How to build non "+dev" version from source?

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
dwarftough

How to build non "+dev" version from source?

Post by dwarftough »

Hi! Wanted to test MP in the newest versions, but when I build and open Wesnoth, I get 1.17.26+dev and when I enter the MP lobby, it's empty. As far as I remember, 1.17.* + dev and just 1.17.* from user sources have different MP lobbies. How do I build non "+dev" to get an actual lobby with players?
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Developer and maintainer of my fork of World Conquest, Invincibles Conquest II
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: How to build non "+dev" version from source?

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

dwarftough wrote: February 24th, 2024, 3:52 pm Hi! Wanted to test MP in the newest versions, but when I build and open Wesnoth, I get 1.17.26+dev and when I enter the MP lobby, it's empty. As far as I remember, 1.17.* + dev and just 1.17.* from user sources have different MP lobbies. How do I build non "+dev" to get an actual lobby with players?
You can try detaching HEAD from the commits to end it on the commit that tagged "1.17.26"
In Git, the detached HEAD state occurs when the HEAD does not point to a branch, but instead points to a specific commit or the remote repository. In both of the diagrams in the previous section, HEAD points to the most recent commit in the currently checked out branch, which is its normal state.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

It doesn't matter whether it's a detached HEAD or not - what matters is just that it's built from the commit that's been tagged "1.17.26". Technically, it's just a file in the source tree that gets changed when creating that version, and then immediately changed again in the next commit.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Practically you just need to ask which port is used for 1.18 server, and connect to it directly.
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

octalot wrote: February 24th, 2024, 4:49 pm It doesn't matter whether it's a detached HEAD or not - what matters is just that it's built from the commit that's been tagged "1.17.26". Technically, it's just a file in the source tree that gets changed when creating that version, and then immediately changed again in the next commit.
Alright, I build from the latest commit on the branch of the target version, instead should've used the tag, got it, I'll try.
Ravana wrote: February 24th, 2024, 8:24 pm Practically you just need to ask which port is used for 1.18 server, and connect to it directly.
So... which port does the 1.18 server use? :D
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

1.18 server is not up yet. You can connect to port 14997 to get to the 1.17 server.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

Soliton wrote: February 25th, 2024, 5:52 pm 1.18 server is not up yet. You can connect to port 14997 to get to the 1.17 server.
Alright, it works, thanks