Leafsea Burning (1.16)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Spannerbag

Leafsea Burning (1.16)

Post by Spannerbag »

Feedback and comments thread for Leafsea Burning on BfW v1.16.
Please feel free to post suggestions, bugs, comments etc. here.

I hope you enjoy playing my campaign.

Cheers!
-- Spannerbag
SP Campaigns: After EI (v1.14) Leafsea Burning (v1.17, v1.16)
I suspect the universe is simpler than we think and stranger than we can know.
Also, I fear that beyond a certain point more intelligence does not necessarily benefit a species...
white_haired_uncle

Re: Leafsea Burning (1.16)

Post by white_haired_uncle »

S3: as fas as possible

Woodhale: +10 to offensive ranged attack (well, sort of)

error config: Error while loading the map: Unknown tile in map: (Wwf^Soys) 'Wwf^Soys' # 1.16.10, FWIW
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
Spannerbag

Post by Spannerbag »

white_haired_uncle wrote: January 18th, 2024, 3:31 pm S3: as fas as possible...
Are you actually enjoying the campaign so far, or not?
What difficulty are you playing on BTW?

white_haired_uncle wrote: January 18th, 2024, 3:31 pm error config: Error while loading the map: Unknown tile in map: (Wwf^Soys) 'Wwf^Soys' # 1.16.10, FWIW
Yeah, that error crops up in the logs. It's a custom terrain thing. My understanding (based on what people cleverer than me have said) is that the game doesn't know what to do about that terrain on the minimap. It doesn't seem to impact gameplay. If I knew how to fix it I would :?

Cheers!
-- Spannerbag
Also, I fear that beyond a certain point more intelligence does not necessarily benefit a species...
white_haired_uncle

I'm playing on easy, since no one ever tests that, and I'm more interested in custom units/etc than anything else.

S4 was an interesting ride. First I was worried that I had not positioned correctly initially, and wouldn't be able to fix it with the horde up in my face. Then I wanted to recruit as many units as possible (elite, of course), but worried that I'd be too packed in to rotate and heal. Then it was really fun for awhile, up until about the death of the first orc leader (I went clockwise). Getting to/through the second orc leader was pretty brutal, and I'm concerned about the units I lost. At this point, it was very close to getting extremely tedious but recovered. FWIW, the tide played only a minor part (barely noticed it after the first couple minutes) as there were too many other things going on. Oh, and maybe cut down on the number of times I need to click to acknowledge a tide effect on a unit, after the first few I'd prefer just to let them say something, wait a second or two, then move on.
Spoiler:
Then, as I was skipping through the blah, blah, blah, more blah, blah, will you shut up already, blah, blah at the beginning of S5, before I could stop myself I clicked right past the info about units. I only saw enough to know I wish I had read it. How about a menu item to review important stuff? Even if I had paid attention, I might not remember tomorrow(?) when I come back to play again.
Spannerbag

Post by Spannerbag »

white_haired_uncle wrote: January 19th, 2024, 12:15 am ...Oh, and maybe cut down on the number of times I need to click to acknowledge a tide effect on a unit, after the first few I'd prefer just to let them say something, wait a second or two, then move on.
OK, can do something about that, thanks.
+ Added to todo list.
white_haired_uncle wrote: January 19th, 2024, 12:15 am Then, as I was skipping through the blah, blah, blah, more blah, blah, will you shut up already, blah, blah at the beginning of S5, before I could stop myself I clicked right past the info about units. I only saw enough to know I wish I had read it. How about a menu item to review important stuff? Even if I had paid attention, I might not remember tomorrow(?) when I come back to play again.
Yeah, I wish I could think of a way to compress the explanation but I feel it's needed so the player knows what's going on.
I suppose I could add a note in objectives?
Would that work, or would you prefer a context menu item?
(I find as a player I often forget they're there - but maybe that's just my awful memory...) :roll:

Query:
Spoiler:
Cheers!
-- Spannerbag
white_haired_uncle

If the explanation is lengthy, I'd make it a menu item. A reminder in the objectives to check the menu item?

