[Historical] Son of the Black Eye Updated!

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

RedLTeut

Post by RedLTeut »

PiX wrote:Is the "save Inarix" mission possible ? The saurians can't walk througth deep water, so they must take the bridge... in 16 turns, I can't imagine how to do this, ennemies surrounding and blocking the bridge...
I did save Inarix on medium. It was somewhat close, but not in turns.

Don't expect to be able to just sit in the castle on the other side and don't expect to save money by not buying all strong units you can. I spent more than 300 gold. It is also pointless to go after the enemy economy
The Green Tooth

Post by The Green Tooth »

Troll + Assassin (and upgrades) combo worked very well for me on that one. The starting slayer was fast enough & managed to live just long enough for the big trolls to establish a foothold on the southern riverbank in the village closest to the bridge. Trolls are too slow to get to the bottom of the bridge before scouts block their path, the slayer just manages (skirmish).

Then establish a line and poison everything that walks, crawles or flies :mrgreen: By the time Inarix comes their frontline will be disintegrating with very weak poisoned units & saurians can hope to get through.
RedLTeut

Post by RedLTeut »

I'm in the process of finishing "Clash of armies". This scenario doesn't work well.

The elves mostly just get in the way of their allies, the green griffons and yellow duellants are the only units that really annoy me, and if the tritons had not run away, their force would have been too big for me to defend against, as there is not enough income for me to have any other decent tactical options but to defend the bridge. I also keep noticing that I get no loyal units, not even Grüü.
PiX

Post by PiX »

RedLTeut wrote:I'm in the process of finishing "Clash of armies". This scenario doesn't work well.

The elves mostly just get in the way of their allies, the green griffons and yellow duellants are the only units that really annoy me, and if the tritons had not run away, their force would have been too big for me to defend against, as there is not enough income for me to have any other decent tactical options but to defend the bridge. I also keep noticing that I get no loyal units, not even Grüü.
I just finished it (thx for tips for the save Inarix mission ;-) ), and i just noticed the same problems. The tritons just goes away, but otherwise they would have been too hard to beat !! Of coure, I started this mission with 100 gold because I think it's really impossible to get a lot more at the previous mission...

Anyway, nice campaign ;-) ... waiting for the sequel ;-)
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Just a note guyz, this isn't the offical version of SotBE that you get with the game. You have to download this version from the Campaign Server. And there is a sequal scenario out as a matter of fact (after Clash of Armies that is). I have just done one so far but I expet to get more out in the comming weeks. Although, now that I have had some comments on Clash of Armies and Saving Inarix, I think I my next step should be to spice them up a bit.
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
anatelos

Some Changes to Saving Inarix Scenario

Post by anatelos »

The sudden end of the scenario annoyed me right the first time I played it. All Saurians saved - and then losing four Troll Warriors in the aftermath on the South Bank.

I made some changes in the scenario config to give the rear guard a chance to retreat, too.

And now Prestim is an Orcish Town-On-The-Hill, too.

I appreciate your comments.

anatelos
Attachments
saving-inarix.tar.gz
(4.57 KiB) Downloaded 459 times
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Re: Some Changes to Saving Inarix Scenario

Post by Taurus »

anatelos wrote:The sudden end of the scenario annoyed me right the first time I played it. All Saurians saved - and then losing four Troll Warriors in the aftermath on the South Bank.

I made some changes in the scenario config to give the rear guard a chance to retreat, too.

And now Prestim is an Orcish Town-On-The-Hill, too.

I appreciate your comments.

anatelos
Hi anatelos. Thanks again for the help. I would say it is looking better - although I haven't had a chance to extensivly test it yet. But I was thinking, if Pristim is a city, shouldn't it have a few more villages in it? And I was thinking that maby the bridge should be a bit bigger as well. If Pristim was a major orcish city the access bridge should have been consiterably large to accomidate all the people going accross. I think having the higher income - and a bigger bridge would make this scenario a bit more interesting.

