because I found it useful to have healing at that location, but not income. But oases, of course, are desert-specific, so that strategy seems a little weird sometimes. So, it might be nice to have some other type of healing terrain, that would fit in with non-desert terrains. Maybe, it could be called "hot springs" or "mineral water fountain." Just an idea. What does everyone think?
Shoot, can I take my no vote back please? I voted before reading the post. : ( Yep, this absolutely makes sense. I too have seen oases used in places where they make no sense. There's even a great classic map (Inanna's Oasis in Freeze) that is sort of based on this irony. The map is all frozen but has hot desert oases sprinkled throughout. While this was likely an intentional and desired effect I'm sure there are other cases where mappers used villages on maps where they didn't want them really.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Atreides wrote: December 26th, 2023, 5:12 pm Shoot, can I take my no vote back please?
Now you should be able to, because I enabled re-voting on this poll.
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Spannerbag wrote: December 26th, 2023, 11:03 am FWIW I had a similar thought and repurposed ruined village terrain so it only provided shelter (defense and healing) but no economic benefits (no income or unit support).
Let me know if this would be of use to you (apologies if I am slow to reply, am presently away from home).
Cheers!
-- Spannerbag
That sounds like a good idea, too!
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Temuchin Khan wrote: December 27th, 2023, 6:44 pm
Spannerbag wrote: December 26th, 2023, 11:03 am FWIW I had a similar thought and repurposed ruined village terrain so it only provided shelter (defense and healing) but no economic benefits (no income or unit support).
Cheers!
-- Spannerbag
The only thing about a Ruined Village is that it doesn't quite look the part. : ) The fountain has the right look I suspect. Healing Waters and all that jazz. Even better that it is animated.

P.S. Thanks Elven, however it didn't seem to work. Can't seem to change my vote. Ah well I think it is a clear cut result anyways.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Atreides wrote: December 27th, 2023, 9:05 pm
Temuchin Khan wrote: December 27th, 2023, 6:44 pm
Cheers!
-- Spannerbag
The only thing about a Ruined Village is that it doesn't quite look the part. : ) The fountain has the right look I suspect. Healing Waters and all that jazz. Even better that it is animated.

P.S. Thanks Elven, however it didn't seem to work. Can't seem to change my vote. Ah well I think it is a clear cut result anyways.
I agree. Initially, I liked the idea of repurporsing ruined villages, but as I thought it over, I realized it could be confusing.

Better to use the fountain!
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Atreides wrote: December 27th, 2023, 9:05 pm P.S. Thanks Elven,
Well... Elven is a different user :P
Atreides wrote: December 27th, 2023, 9:05 pm however it didn't seem to work. Can't seem to change my vote.
Indeed you're correct. I checked your permissions and found out that normal registered users can't change their vote in a poll; I'll see with Pentarctagon what the best action to fix this issue will be.

EDIT: permissions for registered users have been updated, so they can change their vote if the poll allows it.
Last edited by Elvish_Hunter on December 28th, 2023, 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Permissions update
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Cool, it works now.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Thanks for the positive responses, everyone! Glad to see people responding positively to this idea!
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

I usually make such terrains with a place_image and a turn event. Caveat is that they do not appear as special hexes on the minimap.
Not sure the fountain would be the best choice though. Seems a bit too urban to me, so they would fit well in a place where a house (village) would also fit.
Great Tree could be repurposed for such a usage maybe.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

lhybrideur wrote: February 6th, 2024, 8:11 am I usually make such terrains with a place_image and a turn event. Caveat is that they do not appear as special hexes on the minimap.
Not sure the fountain would be the best choice though. Seems a bit too urban to me, so they would fit well in a place where a house (village) would also fit.
Great Tree could be repurposed for such a usage maybe.
I know. That's why I also suggested "hot springs" and "mineral water."
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Ah yes, I was mostly replying to the two fountain terrains that were posted. Hot spring could fit indeed.