Member clearing

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dark Helmet

Member clearing

Post by Dark Helmet »

If you look through the memberlist section, you'll see that there are about 80something pages of people. At first, this seems a good thing, but then when you look closer you see a lot of zeros in the #of posts line. This isn't so bad either, apperantly there are a lot of new joiners. but then you look and see that a there a lot of ones that joined before 2004. Perhaps there could be a kind of clearing out of members, anyone joining before Aipril 2005, would just be deleted. You could probably send an email to those who have joined from Jan to Aip 2005 to see if they really don't care. I'm not sure what this would help overall, but it does seem like it would make things neeter. It also might take a lot of work, so we'll see.
Freedom is the ability to say one plus one equals two. When that occurs, all else follows.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

:shock: Clear out all accounts that were registered before April 2005?

It seems obvious that what you meant was all unused accounts. But, you should try to be more clear when you post stuff like that.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dark Helmet

Post by Dark Helmet »

Yeah, glad that was caught, certainly wasn't what I meant. :oops:
Freedom is the ability to say one plus one equals two. When that occurs, all else follows.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Send a mail first to this people... Anyway, I don't understand the point of it.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Since you can sort by descending total posts and you have to get out to page 52 before you hit a 0 post individual, I see no need for this. If people want to register a name and not post but just watch, that is fine.
pjr

Post by pjr »

Forum membership has advantages other than the ability to post. For instance, a lurker can easily see which forums and topics have new posts, and be notified of new posts in interesting threads.
mig

Post by mig »

As an active forum lurker, I second the last two posts.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

maybe delete the ones that have 0 posts...
Great Mage Nicolas
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

No. Only delete the .ru advertising members!!! They make me become mad.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Tux2B wrote:No. Only delete the .ru advertising members!!! They make me become mad.
Don't delete them! We just ban them.
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

i was going to say something about what dark helmet said, but i was too slow at choosing where to post it :oops:

I agree they should be sent a email and if they reply they are kept

if we did clear most of them off the site would have more memory or something like that, wouldn't it?
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

[quote="The Raven"if we did clear most of them off the site would have more memory or something like that, wouldn't it?[/quote]

Not really, no. Informations about members do not take that much place.
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

when someone makes one post when they join you know they are committed for a while to posting on the site,

For example, i posted 34 when i first joined, but someone who doesn't just does it for fun or something
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
toms

Post by toms »

Is it possible to delete the own account?
Reason: Maybe a user doesn´t like BfW any more (there are such
people :P) and doesn´t care about the forum any more.
Last edited by toms on December 27th, 2005, 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

1. is impossible (joke)
2. well, it doesn't mean he'll never come back, or that he wants his account to be deleted.