Can't address dialog, I don't read it.
Spannerbag

Post by Spannerbag »

white_haired_uncle wrote: January 19th, 2024, 11:09 am If the explanation is lengthy, I'd make it a menu item. A reminder in the objectives to check the menu item?
Good idea.
+ Added to todo list.
white_haired_uncle wrote: January 19th, 2024, 11:09 am Can't address dialog, I don't read it.
Well, hopefully the later scenarios will still make sense :)

Have adjusted drowning so dialogue is always a [message] for player units but for ai units only first unit issues a[message] and thereafter is [floating_text] in ai unit's side colour.
Will test this - probably later this week after implementing other todos as well - and see how it works in-game.

Cheers!
-- Spannerbag
white_haired_uncle

Screenshot_2024-01-19_09-21-54.png
Is this because I'm on 1.16 not 1.17...

spartan$ locate miner.png | grep -v timeshift
/opt/wesnoth-1.17/share/wesnoth/data/core/images/units/dwarves/miner.png
/opt/wesnoth-1.17-git/share/wesnoth/data/core/images/units/dwarves/miner.png
/usr/local/share/wesnoth/data/campaigns/Sceptre_of_Fire/images/units/dwarves/miner.png
/usr/local/share/wesnoth/data/campaigns/Secrets_of_the_Ancients/images/units/dwarves/miner.png
/usr/share/games/wesnoth/1.16/data/campaigns/Sceptre_of_Fire/images/units/dwarves/miner.png
/usr/share/games/wesnoth/1.16/data/campaigns/Secrets_of_the_Ancients/images/units/dwarves/miner.png
Spannerbag

Post by Spannerbag »

white_haired_uncle wrote: January 19th, 2024, 2:22 pm Screenshot_2024-01-19_09-21-54.png

Is this because I'm on 1.16 not 1.17...

spartan$ locate miner.png | grep -v timeshift
/opt/wesnoth-1.17/share/wesnoth/data/core/images/units/dwarves/miner.png
/opt/wesnoth-1.17-git/share/wesnoth/data/core/images/units/dwarves/miner.png
/usr/local/share/wesnoth/data/campaigns/Sceptre_of_Fire/images/units/dwarves/miner.png
/usr/local/share/wesnoth/data/campaigns/Secrets_of_the_Ancients/images/units/dwarves/miner.png
/usr/share/games/wesnoth/1.16/data/campaigns/Sceptre_of_Fire/images/units/dwarves/miner.png
/usr/share/games/wesnoth/1.16/data/campaigns/Secrets_of_the_Ancients/images/units/dwarves/miner.png
Aw damnit!!!
I know what's happened, yes it's using the v1.17 media.
I tested the thing to death (both versions) and it was fine let's just say I had a few niggles with _server.pbl on 1.16 and in my haste when I saved earlier versions I mucked up the source version :augh:
I suspect some undead might be broken too...
I'll issue an update soon, trouble is I'm halfway through other fixes so I'll have to rollback those first. :annoyed:

Thanks for pointing this out, very annoyed with myself...

Cheers!
-- Spannerbag
Spannerbag

Re: Leafsea Burning (1.16) Update 1.1.1

Post by Spannerbag »

Updated to v1.1.1
Rush job to fix missing media but in haste managed to avoid tidying up properly hence the multiple updates.
Current to dos:
- Add menu item listing significant details for a scenario.

Cheers!
-- Spannerbag
white_haired_uncle

S08b: Survive? AGAIN? At least it turned out to be nothing but training for my berzerker (with a healer standing next to him).

S08b: Hew says his name is "Hew". For a dwarf, that's kind of short.

S09: Most of the civilians advanced fighting the wolves. I wonder if you take this into account in the objectives.

S10: Unknown unit type Skeleton Rider.
bradleytr

Post by bradleytr »

Thanks for information
white_haired_uncle

20240120 14:06:45 error display: could not open image 'units/elves-wood/fighter/fighter.png'
20240120 14:06:46 error display: could not open image 'units/elves-wood/fighter/fighter-se-run1.png'
20240120 14:06:46 error display: could not open image 'units/elves-wood/fighter/fighter-se-run7.png'
20240120 14:06:46 error display: could not open image 'units/elves-wood/fighter/fighter-melee-1.png'
20240120 14:06:46 error display: could not open image 'units/elves-wood/fighter/fighter-melee-4.png'
20240120 14:06:46 error display: could not open image 'units/elves-wood/fighter/fighter-defend2.png'

I'm confused. In my recall list, some units say "elite", and some don't but have a special icon thingy.

Final dwarf battle: Not much of a fight at all
Spoiler:
Final elf battle: A challenge worthy of a final battle IMO. Not too hard, not too soft, just right.

