Wish List

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Casual User

Wish List

Post by Casual User »

Good afternoon!

I was wondering, I think everyone who's ever played any game wishes to change this and that. So, I was thinking, how about if we posted our 'wish list' for Wesnoth.

These ideas are NOT proposed for addition, and this thread ISN'T for discussing them. Most of them are probably on the 'frequently proposed' list anyway...

This is only out of curiosity.

The wish list should be strictly things you think would make Wesnoth better; assume you don't care about other people's opinions and that coding the features and a decent AI for them is easy.

I'll go first,

Wish List:

-some units gain experience without fighting
-new damage types : heavy blade and missile
-hybrid terrain and damage types
-changes to the movetypes : snow functions as a hybrid (snow+grass, snow+forest or snow+hills), village and castle require 4moves
-changes to berserk : either extreme makeover or complete removal in favor of charge

That's all I can think of for now. I might post some more if I think of anything else...
Foxwolf

Post by Foxwolf »

My wishlist:

1.In the unit info panel, put advances TO information, AND advances FROM
2.Fix the campaign editor bug
3.That's it ATM :)
JW

Post by JW »

You should edit your original post to include all the enclosed ideas for easier reading later. You can also update any changes, if any, made to the game.

my wish list:

more art - for all factions, proposed and main =(
newly structured saurian faction
unholy damage type
combined terrains (as you mentioned)
corrosion damage
explosion ability
multiple specials on attacks
better AI (being worked on)
more MP special maps that include such things as special items or warps

In fact, I just got a great idea for a new MP scenario. =) I'll see what I can figure out with WML...
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

1. Make Wesnoth fully relocatable so that it can be distibuted as an autopackage
2. Play by play replays with vcr transport controls and lots of charts, graphs and pie charts a la mode.
3. The new bilenear zooming is nice, but I'd still prefer something designed with pixel art in mind such as 2xsai or super eagle scaling.
4. A wifi compatible Nintendo DS version (we're dreaming so dream big!)
5. VoIP for trash talking.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

Woodwizzle wrote:1. Make Wesnoth fully relocatable so that it can be distibuted as an autopackage
Hmm, i may be wrong but i think it already is. Everything that is needed is in the application directory, no external DLL's, no registry entries. Some paths are hardcoded but they are all relative to application root. Isn't that what you want?
This applies to Windows, though, i don't know about the other operating systems.
Woodwizzle wrote: 2. Play by play replays with vcr transport controls and lots of charts, graphs and pie charts a la mode.
Please have a look at the current replay functionality (1.1) and tell me what exactly you are missing. I can't promise anything but i will do whatever time and skill allows :wink: .
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: Wish List

Post by Dave »

Casual User wrote: -hybrid terrain and damage types
-changes to the movetypes : snow functions as a hybrid (snow+grass, snow+forest or snow+hills), village and castle require 4moves
There is already hybrid terrain in the game:

'snow hills' function as hills + snow.
'snow forest' function as forest + snow.
a bridge functions like water + grassland

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

My wishlist:

- multiplayer campaign support
- 'accounts' on the multiplayer server which remember names, stats, etc.
- availability of different, interesting AIs using Python AI interface
- completed animations for ALL units that are available with the official version of the game
- a networked multiplayer system that is designed to disallow cheating

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

- A new damage type - "shadow"
- Having the Lavinians, Kedari, Marauders, High Elves, Frost Orcs, Dardans, Aragwaithi, and maybe 1-2 other factions get fully completed art and get added to Wesnoth mainline
- More easily moddable abilities
- Have the project vow to accept no new factions unless personally approved by me :twisted: :P
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Changes I'd like to see, big question, lemme see...
  • - Actions other then fighting give XP (for example, healing or capturing/holding villages)
    - Unit trees included in the in-game help (I don't need that now, but it would really have helped when I was starting)
    - A way to get definite developer approval/rejection of ideas and proposals
    - Split the Knalgan Alliance into a dwarf faction and an outlaw faction. (would need some new units for both perhaps) I hate seeing the Knalgans recruit poachers, theives etc.
    - Slight reorganisation of forums. (split the Ideas forum into 'faction ideas,' unit ideas, art ideas etc)
    - Probably more, but if I think too long I will end up with a page-long post. :roll:
EDIT: :D turin said Frost Orcs! turin said Frost Orcs! turin said Fro...<AHEM>
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

I only agree with wish #3
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

My wishlist is short at the moment:
-Multiplayer accounts(without stats!)
-Rooms in multiplayer server
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

I thought of a couple more...
  • - A complete ban on all tiny multiplayer maps that consist of a tiny piece of dwarven castle enclosed in cavewall. :evil:

- More tutorials about WML, campaign making etc
Alks

Post by Alks »

I'll also add a list of wishes

a) more large, "epic" maps
b) some tool to editing units, that would efficiently haste editing
c) introducing "leader units" to each fraction, more distinguishable from common ones - something like giving an improved Konrad to MP as a fraction leader
d) more fractions - not as an official ones in MP, but still easily accessible
e) campaign editing power tool
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Zhukov wrote:More tutorials about WML, campaign making etc
You do not need to be a dev to write these tutorials. Everyone can write them, it is a normal wiki. So if you have a good thing to teach others about, please write it down in the wiki.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

ivanovic wrote:So if you have a good thing to teach others about, please write it down in the wiki.
Yeah, but in my case I want more tutorials, not because I want to teach others, but because I don't know anything about WML. :(
I'm going to start a seperate thread about this...