Elf Portrait art thread: Archer by Ranger M

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

I'm not sure how to make it "lively--the pose has almost no action, but thats becasue it's a lvl. 1 rather meek seeming unit...

I've fixed the nose and ears--ish
Attachments
shaman.png
shaman.png (23.76 KiB) Viewed 3466 times
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
toms

Post by toms »

Don´t be afraid of outlining the nose. :P

She´s looking so sad...Why? Because she is not centered in the portrait? :P

And the buckle looks...a bit odd.

That´s enough for the moment. :wink:
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

toms wrote:Don´t be afraid of outlining the nose. :P

She´s looking so sad...Why? Because she is not centered in the portrait? :P

And the buckle looks...a bit odd.

That´s enough for the moment. :wink:
1. OUtlining the nose makes it look worse...

2. Symetry is for heathens...

3. The buckle is a clasp, and its hemispherical, which is why it goes out some, which is why it has the circle of shine, deep shadow...

I've fixed point two, and added some more shadow to nose, more defined

mre critique is fine, I thrive on it
Attachments
shaman.png
shaman.png (23.82 KiB) Viewed 3463 times
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

/me grabs Thrawn, shakes vigorously... Yells:

"You're still not antialiasing those!"

I ... really don't know how I can explain that more clearly. You *have* to do that. Let's review the checklist.

• Use the brush tool, never the pencil tool.
• Set the interpolation method in the preferences to "Cubic"
• if it ever asks for interpolation on any image operation (like scaling), set that to cubic

And as a general suggestion, draw your images at something considerably higher than the final resolution you're drawing at, and scale down a final copy when you're done.

Image I feel as though I have made myself clear on this point. Several times.

:( If you don't do this, these images will never be good enough for us to put in-game.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Jetryl wrote:/me grabs Thrawn, shakes vigorously... Yells:

"You're still not antialiasing those!"
leading to my reply of, how exactly then is it done, as I'm using the brush, going over outline, and when I shrink things I use cubic....

I ... really don't know how I can explain that more clearly. You *have* to do that. Let's review the checklist.

• Use the brush tool, never the pencil tool.
• Set the interpolation method in the preferences to "Cubic"
• if it ever asks for interpolation on any image operation (like scaling), set that to cubic
I do this...
And as a general suggestion, draw your images at something considerably higher than the final resolution you're drawing at, and scale down a final copy when you're done.
for scanningthings I do this, but when I try to draw at large resolutions with GIMP itjust doen't work.
Image I feel as though I have made myself clear on this point. Several times.
If I try to do what you say, and it's wrong, maybe you are not making yourself clear...

I'm sorry if this sounds defensive, put I know what you've told me to do, and I've been tryng to do it. Instead of thinking of a different way to further tell me what to do, you repeat the sma e thing the same way (though this time oyu included a Darth Vader picture ...) and I never quite see how it's supposed to be.

TBS, I'll try once again to A-A it to your preference, whatever that is...

Zebulon
Art Developer

Post by Zebulon »

It should be antialiased like this.
Attachments
shaman_158.png
shaman_158.png (25.35 KiB) Viewed 3128 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Zebulon wrote:It should be antialiased like this.
Yes. That's correct, and any of your, or Ranger M's advice might help on this point - you might use some different words than I would.

Let's try "me saying something different". Look at the following workflow - the foot from my Konrad drawing:
Attachments
inking.png
inking.png (96.38 KiB) Viewed 3108 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Etc.

Most important in this demonstrative edit, is the reshaping of the face. The eyes were in the correct horizontal position, something you've never had trouble with and which I always have trouble with, but their vertical position and the position of several other facial features were rather off.

:( The devil is in details like these. They draw the line between beautiful and ugly; one the faces of real people, and on the faces of cartoon drawings. I've had some miserable failures, myself, don't get me wrong.
Attachments
shaman-reshaping.png
shaman-reshaping.png (39.75 KiB) Viewed 3102 times
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Thrawn, look at the lines in your origional, they look much more graney, and has a few bumps and inconsistancies, most of what has been edited has been fixing this (apart from the new areas and shading in Jetryl's edit), for a example,look at the right arm where it connects to the body, on yours there are inconsistant thinknesses and a few single pixels which detract from the image quality, but in Zebulons edit they get phased out into new, smoother lines.

don't worry about it though, It's a problem that I got when I made both of my portraits so far (I should really start another one soon, although I'll probably finish the Halstead story frame first) and just needs a small bit of editing to fix it.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

except for maybe the hand, is this A-Aed properly?
Attachments
Shaman.png
Shaman.png (35.62 KiB) Viewed 2994 times

Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

She looks a little manly with those (in the previous) beefy right arm, and (in the latest) large hands and chin. The previous pic looks great as long as you scroll up to the dark green hooded part. Overall though, I think I like the happy butterfly pic better.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

it is still a bit pixelated on the chin and her left arm, but apart from that it seems (at first glance at least, I haven't looked close up) to be much better than the other one.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Yeah... At first I thought she was male, then I saw that it was supposed to be a shaman (which are female), and I got really confused...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Ranger M wrote:it is still a bit pixelated on the chin and her left arm, but apart from that it seems (at first glance at least, I haven't looked close up) to be much better than the other one.
:D YES!!!

WE DID IT!

Ranger M's comments are correct - you've solved about 90% of the problem. Take that just a smidge further, and you'll be one huge step further towards being game-worthy.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Jetryl wrote:
Ranger M wrote:it is still a bit pixelated on the chin and her left arm, but apart from that it seems (at first glance at least, I haven't looked close up) to be much better than the other one.
:D YES!!!

WE DID IT!

Ranger M's comments are correct - you've solved about 90% of the problem. Take that just a smidge further, and you'll be one huge step further towards being game-worthy.
It seems I need to blow up my sketches and go over them... glad to know that I seem to have it now. I'll fix the chin, but help on the hand and "manliness" of the chin would be usefull... I can't seem to get them right.

EDIT: sketch for new thing, finally a working scanner, so inked from a sketch, and resized (cubic interpolation :) )
Attachments
fighter3.png
fighter3.png (10.87 KiB) Viewed 3132 times