Waves of Distant Shore - Campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

GreenScarab

Waves of Distant Shore - Campaign

Post by GreenScarab »

wods-preview.png
___

STORY

The boundless ocean... dead silence.

A young mermaid is summoned by a forgotten being. Receiving a task wrapped in the thick darkness of mystery, she swims away, floating on endless ocean waves, to fulfill the forbidden will.

___

WHAT IS IN THIS BAG?

- 3 BATTLE scenarios and 1 STORY only

- HARD DIFFICULTY level

- DIFFERENT objectives

- 6 ACHIEVEMENTS

- HOLY BROTHERS!!!

- ...and etc

___

CAMPAIGN WAS FULLY TESTED
___

Lastly, if you liked it and want to encourage me to continue doing my best or if you found a nasty or little bug, please write here.
AUTHOR OF:
DREAM IN THE SAND | BORN TO LIVE | HORN OF FAITH | RUSTLING IN THE WIND | WAVES OF DISTANT SHORE

The campaigns are available for download on the 1.18 Wesnoth add-ons server.
Roge_Tebnelok
Location: Янтарный Берег (Amber Coast/Bernsteinen Seeufer/Ravgul Strand-kant/Meripihka Rannan)/Elensefar

Re: Waves of Distant Shore - Campaign

Post by Roge_Tebnelok »

Hardest campaign I ever played. It can be beaten [section]without Holy Brothers [/section]though, but you will [section]still [/section]have to pray to Random Number God, even with Predictable setting. The story is decent, just too short. There is a few bugs, the first which prevents unit from gaining experience by killing enemies if their death triggers a movement right after the last breath, the second:
Spoiler:
Changes for TYPOs are highlighted like this:
Spoiler:
My suggestions: make more difficulty levels, final breath before death animation,
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I didn't aim for achievements, so there are holes where bugs can wait :D .
Omniscience and omnipotence are one and the same. This power can be used to solve humanity's problems, build a prosperous society, change the world for the better... or to destroy everything. So gather knowledge, but be careful: with great power comes great responsibility.
GreenScarab

Post by GreenScarab »

Wow, that's some quick feedback!

First of all, thanks for the bug report, proofreading and replays, very helpful. :D

The campaign can be very challenging at times. It was supposed to be. The campaign is quite short, but that is why it has to be intense and emotional in terms of story and gameplay. Anyway, I think that creating two new, easier difficulty levels is a good idea, and I will definitely think about it if I have more time to spare.

Holy Brothers were intended to be a great help to the player and a generous reward for exploration, as well as for those who could have problems finishing the campaign. They are Holy Brothers after all! ;)

Also, I like the idea of plot-extending scenarios, but I would need to take my time to see what ideas I could come up with.
Spoiler:

I just released a new version 1.0.4 with the proofreading you made. I am not a native speaker and I really appreciate when someone helps me with this. I have included you in the end credits under Label - Text Proofreading, of course if you don't mind.
AUTHOR OF:
DREAM IN THE SAND | BORN TO LIVE | HORN OF FAITH | RUSTLING IN THE WIND | WAVES OF DISTANT SHORE

Roge_Tebnelok
Location: Янтарный Берег (Amber Coast/Bernsteinen Seeufer/Ravgul Strand-kant/Meripihka Rannan)/Elensefar

Post by Roge_Tebnelok »

GreenScarab wrote: April 5th, 2024, 7:49 pmFirst of all, thanks for the bug report, proofreading and replays, very helpful. :D
You are welcome! :D
GreenScarab wrote: April 5th, 2024, 7:49 pmI just released a new version 1.0.4 with the proofreading you made. I am not a native speaker and I really appreciate when someone helps me with this. I have included you in the end credits under Label - Text Proofreading, of course if you don't mind.
Thank you, I really appreciate it. I'll be happy to help in the future. ;)
Omniscience and omnipotence are one and the same. This power can be used to solve humanity's problems, build a prosperous society, change the world for the better... or to destroy everything. So gather knowledge, but be careful: with great power comes great responsibility.
DuncanDill

