The Deceiver's Gambit - New Mainline Candidate!

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jamberine

Re: The Deceiver's Gambit - New Mainline Candidate!

Post by jamberine »

I enjoyed the campaign, the spellcasting was fun.

Bug report:
Spoiler:
Dalas120
Developer

Post by Dalas120 »

Uh oh, will fix that bug, thanks for reporting
holypaladin

Post by holypaladin »

I've played whole campaining and got a bit confused to see Deoran there (as great-grandson of Haldiel he didn't even born this time, much less being ambassodor of elves) and some contradictions to Delfador Memoiris and Heir to the Throne.
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"
holypaladin

Post by holypaladin »

On the other hand since some time I thought it would be good to give changes to Delfador Memoiris but I rather thought about changes then making new campaing. My proposition is to expand heroes from Delfador Memoiris i Heir to the Throne (Sir Kalyan, Lionel, Delfador, Parandra, Chantal, Kalenz, Sagus, Asheviere, Arand, Garard, Elred, Relgorn). Got few ideas for this, for example Sagus was jelaous advisor and sent assasins on Leollyn, then tried the same with Delfador but he survived. Lionel would be best friend of Sir Kalyan, when he get lost Sir Kalyan is sure Asheviere may had something to do with this and support Delfador's disobedience, he would be also one of not many who survived battle with Elred's armies and adopted Haldiel as his son. Have also few other ideas but not sure if someone would take interest on this. As for Deceiver's Gambit I got sad to see Garard II as villain (and partly Delfador as well) but I apperiance expanding Arand's character, I saw him as suspicious towards Asheviere and it's proven in campaining.
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"
holypaladin

Post by holypaladin »

SexyPringles wrote: April 1st, 2024, 7:00 pm Gameplay wise very good campaign and rework compared to the Delfador's Memoirs. I can actually use magic this time :lol: .

Plot was mostly good in my opinion but there were few things here and there that didn't sit right with me.
Spoiler:
Deleting Land of Death is a good change (giving too much mess to campaining and whole mainline plot), deleting Staff of An-Urukhar as well (why so powerful mage as Delfador would can be as strong as normal great mage with artefact?). I apperiance deleting four oracles as well. Expanding Methor's role is what I searched for (but maybe not like this), Garard indeed should be portayed better, rather like victim of his wife than tyrant and drunkard.
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"
holypaladin

Post by holypaladin »

I was also suprised about last scenario where Delfador fight with Elred, oryginal story wasn't showing Elred as someone using magical powers, just skilled warrior. And would prefer to remain like this....
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"
Gweddeoran

Post by Gweddeoran »

This is definitely an interesting campaign, and a 13-scenario length makes each scenario more meaningful. Here is my feedback based on my playthrough on the hardest difficulty up till Scenario 6.
Spoiler:
Dalas120
Developer

Post by Dalas120 »

Hey, thanks for the feedback! I'm glad you're so far liking it overall.
Spoiler:
Dalas120
Developer

Post by Dalas120 »

New patch! Total current patch notes:

----v1.0.6:
Assorted bugfixes:
S01: fixed an issue where fleeing goblins could be blocked
S06: fixed some confusing dialogue that happens if the player kills the saurian leaders quickly
S13: fixed an issue where the final boss could be blocked, breaking the fight

----v1.0.5:
Difficulty tweaks: Easy/Normal now have more enemies, but also more starting gold.
S10x: Garard's dialogue is less drunken.
Assorted bugfixes. Most notably:
- fixed S09 fog vanishing after recalling a unit
- fixed S09 mini-adventure not adjusting properly on lower difficulties

----v1.0.4:
Added a new mini-adventure leading up to Scenario 9! Also includes a number of bugfixes.

----v1.0.0:
released the campaign!
egallager

Post by egallager »

Haven't tried it yet, but my initial reaction is just that I don't really like the new name of "The Deceiver's Gambit" as much... "Delfador's Memoirs" had a clear hook: if you'd played HttT previously (which would make sense, as it was the first campaign), then you might be thinking to yourself, "Hm, I liked that Delfador guy, I wonder what his backstory was," in which case the title "Delfador's Memoirs" makes it clear that it's the obvious follow-up, but the title "The Deceiver's Gambit" doesn't appear to have any obvious connections to any other existing mainline content. I don't think the moniker "The Deceiver" is used anywhere else in mainline, leading me to fall back to existing literature/mythology/religion, which has me thinking, "OK, so Satan shows up in this? That's weird," which I guess kinda works as its own sort of hook to draw me in, but I feel like it's not actually intended to be interpreted that way, though... I guess this is something the description could address...
Gweddeoran

Post by Gweddeoran »

I actually don't have a replay with the bug in 'Sylvan Seer', since every time I noticed the bug, I reloaded my turn to prevent the loss of XP :( .
For the enemy leaders, I actually save-reloaded a bit to get them both dead, I've attached the replay.
Spoiler:
Attachments
TDG-Ring of Swords replay 20240406-175750.gz
(61.69 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Gweddeoran

Post by Gweddeoran »

Just finished the campaign. I think it was quite good, although as someone mentioned earlier, the role of the elves was quite diminished owing to the shorter length. I'm curious to see if the TSG remake/rewrite will remedy this, although I guess it is also fine as is. I do feel like some of the dialogue was a bit too informal, especially from Eldred, especially compared to what we normally expect from games with a medieval theme. Perhaps it is possible to maintain his personality but with a more subdued/formal tone.
Spoiler: