Wish List

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Woodwizzle wrote: 3. The new bilenear zooming is nice, but I'd still prefer something designed with pixel art in mind such as 2xsai or super eagle scaling.
Wesnoth is not a nintendo game, and those scaling methods only work on graphics with extremely truncated color sets. So much so, that even Neoriceisgood's graphics could not take advantage of them.

What we would need would be an advanced fractal scaler not unlike what is sometimes sold for photoshop. I really wish someone would make an open-source project to make one of those - right now the only folks that make them are companies that foolishly try to sell them. And it's not like there's a market for that - people deem it as an unnecessary luxury.

As a step up from what we have, we could use a bicubic, rather than billinear filter.

Edit: Here's an example: http://www.metinseven.com/review_photozoom_pro.htm
http://www.designer-info.com/Writing/image_resample.htm

Someone _please_ make this stuff available to the people, already. This should be open-source.
Last edited by Jetrel on January 7th, 2006, 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

We actually need zooming at all?
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Zhukov wrote:We actually need zooming at all?
Not for our map, so much, but we could really use it for story pictures, and thus it's quite nice that we had our bilinear filter included.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

my wish list.

have the arendians finished and added (help with animation apprechiated, but not expected)
have more eras added to the mainline
tournaments in mp
have the L3 outlaws included in an era

ps there is an outlaw pack that could constituate a faction

pps and yes I do realise that the first one is my responsibility.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Well, zooming is actually needed for the map, too, since hotkeys "z", "x" and "c" are used for zooming (in, out, and default respectively).

We do have a rather long WML tutorial already (although it probably doesn't do a great job of teaching.)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Oh, and another thing, the who is online page should say where people are posting a message. that way I know if there is any point in waiting beside the computer (cos it's one if my threads) or weather I should just go and do what I feel like doing, and come back later
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

You can set it so that the forum sends you an email whenever a reply is posted in a thread you have 'tagged.'
I tag any thread I am interested in then set my e-mail program to play a chime whenever new mail arrives. That way I can usually answer within a few minutes.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

I used to do the same, but I never check my e-mail cause it had to be my school one, as my own doesn't work at school (firewall, or something), and the school one needs a password so I cannot make it chime.
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Added to the wish list:
-A smaller download
scott

Post by scott »

Casual User wrote:Added to the wish list:
-A smaller download
- broadband for everybody
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
unsung

Post by unsung »

scott wrote:
- broadband for everybody
Yeah! That way people can spam and come up with bad ideas even faster! :roll:
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

Woodwizzle wrote:1. Make Wesnoth fully relocatable so that it can be distibuted as an autopackage
God No! Autopackage is nice in theory, but the implementation is ghastly, insecure, and broken-by-design. To quote Debian package master Joey Hess, "Yuck. Didn't we learn anything from shar files?" (If you don't understand this comment, you're probably not qualified to join the debate.) Joey's article is entitled "autopackage: designed by monkeys?" and he makes a good, albeit biased, case. Jeff Licquia has a more open-ended discussion of the whole topic here, with interesting comments from both sides, but again, the title, "Auotpackage considered harmful,"* suggests the basic thrust of the debate.

That said, though, relocatability, in and of itself is not a bad thing, no matter how stupid or broken autopackage may be. Many other package formats can and do take advantage of relocatability. I think it would be nice to have it as an option. On the other hand, relocatability also introduces inefficiencies, and I think it would be nice to have the option to build a NON-relocatable Wesnoth as well, if that's what you want. Ideally, I think an option (or options) to the configure script would be best. Then the Gentoo-ers and other DIY fanatics could use hard-coded paths, for that extra smidgen of performance, while the Linux-for-clueless-dummies crowd could still have something that will work for them.

* Note: "X considered harmful" is sort of an inside joke among computer geeks; more at Wikipedia.
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
appleide

Post by appleide »

turin wrote: - Having the Lavinians, Kedari, Marauders, High Elves, Frost Orcs, Dardans, Aragwaithi, and maybe 1-2 other factions get fully completed art and get added to Wesnoth mainline
Frost Orcs?? Are you sure it wasn't Frost elves or something?? Or are there really frost orcs I dont know about??

My wishlist:
A guide for making Multiplayer Scenarios.. (instead of having to read 5 guides at once...)
Wesnoth multiplayer server up for at least the next 5 years...
No replays when observing as an option.
Optimise Wesnoth for bigger screens as time comes... (eg.. reposition the menu a bit.. its like tiny and way over to the right... at least on my screen...)
Option to change wesnoth wall paper without having to do it manually...
A VERY simple campaign creator... That only links all the maps together, and all their win condition is "defeat the enemy leader within 20 turns", has only one difficulty setting...
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

What annoyns me most is
- bad luck (random factor)
- levels or scenarios which are unfair due to what is available on the map (like the one where the computer has so many knights and lancers available, and my elves have not a single forest tile)
- leveling up completely heals units (i'd rather like to increase the normal healing rate than this auto heal...)

But from the above, its clearly the randomness. I'd love to see more ways to reduce the random factor.