Overall: A lot of fun. Maybe packed a little too much into each scenario (units/AMLAs, tides, non-standard objectives, etc). I kind of feel like I went on a vacation and saw everything and did everything, but it took every last minute and I never took any time to just chill.
Spannerbag

Post by Spannerbag »

Edit: Decided to remove this add-on for now, get it properly fixed and tested then re-publish.
white_haired_uncle wrote: January 20th, 2024, 4:13 pm S08b: Survive? AGAIN? At least it turned out to be nothing but training for my berzerker (with a healer standing next to him).

S08b: Hew says his name is "Hew". For a dwarf, that's kind of short.

S09: Most of the civilians advanced fighting the wolves. I wonder if you take this into account in the objectives.

S10: Unknown unit type Skeleton Rider.
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

S08b: Ah... I'd hoped that there was enough variation between the scenarios so that the gameplay would remain engaging.
Apparently not :(
Heh, when I tried to use the 'zerk it got killed in short order. :doh:
Hew... mmm... I'll have a think but TBH that ain't a priority just now - any suggestions?

S09:
Spoiler:
S10: should be fixed, thanks.

Re. your second post:
white_haired_uncle wrote: January 20th, 2024, 7:07 pm 20240120 14:06:45 error display: could not open image 'units/elves-wood/fighter/fighter.png'
20240120 14:06:46 error display: could not open image 'units/elves-wood/fighter/fighter-se-run1.png'
20240120 14:06:46 error display: could not open image 'units/elves-wood/fighter/fighter-se-run7.png'
20240120 14:06:46 error display: could not open image 'units/elves-wood/fighter/fighter-melee-1.png'
20240120 14:06:46 error display: could not open image 'units/elves-wood/fighter/fighter-melee-4.png'
20240120 14:06:46 error display: could not open image 'units/elves-wood/fighter/fighter-defend2.png'
Weird, can't find any reference to these strings in any of the v16 campaign .cfg files.
Will have to play through from start to replicate.

white_haired_uncle wrote: January 20th, 2024, 7:07 pm I'm confused. In my recall list, some units say "elite", and some don't but have a special icon thingy.
Understandable, recruited units are the same as regulars (except for the elite icon) until they reach maximum level and become "Elite...".
I would guess that those units with the icon but not the "Elite" title are lower than maximum level for their type?
white_haired_uncle wrote: January 20th, 2024, 7:07 pm Final dwarf battle: Not much of a fight at all
Spoiler:
Do you think the player choice adds anything to gameplay?
I'd appreciate any suggestions as to how to make this scenario more enjoyable.
Spoiler:
white_haired_uncle wrote: January 20th, 2024, 4:13 pm Final elf battle: A challenge worthy of a final battle IMO. Not too hard, not too soft, just right.
Phew, got something more or less right anyway :)

Backporting from 1.17 has proven to be a mistake, I messed up the source repository and copied over some code I shouldn't so the v16 code is now broken.

Thanks ever so much for the feedback, sorry that you found so many bugs and issues.

Cheers!
-- Spannerbag
Last edited by Spannerbag on January 22nd, 2024, 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
white_haired_uncle

The image errors occur in Slaughter. It looks like playing easy may help. Elvish Fighter Ghost. See also units/undead.cfg.

Hew's name: I think he's supposed to say something like, "Hew, son of Dulthalios, who forged the Silver Spork when...". I just remember Lethalia got chewed out for not saying her name right when she was introduced to a dwarf.

Check out the attached. I can recall an elvish archer who is probably "elite" (I pretty much ONLY recruited the special ones, and he has an icon), or I can recruit one that has elite in the name. Since their unit type names are different, there must be something different about them, right?

S09: Working from memory here... The civies advanced pretty early. When they left for the east, I want to say there were like 8 of them (and a handful of advanced units) and I had to get 6(?) to the border. Anyway, I just remember that if only 2 or 3 more had advanced I wouldn't have 6(?) to complete the scenario. Hmm, was that the scenario where they were recruited/recalled with "random" XP (IDK, perhaps these were recalls from an earlier scenario, I just remember they came out with XP, but not the same every time) -- maybe they advance too easy?
Spoiler:
Surprised you pulled the campaign, it's totally playable as is.
Attachments
LSB-Slaughter.gz
(31.97 KiB) Downloaded 17 times