Wesnoth 1.18.0 — Draconic Invasions Update

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Wesnoth 1.18.0 — Draconic Invasions Update

Post by Pentarctagon »

Wesnoth 1.18.0 — the Draconic Invasions Update — has arrived!

Screenshot Screenshot Screenshot

After two and a half years of development and thousands of commits made by dozens of contributors, the Battle for Wesnoth development team is proud to announce the availability of version 1.18.0 on Windows, macOS, and Linux! This release features many new additions as well as refinements to existing content including a new Drake campaign, a full remake of our oldest Loyalist campaign, greatly improved graphical performance, major balance changes for multiplayer, achievements, many enhancements to the editor, and so much more!

A full list of changes and new features added since version 1.16 can be found in the release notes for this series.

Contributors

Wesnoth 1.18.0 was made possible by the contributions of many, many people all over the world. In no particular order, we would like to thank:

alberic89, Alexander Lacson, Amir Hassan, ancestral, Andrei BENCSIK, Arnav Vijaywargiya, Astrid Halberkamp, AugustVesterbacka, Bruno Macabeus, Celtic Minstrel, Charles Dang, Cody Burchell, Dalas121, Daniel Bruno, Daniel Diefenthaler, Daniel Foerster, Daniel Santos, demario, Descacharrado, Discontinuum, Đoàn Trần Công Danh, doofus-01, Dou1622, Elvish_Hunter, Eric Gallager, Eugene, Evan Miller, Ferk, fujimo-t, gfgtdf, Goncalo Gomes, Gothyoba, Grzegorz Halat, Gunter Labes, Gwyn Ciesla, Hejnewar, inferno8, Iris Morelle, irregularBismuth, Ivo Julca, Jason Stephenson, Jonathan-Kelly, kabachuha, Kingofd, Larkin Nickle, larry_the_cow, lomekragow, loonycyborg, Luis Miguel Iglesias Sánchez, Luther, macabeus, Martin Hrubý (hrubymar10), Martin Liska, mattsc, max-torch, MechanicalDragon963, Michal Fusatý, Michal Žejdl, Miguel Magno, MJ, nemaara, newfrenchy83, Nils Kneuper, OrekOrek, Pentarctagon, P. J. McDermott, PointMeAtTheDawn, Rafael Silva, Ryan Schmidt, Sergey Popov, Severin Glöckner, Severin Schoepke, shijie.chen, Slayer95, smokespren, spixi, Steve Cotton, Subhraman Sarkar, SyedSaifuddin045, Tahsin Jahin Khalid, TheFlamelet, TheShadowOfHassen, Till Noffke, tofilwiktor, Tommy, Toom, Toranks, User, VALiUM, V N, walodar, Wedge009, zBugH1, and our many current and past translators, artists, musicians, and anyone we might have missed.

Do you want to help shape the future of Wesnoth? You are always free to join us on Discord or the #wesnoth-dev IRC channel on irc.libera.chat to ask for help with getting started!

Downloads
Steam
The latest stable version of Wesnoth is published on Steam and regularly receives translation updates between releases.
Itch.io
The latest stable version of Wesnoth is also published on itch.io. A standalone portable download is also available.
Windows installer
SHA256 sum: 5920aaa24828ff9048f59bed49ab1ba670209333aa114a98d1643a88cfc7c7f8
macOS package
SHA256 sum: 3d031b9dde4f914743df3ab9c5b3f8f483d57df32fed58d7859593b237cb5397
Source code
SHA256 sum: 2cdc75b97c3437e6490f1982c7938e87d5dcbe29ca8aed32a8d13b25e06939c0
Linux
All known Linux packagers have been contacted, and binaries for your distribution may have already been created. Information about where to get the respective binaries and how to install them, including via Flatpak, can be found on the Linux binaries page in the wiki.

Changes since 1.17.26

Read on for more details about the most notable fixes and additions since the previous stable release. A full list of changes may be found in our changelog.
General
  • Stretched portraits
    Fixed portraits appearing stretched in the in-game help if they didn't have roughly equal width and height.
  • Pixelated portraits
    Fixed portraits appearing heavily pixelated when using the pixel scale multiplier on larger displays.
  • Campaign difficulty laurels
    Fixed the laurels always appearing golden when changing difficulty mid campaign.
  • Campaign outro fade
    Fixed the text fading being so fast as to be unnoticeable in campaigns' outro.
  • Recall filtering
    It is now possible to filter your recall list by unit alignment.
The multiplayer server for 1.18 is up and running. This server allows players using all stable releases from this series.

The add-ons server for 1.18 is already running. It was started for 1.17.26 and it serves all stable releases from this series.
If you encounter any problems involving add-ons not working as expected, please notify the content’s author or maintainer.

If you find any bugs, do not hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to report bugs first! As bug reports in the forums tend to be forgotten, you will get better results using our bug tracker. We require your help for finding and fixing issues, no matter how obvious, trivial, or complicated they seem!

Have fun!
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Re: Wesnoth 1.18.0 — Draconic Invasions Update

Post by Ravana »

Ambush ability terrain filter for new types of forest terrain was also in this version.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

I'm seeing two different values for the Windows installer SHA256 sum:
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

gnombat wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 12:24 pm I'm seeing two different values for the Windows installer SHA256 sum:
Looks like a copy/paste error on my part, I've fixed the post.
unterwassermann

Post by unterwassermann »

Was it intentional to make the new sergeant look chinese? I thought loyalists were more inspired from european medieval fantasy.
It would make more sense to add a chinese troop to the dunefolk they already have some chinese inspired troops.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

I'm not sure what about it looks Chinese to be honest.
Issacharian

Post by Issacharian »

I just started playing the with the new update and think most changes look fine, but I have one big gripe that I hope can be reverted. The health bars and exp bars above each unit are no longer color-coded to display values. They are in fact very hard to see and I really hope they can be reverted to the old system easily. They were very easy to see before and the colors gave a very good indication at a glance of unit health and exp, PLEASE REVERT back to old system!
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

What do you mean they aren't color coded? The hp bar still goes from green to orange to red for example.
Issacharian

Post by Issacharian »

I mean the small bars on each individual unit on the map, not the large info panel on the right side of the screen. The info panel is still color coded, yes, but that doesn't give you a nice visual of the situation on the map. All the bars on the units on the map appear some sort of pale color, very hard to see or distinguish from the background. Unless my PC is doing something strange graphically, which I doubt.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

I'm not sure what you mean. Can you post a screenshot?
unterwassermann

Pentarctagon wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 11:34 pm I'm not sure what about it looks Chinese to be honest.
The plumed lamellar helmet.
chinese armors.jpg
sergant18.png
sergant18.png (1.1 KiB) Viewed 3264 times
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamellar_helmet:
The lamellar helmet (German language: Lamellenhelm, plural Lamellenhelme) was a type of helmet used in Europe during the Early Middle Ages.
So it's certainly not exclusively Chinese.
unterwassermann

European ones were more often spangenhelms than lamellar ones, the lamellar helm with leather sides is iconic for the East, which the current sergeant looks like.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

It's not a connection I immediately make, at least. I would assume it wasn't the intention, given the design of the rest of the Loyalist faction though, as you noted.
Issacharian

Post by Issacharian »

Pentarctagon wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 5:59 am I'm not sure what you mean. Can you post a screenshot?
You see the little vertical bars above each unit that denote health and exp progress? Those are very pale, used to be quite colorful and easy to see, thus giving a very easy method of viewing the tactical situation rather than having to click each unit and look to the large info panel on the right of the screen.
Attachments
Wesnoth pic.jpg