And one other thing, what is with the "Saving_Inarix.cfg.diff" file? What is it supposed to be used for?

anatelos

saving-inarix changes

Post by anatelos »

I tried to avoid any changes of the map that would have affected the scenario settings. So the small bridge still remains the only way to cross the river. And the number of villages is still the same, though some slightly moved, to avoid changes in the economic settings of the scenario.

Maybe in Clash of Armies more villages make sense. Not only the number of dwellers increased - but also lots of fugitives....

The diff file includes the differences between the old and the new Saving_Inarix.cfg file. If someone is interested to incorporate my changes into the main wesnoth campaign, he has only to patch the Inarix config file in the wesnoth subversion repository ( patch = apply the diff file - no search, cut & paste needed ).

anatelos
anatelos

Re: saving-inarix changes

Post by anatelos »

anatelos wrote: Maybe in Clash of Armies more villages make sense. Not only the number of dwellers increased - but also lots of fugitives....
Such as Inarix and his Saurians....
The void of man that gives the chance to rethink...
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Version 0.9 is on the sever. Lots of new stuff in this one, a new map for Saving Inarix and Clash of Armies, a few new features for Saving Inarix (thanks to anatelos), a new sceanrio "The Dwarvish Stand" and the usual tune ups and bug fixes. As always, comments, criticicizms, contributions and the like are most welcome.

Rothrorn

Post by Rothrorn »

I'm having trouble saving Inarix - I manage to get him and his mates across the bridge, bu then nothing happens until the duke arrives at turn 16 and I lose the game. I've played this scenario before in the original campaign so I know what should happen. Have the objectives changed?
Rothrorn the Wise
anatelos

Post by anatelos »

Rothrorn wrote:I'm having trouble saving Inarix - I manage to get him and his mates across the bridge, bu then nothing happens until the duke arrives at turn 16 and I lose the game. I've played this scenario before in the original campaign so I know what should happen. Have the objectives changed?
Oh - looks like a bug. Please post a replay.
anatelos
anatelos

Post by anatelos »

But for 0.9 Taurus is to blame.
The void of man that gives the chance to rethink...
l'ultimo cruco

Post by l'ultimo cruco »

Taurus wrote:Version 0.9 is on the sever. Lots of new stuff in this one, a new map for Saving Inarix and Clash of Armies, a few new features for Saving Inarix (thanks to anatelos), a new sceanrio "The Dwarvish Stand" and the usual tune ups and bug fixes. As always, comments, criticicizms, contributions and the like are most welcome.
Hi there. Feedback:
playing on medium

General: I like the modifications, and especially anatelos city maps. In Black flag there does not seem to be much of a city; maybe some rubble to show the destroyed houses would add to the atmosphere without needing any rebalancing for map changes; Desert of Death is a much nicer map than before but it is still walk through scenario - a couple of events could beef up gameplay IMHO. Silent Forest is nice nad fairly well balanced as for sure you'll get there with no extra money.

Scenarios
Saing Inarix still has something which does not work in my opinion. To have a chance to get 5+ saurians through you need at least 250-300 gold, otherwise you'll not be able to break through the first waves of elves and dwarves and allies in time. How the hack you get that amount of money after "Shaun Taum..."? I managed to beat him and his never ending gold stream at turn 18 of 20 arriving with about 150 gold in SI to see my allies slaughtered :(
Or you change the minimum amount of gold (you arrive in a big city, they'll have some money), or saving Inarix is not mandatory anymore: if you manage to save him you'll get a bonus (Inarix as an ally with a separeted income in "clash of armies") otherwise you just have to hold the bridge until turn 16 and than it blows up. I mean the saurians aren't that big help after all, nor before nor after...

Clash of Armies is ok, even if hard: I mean you manage to hold the bridge because the elves block access for their allies. I think if you would invert the movement order (humans - dwarfs - elves) it would be a very different scenario...

