Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
nemaara
Developer

Call for mainline portraits and story art

Post by nemaara »

Several of our mainline campaigns are in the works for upgrades at the moment, which includes adding characters and enhancing existing scenarios. We are looking for more artwork to supplement these upgrades, including the following:

5 portraits
  • Female Captain (Mari)
  • Asheviere - 4 variations
4 story screens (for The South Guard revision) [complete]

18 animated sprites (for The South Guard revision, The Deceiver's Gambit, The Rise of Wesnoth)
  • Female Captain (Mari) - 2 sprites (L2/L3)
  • Infantry Commander - 2 sprites (L2/L3)
  • Deoran - 3 sprites (L1-L3)
  • Delfador - 4 sprites (L1-L4)
  • M'brin (L3)
  • Haldric - 3 sprites
  • Jessene - 3 sprites
These are tentative needs that will probably increase as we progress further with these enhancements. The above are needed in a shorter time frame, with my goal being 3-4 months.

I'd like to invite our UMC authors as well as anyone else interested in contributing to mainline to get in touch with me for the details of the above. Please provide examples of your prior artwork as well. Thank you! ^_^
Last edited by nemaara on April 30th, 2024, 1:28 am, edited 6 times in total.
Duke_Anax

Re: Call for mainline portraits and story art

Post by Duke_Anax »

I wasn't aware anyone was doing anything on mainline content at the moment. There is plenty of movement on the UMC side, but the mainline forums seem deserted and the wiki is even more outdated. So where and how is this coordinated?

I recently got back into Wesnoth and was thinking about doing some work on mainline campaign, specifically unifying the thre versions of Two Brothers that are floating around and making it a better first campaign for beginners as well as sprucing up the maps in HttT, they are quite plain.

I thought I'd just be doing my own thing and worry about potential intergartion, when I got something to show. But if people are already working on stuff, I don't wanna be stepping on any toes or do something that's redundant.
MathBrush

Post by MathBrush »

From an outside perspective, the mainline seems pretty active! I’ve been modding for a little over 6 years, and I’ve seen three new campaigns added to mainline, one taken out, several rewritten, a new faction added, and new art added for mainline units, with most of that happening just in the last few years.
Drake Campaign: A Fiery Birth | Knalgan Alliance Campaign: Drunkards, Dwarves, and Doubloons | Dunefolk Campaign: Asheviere's Shadow | Northeners Campaign: Goblin's Glory | Undead Campaign: Shakespeare's Ghost | Rebels Campaign: Santa Must Die
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

nemaara wrote: April 18th, 2024, 11:03 pmWe are looking for more artwork to supplement these upgrades, including the following:

4 portraits (3 are variations of a character)
4 story screens (for The South Guard revision)

These are tentative needs that will probably increase as we progress further with these enhancements. The above are needed in a shorter time frame, with my goal being 3-4 months.
Are sprites animations part of the call?

Just in case it needs saying: No AI-generated art. This continues to be an evolving situation, so if you used AI somewhere in your workflow, just be honest about it, we may still be able to work something out. But we do need to know upfront.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

doofus-01 wrote: April 21st, 2024, 1:56 am Just in case it needs saying: No AI-generated art. This continues to be an evolving situation, so if you used AI somewhere in your workflow, just be honest about it, we may still be able to work something out. But we do need to know upfront.
Absolutely, I echo the no AI-generated art for anyone interested in this. Frankensteining is okay if you have permission, but no AI.

doofus-01, I've added the sprites to the list above. Thanks for reminding me ^_^
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Duke_Anax wrote: April 19th, 2024, 9:57 pm I wasn't aware anyone was doing anything on mainline content at the moment. There is plenty of movement on the UMC side, but the mainline forums seem deserted and the wiki is even more outdated. So where and how is this coordinated?

I recently got back into Wesnoth and was thinking about doing some work on mainline campaign, specifically unifying the thre versions of Two Brothers that are floating around and making it a better first campaign for beginners as well as sprucing up the maps in HttT, they are quite plain.

I thought I'd just be doing my own thing and worry about potential intergartion, when I got something to show. But if people are already working on stuff, I don't wanna be stepping on any toes or do something that's redundant.
Generally it's just contact me about it. You can do it on discord or on the forums.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Please include Prince Haldric and Lady Jessene...
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
LegendofFlower

Post by LegendofFlower »

nemaara wrote: April 18th, 2024, 11:03 pm
  • Female Captain
Wait, Female Captain? Please, excuse my ignorance, but are you talking about the Sergeant/Lieutenant line?
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Captain could be in the style of the sergeant lieutenant line but would prefer a custom cool design.
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

There is also the possibility to recolor the armor of the image like in UtBS.
Try out the dark board theme.
Gweddeoran

Post by Gweddeoran »

nemaara wrote: April 18th, 2024, 11:03 pm 5 portraits
  • Female Captain (Mari)
I know we are cutting Minister Hylas from TSG, but wouldn't it be a better use of resources to have Minister Hylas take on the role of 'Captain Mari' rather than commission a brand new portrait and unit type when Minister Hylas already has an extremely high-quality portrait? It would also give his character more to do instead of just deleting him.
Spannerbag

Post by Spannerbag »

Gweddeoran wrote: April 29th, 2024, 3:46 pm
nemaara wrote: April 18th, 2024, 11:03 pm 5 portraits
  • Female Captain (Mari)
I know we are cutting Minister Hylas from TSG, but wouldn't it be a better use of resources to have Minister Hylas take on the role of 'Captain Mari' rather than commission a brand new portrait and unit type when Minister Hylas already has an extremely high-quality portrait? It would also give his character more to do instead of just deleting him.
Or, failing that (and with the consent of the artist) could any unused mainline images (portraits, sprites etc.) be packaged up into an artwork add-on by some kind soul to save UMC authors digging around for artwork that is free to use and of high standard?
(And before you ask, I'll do it if no-one else will but I don't know the artists and am currently working through my own pile of "to do"s...)

Cheers!
-- Spannerbag
SP Campaigns: After EI (v1.14) Leafsea Burning (v1.17, v1.16)
I suspect the universe is simpler than we think and stranger than we can know.
Also, I fear that beyond a certain point more intelligence does not necessarily benefit a species...
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Gweddeoran wrote: April 29th, 2024, 3:46 pm I know we are cutting Minister Hylas from TSG, but wouldn't it be a better use of resources to have Minister Hylas take on the role of 'Captain Mari' rather than commission a brand new portrait and unit type when Minister Hylas already has an extremely high-quality portrait? It would also give his character more to do instead of just deleting him.
I was talking about this with some of the other rework team and Hylas is someone who could reappear in HttT, so we would not be wasting his portrait.