[Complete] The First Wesnoth PBEM Tournament

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dave
Founding Developer

[Complete] The First Wesnoth PBEM Tournament

Post by Dave »

Okay, let's do some testing of multiplayer (and have some fun!) by having a multiplayer play-by-email tournament.

Anyone who is interested, please let me know in this thread, and include your email address and the race you would prefer to be, humans, elves, or orcs. Players who are interested will be paired up with opponents who will play each other. Winners will proceed to the next round where they will play against other players who won their initial matches, this will continue until we have a champion.

All games will take place using version 0.4.3. Make sure you have this version on your machine working properly before you sign up to play. Yes miyo did find a bug in this version which could cause saves to be corrupted, but this bug will not affect a two-player game. You can continue to get new versions of Wesnoth while the game goes on, of course, just as long as you keep a copy of wesnoth-0.4.3 and remember to play with that version.

How to play:

I will generate starting save files and send them to the players. Each player saves the save file to their .wesnoth/saves directory, runs version 0.4.3, and loads the save. They play their turn, end the turn, save, and then email it to their opponent, and cc it to me.

I don't think we'll restrict players looking at the other player's income, total gold amount, etc, since the game currently doesn't restrict this knowledge well enough.

If you want to sign up, please be confident that you can play at least one turn every 24 hours. If you're going away for a weekend and can let your opponent know in advance, that's fine. But if it's going to take 3 days for you to complete each and every turn, well, a PBEM probably isn't going to be feasible, and you'd be better waiting for the networked version of the game.

David
Shroud

Post by Shroud »

I'll give it a go!!!

jdeb@optushome.com.au
Jaramir

Re: The First Wesnoth PBEM Tournament

Post by Jaramir »

here i'm wating for an enemy to defeat :D

mail: jaramir (at) libero (dot) it

race of choice: elves
Halfling Power!!
miyo

Post by miyo »

Sure I would like to play, but...

One turn per 24 hours - e.g. if we have four players that would give 8 hours per player and we have to consider timezone factor. I could play at morning and/or evening... but can't play daytime (working) and preferably I rest over night (though that has not been very succesfull lately because of duties at work and Wesnoth *grin*).

Sure I could play one turn per 24 hours... but how much time would be left to others?

- Miyo
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

No, the games will be one-vs-one at this stage. We might try a game with 4 players in it some other time :-)

(Like after network play is available, since a 4-player game is really going to take a long time in a PBEM)

It's 24 hours from when you get the email to when you send it back. Preferably shorter though.

David
miyo

Post by miyo »

Dave wrote: No, the games will be one-vs-one at this stage.
Oh, in that case... who dares to rise arms against me? *grin*

- Miyo
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Actually, thinking about this....I am soon to release version 0.4.4, which will have several improvements.

Then I will probably make version 0.4.5 a stable version which has a Windows binary. I am hoping to have this done by the end of the weekend. How about we start the tournament once 0.4.5 is out, so Windows people can play too, and so that we have all the latest features?

I'm still deciding if I'm going to play or just watch. It'd be kinda embarassing if I got beaten wouldn't it? :-)

David
Jaramir

Post by Jaramir »

Dave wrote:How about we start the tournament once 0.4.5 is out, so Windows people can play too, and so that we have all the latest features?
uh.. since now we are in 4 persons.. not a big tournament, maybe at 0.4.5 (linux & win) we can start another with more people involved..
and..
maybe the pbem experiece will modify the future development?
Halfling Power!!
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Jaramir wrote: uh.. since now we are in 4 persons.. not a big tournament, maybe at 0.4.5 (linux & win) we can start another with more people involved..
I doubt we'll get that many more people involved at this stage. It's still very much 'in development' :-) There's only around 20 people registered on the forum altogether!

Jaramir wrote: maybe the pbem experiece will modify the future development?
Yes, absolutely. If it turns out to be lots of fun, it'll up the priority of network play. We may also highlight game balance issues and get some ideas for new rules.

David
fnord

Up network play priority anyway :]

Post by fnord »

I have a bunch of friends who were Master of Monsters fans, and it'd be a lot easier to entice them into the game if we could play over the net, since we're located all over the state....
miyo

Re: Up network play priority anyway :]

Post by miyo »

fnord wrote: it'd be a lot easier to entice them into the game if we could play over the net, since we're located all over the state....
Networking support for Wesnoth is in the tasklist but it might take some time before we get there. At the moment we are focusing our efforts on other aspects of the game.

- Miyo