Post by DuncanDill »

Recenty played this and it was really fun! The story was good, even though their were a few errors in the text. Here are my changes, which you are free to use or drop! All I did was change the prose, and add a bit of my own twist to the story. I also added difficulties! If you want to view my changes please go to https://github.com/DuncanusDillius/Wave ... ant-Shore
All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players. They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts - William Shakespeare
GreenScarab

Post by GreenScarab »

Hi, DuncanDill

It's nice that you enjoyed the campaign.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not going to change the text and dialogues. I only want to improve the grammar and typos in them. Above all, I want them to be in my literary style.

The same goes for gameplay and new difficulty levels. For example, I'm not going to add Mermaid Initiates to Nodirtos recruitment list for lore and gameplay reasons. As for new difficulty levels, I will also take care of that myself to do it to the best of my skills.
Last edited by GreenScarab on April 9th, 2024, 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AUTHOR OF:

DuncanDill

Post by DuncanDill »

Yup! That's fine, as I said this is just how I would do it. Just to say, I did fix a few of the grammar problems with tense and plural
All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players. They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts - William Shakespeare
GreenScarab

Post by GreenScarab »

The update V1.0.5!!!

The update has been based on the Konrad2 feedback.

Spoiler:
Last edited by GreenScarab on April 11th, 2024, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AUTHOR OF:

Otdoy

Post by Otdoy »

I'm stuck on the final scenario, turn 14, the tower at 16,5 is not accessible to anyone :(

Also, what is a Holy Brother? Did I miss something on an earlier level?
Playing in 1.18.0
GreenScarab

Post by GreenScarab »

Hi, Otdoy :D

Otdoy wrote: April 9th, 2024, 11:12 pm I'm stuck on the final scenario, turn 14, the tower at 16,5 is not accessible to anyone
I guess you started the final scenario before updating the campaign to version 1.0.5? What you are talking about is a big bug that I removed yesterday in version 1.0.5. It is written in the changelog up your message.

To get rid of this bug, you need to update the campaign to the latest version and start the scenario from the very beginning.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Otdoy wrote: April 9th, 2024, 11:12 pm Also, what is a Holy Brother? Did I miss something on an earlier level?
Holy Brothers are very powerful support units that are obtainable during the Siren Chant scenario. They have their own lines of dialogue and events. They are very helpful during the game.
Spoiler:

I hope you are enjoying the campaign.
Last edited by GreenScarab on April 10th, 2024, 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AUTHOR OF:

GreenScarab

Post by GreenScarab »

Version 1.0.6!!!

Changelog:
Spoiler:
Last edited by GreenScarab on April 11th, 2024, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AUTHOR OF:

Otdoy

Post by Otdoy »

Thanks for the tips, I'll update and start over! Yes, short and fun campaign. I'm not one for heavy dialogue but I really enjoyed the poetic passages. Great work!
GreenScarab

Post by GreenScarab »

Otdoy wrote: April 10th, 2024, 7:34 pm Thanks for the tips, I'll update and start over! Yes, short and fun campaign. I'm not one for heavy dialogue but I really enjoyed the poetic passages. Great work!
Thank you for such encouraging words. That's really nice of you. I gave my best and will continue to do so! ^_^

Also, I have released a small update 1.0.7/1.0.7a

Changelog:

Spoiler:
AUTHOR OF:

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Feedback is on discord.

Replays:
Attachments
WoDS-Siren Chant replay 20240417-172101.gz
S1
(36.93 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
WoDS-Charm replay 20240417-181547.gz
S2
(36.95 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
WoDS-Nameless replay 20240417-190708.gz
S3
(32.03 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
GreenScarab

Post by GreenScarab »

Version 1.0.8!!!

Changelog:
Spoiler:

...and again, great thanks to Konrad2 for streaming Waves of Distant Shore :D
AUTHOR OF: