Addon Feedack

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mkey

Addon Feedack

Post by mkey »

Hello all.

I was looking through the forum and other venues (steam, addon server) for a way to ask some basic addon related questions/submit feedback.

This is regarding some issues with 2 addons: "Less Random" mod by by Vasya N and "No Randomness Mod" by Dugi.

Searching this forum I was not able to find a suitable location to ask about this.

My game version is 1.1.18 and I play Wesnosth on Manjaro, but I find it doubtful the platform is relevant. I've been liking the game quite a lot, more the more that I play, but I would like to find some way to soften a bit rough edges around randomness.

Anyway, what I found is that these addons to not appear to be working correctly on 1.1.18. Are they expected to?
Addon server states Less Random was updated on 22nd of March, while No Randomness was updated on 24th. Maybe that's just an automatic thing, setting of that date, which to me is a bit confusing.

So, when I start a new campaign (tutorial) and strike quintain with No Randomness turned on (in the campaign settings when starting a new campaign, I am not aware that there is some other way this should/has to be done) I'll get these errors. Which to me read like this addon is not really supported any longer. Is that correct? If so, I think it would serve everyone well that it was removed from the addon server.

Code: Select all

20240331 12:05:12 error deprecation: helper.lua has been deprecated and will be removed in version 1.19.0.; Everything in this module has been moved into the core modules

20240331 12:05:36 error scripting/lua: ~add-ons/No_Randomness_Mod/no_randomness_mod.lua:36: bad argument #2 to 'setmetatable' (nil or table expected, got string)
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function '.setmetatable'
	~add-ons/No_Randomness_Mod/no_randomness_mod.lua:36: in field 'deepcopy'
	~add-ons/No_Randomness_Mod/no_randomness_mod.lua:34: in field 'deepcopy'
	~add-ons/No_Randomness_Mod/no_randomness_mod.lua:34: in field 'deepcopy'
	~add-ons/No_Randomness_Mod/no_randomness_mod.lua:62: in local 'modify_unit_for_no_random'
	~add-ons/No_Randomness_Mod/no_randomness_mod.lua:112: in local 'cmd'
	lua/wml-utils.lua:145: in field 'handle_event_commands'
	lua/wml-flow.lua:5: in function <lua/wml-flow.lua:4>
	[C]: in ?
On the other hand, Less Random does what it's supposed to, it applies the multiplier, but it seems to apply it once per level. For example, here you can see the footpad vs the outlaw. The footpad multiplier is 3 (as per my setting, I believe I went with the default) while outlaw was multiplied by 9. And this happens only with player characters, everyone else is multiplied only by 3. So, my level 2 guys are kind of overpowering everyone on the field, which is funny but not fun. I would expect level 3 guys would go up by a factor of 27.

Any and all suggestions/instruction welcome, thank you.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Re: Addon Feedack

Post by Ravana »

error deprecation: helper.lua is information that in 1.18 it works, but in 1.19 it wont work anymore.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Ravana wrote: March 31st, 2024, 12:07 pm error deprecation: helper.lua is information that in 1.18 it works, but in 1.19 it wont work anymore.
Presumably the other error is what is causing the addon to be broken.
mkey wrote: March 31st, 2024, 10:23 am I think it would serve everyone well that it was removed from the addon server.
Well, the addon does appear to be in violation of rule 7(c) for the addons server, but removing an addon from the server is a pretty drastic step - I think it would be better to try to report the issue to the addon author first. There is a topic for the No Randomness Mod; I would recommend posting the issue in that topic.

The Less Random addon does not appear to have a topic. You could try contacting the author directly with a private message.
vasya
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by vasya »

Hi @mkey.
@Ravana has kindly raised an issue referencing your problem: https://github.com/vgaming/less_random/issues/1
However, when I try to test the functionality locally, everything seems to work.

Could you please help me bisecting the problem? First of all, can you try and check if the add-on works for you on one of the basic starting maps, when only Less Random (and optionally Plan Unit Advance / XP Mod) are enabled? Second, if you see that you're experiencing the bug even with the latest Less Random version, can you please paste which settings do you use exactly? E.g. which map, which add-ons do you have.

In short, I suspect that another mod (maybe No Randomness Mod) simply conflicts with LessRandom. E.g. if it's doing some unit copying, and doing it incorrectly. The test above should reveal if that's the case.

Also, feel free to reply on github. I react to github much quicker than the forums.
mkey

Post by mkey »

@gnombat OK, thanks for clearing that up.

If removal of the addon is considered too drastic, maybe a good move would be to have it marked as incompatible with the current version.
Everything you look at on the server tells you that addon is up to date, while it appears not to be, leading to confusion. Needlessly, IMO.

For my randomness purposes, I tried switching over to "experimental RNG" and that seems to be working a lot better for my taste.

@vasya I see what you mean. At the time this occurred I had installed and checked:

Bloody_Mod_PSR
Color_Modification
Dead_Bodies
Dead_Bodies_terrain -> I think this one is applied automatically with the main addon
less_random
Reflection
Road_Movement_Bonus
Unit_Stats
XP_Bank
Ultimate_Recruits -> I have this one installed, but it's not appearing on the list of modifications when starting a new campaign
WoL_Faction_Flags -> ditto
All addon versions should be the latest ones. Your addon multiplier setting is 3.

I'll restart the campaign with less_random only and see what's going on. Ultimate recruits addon looks a bit suspicious.
mkey

Post by mkey »

Yes, I can confirm that with all the listed addons checked the issue does not appear to exist. This would be in the A Tale of Two Brothers campaign. Initially I noticed the issue in the Liberty campaign.

I also realized the ultimate recruits addon is a MP addon, silly me. And now I noticed the 0.6.2. update of the Less Random addon.
vasya
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by vasya »

@mkey Nice! So which exact add-on is the culprit then? E.g. if you try to enable things back to the old state until it breaks again.

If we find out, I can add it Less Random's description. As in, "known conflicting add-ons".

At least, if you have time to check that, I'd appreciate the info. Otherwise, cheers :)
mkey

Post by mkey »

Are you aware of any campaigns where you start off with a level 2 unit?
vasya
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by vasya »

@mkey nope. Ah wait, I think I've realized how that could've happened. Maybe if you *transition* between campaigns, the units are copied and thus the bug gets triggered. Gotta test that. I think there were some "chat" commands to win the current scenario/campaign mission in Wesnoth too. Should be relatively easy to test.
vasya
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by vasya »

UPD: nope, I can't trigger the bug while advancing/transitioning between campaigns. Must be something else. If you'll notice how it happens, do tell @mkey. Otherwise we'll just wait until it gets triggered again and maybe the pattern will become apparent.
mkey

Post by mkey »

It's the XP Bank addon that is conflicting.

I have confirmed same issue with same set of addons in another campaign. The second multiplication occurs immediately when the character levels up.
Then I confirmed the issue with only XP Bank and Less Random. That was really quick with 100xp starting bonus.
Then I confirmed that the same addon combination without XP Bank works as expected, it only applies the multiplier once.
vasya
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by vasya »

@mkey, strange, I cannot reproduce this. Here's what I'm doing:

Starting a local game
Selecting the map 2p - Den of Onis
Enable XP Bank Mod, Less Random, disable everything else
Select the enemy to be a computer
Start the game
Recruit a unit
Type ":debug" to enable debug mode
Select a unit and type ":unit advances=1"

At this stage, I see how the unit levels, but their health remains appropriate (x3). Do you do any of the steps differently?
vasya
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by vasya »

I've also pushed a new version (of the Less Random add-on) now. Maybe it'll solve the issue!
mkey

Post by mkey »

I was leveling up via XP granted by XP Bank. See screenshots, should be crystal clear. Right click the unit, choose XP Bank in the menu, and "withdraw" 33 XP. But now it seems to not be reproducible any more. I installed 0.6.2. the other day.

https://imgur.com/a/Jf5EMve