[mod] Ideas to improve control and information when replaying saves

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
demario

[mod] Ideas to improve control and information when replaying saves

Post by demario »

I have been working a bit on a mod to improve support to replay saves from old versions.
This feature is desired by various people in the community of competitive 1v1 wesnoth.

Since then, I've checked different broadcasters that I find quite interesting and entertaining. Still sometimes I can't help cringe at the limitations of the engine that limit their ability to show useful information easily. One of the source of these limitations is that it is mandatory to load a save with the version of BfW that save was generated on, with the bugs present in that version (so different saves, potentially different issues with the interface :( ). That limitation disappears with the use of backward replay support on the current version of BfW.

So, I would like to hear people (competitors, content makers and viewers) on different features they would like to be available while replaying saves for analysis or broadcast. I have read the open tickets on the topic of replays, but they are surprisingly wide ranging and with possibly no use for analysis and broadcasting.

I will mention explicitly the following features:
  • loading replay in MP which is a very interesting idea. That would help creating study rooms on the MP server where skilled players could drive discussions on specific games.
    It could also support loading some historical saves for viewing by people on the lobby (possibly through a bot)
  • save editor that would able to store comments and variations in tactics
While very good ideas, at this time they look beyond reach.

So what do you think would be the best features to add when replaying saves?
Last edited by demario on January 8th, 2024, 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
demario

Re: [mod] Ideas to improve control and information when replaying saves

Post by demario »

I think one of the area that could be improved to help analysis and broadcast of replays is the status table.

Providing various consolidated statistics would be a good complement to the details shown on turn-by-turn basis during the replay.
On the other hand, having statistics linked to different units (how many kills, major kills...) could also be used to build viewer connection to certain units while they are evolving over a campaign.

A summary of possible additional information to show in the status table is available in this post (2010).
McShrimp

Re: [mod] Ideas to improve control and information when replaying saves

Post by McShrimp »

Hi there,

Great Idea!!
How's the project going?
I can see myself moving into casting and would love a feature to go backwards or (presumably much easier), jump back and forth to certain turns.

gl anyway
Shrimps