Giving something back does not function. Nor from a gameplay point of view nor story wise:
story - the humans got a harsh defeat, are demoralised and in retreat. You gathered the great horde and strike back coming from a important victory. But you arrive with 100 gold (how to get more out of CoA?) marching on the enemy with 8 units, including the 3 leaders, and come along with a couple of whimpy allies who rise a dozen of lvl 1 units without assasins to face a never ending stream of hardasses, which come at you in kamikaze style as their seems to be no end to their resources. Is this meant to be a trap?
gameplay - most of the figthing takes place on grassland where the dragoons going to make Schaschlik out of you and a bit around the first keep of the Lieutant Hank. You never make it even under the walls, while the enemys gets never ending reinforments with a couple of lvl2 units per turn... this is not giving something back, this is an orcish Wounded Knee...

Beside that I like playing the orcs and I hope you have time to get a bit into balancing soon, otherwise I'll have to hack into the savefile to give me some 500 gold and get some satisfaction :P
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Hello, sorry about the late reply Rothrorn. I was just in hawaii for the past week or so :-) Anyhow, I am back on the job now. I'll check it out and get it fixed. Thanks for pointing that out.
l'ultimo cruco wrote:
Hi there. Feedback:
playing on medium

General: I like the modifications, and especially anatelos city maps. In Black flag there does not seem to be much of a city; maybe some rubble to show the destroyed houses would add to the atmosphere without needing any rebalancing for map changes; Desert of Death is a much nicer map than before but it is still walk through scenario - a couple of events could beef up gameplay IMHO. Silent Forest is nice nad fairly well balanced as for sure you'll get there with no extra money.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll definatley take into consiteration your suggestions about Black flag and Desert of Death. Most likely i'll act on them too.
Scenarios
Saing Inarix still has something which does not work in my opinion. To have a chance to get 5+ saurians through you need at least 250-300 gold, otherwise you'll not be able to break through the first waves of elves and dwarves and allies in time. How the hack you get that amount of money after "Shaun Taum..."? I managed to beat him and his never ending gold stream at turn 18 of 20 arriving with about 150 gold in SI to see my allies slaughtered :(
Or you change the minimum amount of gold (you arrive in a big city, they'll have some money), or saving Inarix is not mandatory anymore: if you manage to save him you'll get a bonus (Inarix as an ally with a separeted income in "clash of armies") otherwise you just have to hold the bridge until turn 16 and than it blows up. I mean the saurians aren't that big help after all, nor before nor after...
That is actually a very good idea. I like that. I think I just might make it that if Inarix dies you won't be able to recruit saurians.
Clash of Armies is ok, even if hard: I mean you manage to hold the bridge because the elves block access for their allies. I think if you would invert the movement order (humans - dwarfs - elves) it would be a very different scenario...
Hmmm yeah, it would be. However, I am rather happy the way it is so I think i'll leave it as it is.
Giving something back does not function. Nor from a gameplay point of view nor story wise:
story - the humans got a harsh defeat, are demoralised and in retreat. You gathered the great horde and strike back coming from a important victory. But you arrive with 100 gold (how to get more out of CoA?) marching on the enemy with 8 units, including the 3 leaders, and come along with a couple of whimpy allies who rise a dozen of lvl 1 units without assasins to face a never ending stream of hardasses, which come at you in kamikaze style as their seems to be no end to their resources. Is this meant to be a trap?
gameplay - most of the figthing takes place on grassland where the dragoons going to make Schaschlik out of you and a bit around the first keep of the Lieutant Hank. You never make it even under the walls, while the enemys gets never ending reinforments with a couple of lvl2 units per turn... this is not giving something back, this is an orcish Wounded Knee...
Very good points, all of them. Ok, I think this scenario is up for an overhaul pretty quick here. Look out for version 0.10
Beside that I like playing the orcs and I hope you have time to get a bit into balancing soon, otherwise I'll have to hack into the savefile to give me some 500 gold and get some satisfaction :P
LOL, ok, I'll see what I can do. Thanks for playing this campaign and thank you further for taking the time to post feedback.