Dumb Newbie Questions

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

malthaussen

Dumb Newbie Questions

Post by malthaussen »

I am malthaussen, and I just downloaded v 1.18 today. I've been browsing around the various user-made content, and I already have some dumb questions.

I was reviewing the UMC campaigns, and in The Ravagers I find the exhortation "Requirements: Akladian Music Pack, Underness Music Pack"
I note that in the add-ons accessible via the game, neither of these music packs are listed, which actually should be of no consequence because neither is the campaign. Yet casual search of this forum indicates that even in 2024, people are playing it, and referencing the music packs, which are not listed in the Wiki, either (nor is the campaign, unless I missed it scrolling). There are several music packs listed in the Wiki, but no link to these from the in-game add-on process.

Obviously, I am missing something here. While it will be some time before I do a deep dive into the user-made content (as I haven't even played past the Tutorial as yet), I like to snoop around in advance so I can lay plans for the future. So the question of how content not included in the "official" add-on routine is to be found and downloaded is of some interest.

As a side note, I almost didn't download the game because it said it required Windoze 10, and I am still running 7 on my ancient laptop. Decided to try it anyway (after all, it's free, although I'll probably toss a few shekels into the pot now that I know it works), and it runs just fine.

-- Mal
"Of two choices, I always take the third."
Computer_Player
Multiplayer Moderator

Re: Dumb Newbie Questions

Post by Computer_Player »

It could be that they haven't yet been ported to 1.18. UMC have separate developers and although it might help to remind them, it also might not. Generally the more popular UMCs get ported eventually.

Wesnoth famously could run on a toaster. This is less true now than before, but yes. Perhaps the steam page can be updated with the information though.

P.S. Don't worry about asking questions. That's how we learn. By asking questions.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Computer_Player wrote: April 7th, 2024, 12:44 am It could be that they haven't yet been ported to 1.18. UMC have separate developers and although it might help to remind them, it also might not. Generally the more popular UMCs get ported eventually.
Also, version 1.18 is very new (it was just released a couple of weeks ago), and not very many add-ons have been ported to it yet. Over time, most add-on authors will probably port their add-ons to 1.18, so the number of add-ons available for 1.18 will continue to grow, although there's no guarantee that any particular add-on will be ported.
malthaussen wrote: April 7th, 2024, 12:03 am Obviously, I am missing something here. While it will be some time before I do a deep dive into the user-made content (as I haven't even played past the Tutorial as yet), I like to snoop around in advance so I can lay plans for the future. So the question of how content not included in the "official" add-on routine is to be found and downloaded is of some interest.
No add-ons are "official"; add-ons are created and maintained by individuals who are not necessarily affiliated with the Battle for Wesnoth project itself in any way. So, again, there's no guarantee any add-on will be made available for any new version of Wesnoth.
malthaussen wrote: April 7th, 2024, 12:03 am As a side note, I almost didn't download the game because it said it required Windoze 10, and I am still running 7 on my ancient laptop. Decided to try it anyway (after all, it's free, although I'll probably toss a few shekels into the pot now that I know it works), and it runs just fine.
The last version to officially support Windows 7 was 1.16. Not much has changed between 1.16 and 1.18, so 1.18 might still work, but if you run into any issues with Windows 7 you might want to try downloading version 1.16. (In addition, there are currently more add-ons available for 1.16 - you will find The Ravagers there.) You can still keep 1.18 - there should be no problems having both 1.16 and 1.18 installed at the same time.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

The minimum requirement was increased to Windows 10 because it's required for certain things to work when Wesnoth or its userdata is stored in a folder that contains non-ascii characters, and the minimum requirements field is not a good place to try to explain that difference. Aside from that though, there's no reason I'm aware of that would cause it to not work on Windows 7.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
malthaussen

Post by malthaussen »

Yeah, I was wondering if 1.16 could be downloaded still somewhere.

-- Mal
"Of two choices, I always take the third."
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

https://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth/files/ has every version released in the last 20 years.
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

Also here.

https://portableapps.com/apps/games/wesnoth_portable

And in case they will update it, you will find all the version in the repository.
Beheld the origins of BFW.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