Default L0 Era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MoonyDragon

Default L0 Era

Post by MoonyDragon »

This era features level one leaders with level zero recruits. Consists of modified Loyalist, Rebel, Knalgan and Undead factions. Not considered balanced.
teaser.png
teaser.png (14.64 KiB) Viewed 7300 times
This is the feedback and balance thread for the Default L0 Era! The title and add-on description pretty much cover everything there is to say about it... As is indicated by the statement about balance, this era is mostly for fun :D

Miscellaneous
When playing this era, I recommend to set 'Create Game' > 'Game Settings' > 'Experience Modifier' to 60%.

Enjoy!
Last edited by MoonyDragon on September 10th, 2021, 5:11 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Default L0 Era - Level 1 leaders with level 0 recruits!
The_Quixotic_King

Re: Default L0 Era

Post by The_Quixotic_King »

This era is great! i think it's really fun. But the elvish and especially Dwarvish factions feel incomplete, like they need more units, and it doesn't really help that the Knalgans only have one actual dwarvish unit.
With them i think they could use a lvl0 thunderer, perhaps a crossbowman instead?
and then what i think would be pretty neat, would be a lvl0 "Griffin Trainer" where he has a baby griffin, so it's about the same size as him, and it could fly around carrying him, it would be really goofy, this is sort of what i am imagining, just cobbled this together very quick. Using the dunefolk Falcon
test_boy.png
test_boy.png (2.34 KiB) Viewed 8273 times
I don't know if you have any intention of updating the era, but if you do, that would be my suggestion.
“Truly I was born to be an example of misfortune, and a target at which the arrows of adversary are aimed.” -Donquixote

developer of era of empires (In progress)
AOW

Post by AOW »

Soon I became addicted to it.

The default elf leader mentions that elf civilians are unwarlike pacifists. Perhaps it would be more appealing to replace citizen with a name like "Elvish Volunteer/Elvish Homekeep/Elvish Conscript"? And their weapon training are designed to balance hand brain coordination and are seen as a way to pursue perfect personality.
MoonyDragon

Post by MoonyDragon »

The_Quixotic_King wrote: August 5th, 2020, 11:53 pm This era is great! i think it's really fun. But the elvish and especially Dwarvish factions feel incomplete, like they need more units, and it doesn't really help that the Knalgans only have one actual dwarvish unit.
With them i think they could use a lvl0 thunderer, perhaps a crossbowman instead?
and then what i think would be pretty neat, would be a lvl0 "Griffin Trainer" where he has a baby griffin, so it's about the same size as him, and it could fly around carrying him, it would be really goofy, this is sort of what i am imagining, just cobbled this together very quick. Using the dunefolk Falcon

I don't know if you have any intention of updating the era, but if you do, that would be my suggestion.
Thanks for the kind words! I agree with you that both elves and dwarves are underrepresented in terms of L0 units. Still, our solutions diverge.

My basic idea was to add L0 units that fit thematically (lore / graphics) and strategically (balance / advancements) into mainline wesnoth. Strategically, I need some kind of L0 precursor for every L1 unit in mainline.
Thematically, I am restricted to a handful of good graphics, while avoiding the lore problem of a peasant levelling into everything from mage to horseman.

This L0 thunderer not only needs a set of new of graphics, but also levels into only one mainline unit. Not worth it. The exact same problem arises for the gryphon rider. Though in your defence, there is indeed a fully animated "Young Gryphon" in the "War of Legends Era" from Lord-Knightmare. It is just that the bat covers everything a "L0 Young Gryphon Rider" could possibly offer and is already in mainline. And it fits strategically :D

But apart from these badly chosen examples, you are right. The Elvish Shaman is a vital unit for the Rebels and elves in general, and yet I have nothing to show for it. The same problem is present in the dwarvish element of the Knalgan faction. Thunderers and Fighters are strategically (4mp, resistances, melee damage, portraits) close enough to make the Miner level into both, but Ulfserkers and Scouts still cry in the corner...

As is usual for Wesnoth, there is an overabundance of ideas and a shortage of artists. I already sketched two units that will solve the issue described above, but I have yet to find any good art for them...

Dwarvish Lumberjack - NO LONGER NEEDED
- 12 gold
- 16 hp
- 5 mp
- 4x3 melee-blade
- advances to Dwarvish Scout and Dwarvish Ulfserker

Elvish Healer - NO LONGER NEEDED
- 12 gold
- 16 hp
- 5 mp
- 3x1 melee (impact)
- 3x2 ranged (impact)
- heals +4
- advances to Elvish Shaman

If any artist wishes to contribute to this era, I embrace you with open arms! All this era still needs are sprites for the Dwarvish Lumberjack and Elvish Healer. Drakes, Undead and Northerners will probably never make it into this era, simply due to their lack of L0s.

The usual rules apply: If a unit doesn't have animations (I mean simple attack/defense/healing etc animations... frame-by-frame is unobtainable luxury), it doesn't exist.
Last edited by MoonyDragon on August 8th, 2020, 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MoonyDragon

Post by MoonyDragon »

AOW wrote: August 6th, 2020, 8:21 am Soon I became addicted to it.

The default elf leader mentions that elf civilians are unwarlike pacifists. Perhaps it would be more appealing to replace citizen with a name like "Elvish Volunteer/Elvish Homekeep/Elvish Conscript"? And their weapon training are designed to balance hand brain coordination and are seen as a way to pursue perfect personality.
Actually, I chose "Elvish Citizen" for precisely the reasons you described :D The original unit was called Elvish Subject or Elvish Civilian respectively, which implies a kind of feudalism or pacifism. I changed that to "Elvish Citizen" because that would imply not only certain rights (conforming to their social organisation), but also duties of citizenship, such as military training (at the very least).

But even if we disregard the above, the fact remains that I have already set the name and that changing it now will cause unnecessary uncertainty.

Still, thanks for liking it ^^
AOW

Post by AOW »

MoonyDragon wrote: August 6th, 2020, 1:57 pm Actually, I chose "Elvish Citizen" for precisely the reasons you described :D The original unit was called Elvish Subject or Elvish Civilian respectively, which implies a kind of feudalism or pacifism. I changed that to "Elvish Citizen" because that would imply not only certain rights (conforming to their social organisation), but also duties of citizenship, such as military training (at the very least).

But even if we disregard the above, the fact remains that I have already set the name and that changing it now will cause unnecessary uncertainty.

Still, thanks for liking it ^^
oh, no offense!
obviously this is your achievement. so I support your decision.

I just need one more game. ;)
MoonyDragon

Post by MoonyDragon »

AOW wrote: August 6th, 2020, 3:27 pm oh, no offense!
obviously this is your achievement. so I support your decision.

I just need one more game. ;)
No offense taken, I only meant to state my reasoning behind the choice of name ^^
On the contrary, I am happy to see people enjoy my era and give feedback!
MoonyDragon

Post by MoonyDragon »

The graphics for the new Dwarvish Woodcutter... You will never guess that its merely a recolor :D
woodcutter.gif
woodcutter.gif (6.23 KiB) Viewed 8122 times
EDIT: I now also appended an earlier, longarm version of the same unit for other umc authors. Have fun!
woodcutter-longarm.7z
(7.01 KiB) Downloaded 333 times
MoonyDragon

Post by MoonyDragon »

I've got good news! I found acceptable graphics for the Elvish Healer in Aldarisvet's "A Whim of Fate".
A quick repaint of the unit (and all animations) later... voila:
healer.png
healer.png (1.09 KiB) Viewed 8042 times
MoonyDragon

Post by MoonyDragon »

Another Edit:
I have given up on the L0 ghoul. Quality graphics are still nowhere to be found and the unique nature of the ghoul / necrophage / ghast graphics makes it impossible to frankenstein / recolor from something else. I suppose the undead faction will have to do without for the time being.

Outdated
Does anyone happen to know of sprites somewhere (era? campaign?) that can be used for the L0 Ghoul?
The state of the art so far:
soul.gif
soul.gif (1.88 KiB) Viewed 7878 times
Last edited by MoonyDragon on September 14th, 2020, 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HonzaCZ

Post by HonzaCZ »

You could use the old monkey looking ghoul, at least as a placeholder, it looks far less monstrous than the new ghouls so it could fit for a L0
MoonyDragon

Post by MoonyDragon »

HonzaCZ wrote: August 19th, 2020, 1:50 pm You could use the old monkey looking ghoul, at least as a placeholder, it looks far less monstrous than the new ghouls so it could fit for a L0
Thanks a lot for the suggestion! I took the fmunoz-made ghoul graphics from BfW 1.2 and recolored them to fit the new ghoul line. The sprites below are, as you already stated, only a placeholder. I will continue improving them until they are ready for the add-on server. Until then, my hunt for graphics continues...
cannibal.gif
cannibal.gif (1.94 KiB) Viewed 7718 times
The_Quixotic_King

Out of sheer boredom, I made this Lvl0 drake (I should have been working on other sprites but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯) It was quite fun, and I would be willing to animate and do more, if that interests you, I'd be glad to make some sprites.
Drake_Recruit.png
Drake_Recruit.png (8.19 KiB) Viewed 7555 times
“Truly I was born to be an example of misfortune, and a target at which the arrows of adversary are aimed.” -Donquixote

MoonyDragon

Post by MoonyDragon »

The_Quixotic_King wrote: September 14th, 2020, 1:17 am Out of sheer boredom, I made this Lvl0 drake (I should have been working on other sprites but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯) It was quite fun, and I would be willing to animate and do more, if that interests you, I'd be glad to make some sprites.
Thank you for your contribution! Making drake sprites is always quite a feat, and animating* (2 melee frames / 1 ranged frame / 1 defense frame / *maybe* 3 fly frames) them is even more ambitious. I want you to consider the amount of work involved, especially because you are already occupied with another project (Era of Empires). If that's okay, you have my blessing. If it turns out to be a bit too much, you can always stop, no problem for me ^^

As for the sprite itself, it is obviously a frankenstein (glider base + resized legs/wings + fighter head/shoulderpads + clasher claws), but is still unique and recognizable as a L0 unit. What I especially like is that the elements from the glider/fighter/clasher make it plausible for that unit to level into all three. Which is pretty neat :D

Below, I have sketched out the unit's potential stats and recolored the sprite a little to unify the palette and correct some minor details. I eagerly await further contributions from you!

Drake Fledgeling
- 10g
- 20hp
- 23xp
- 6mp
- 5-2 melee-blade
- 3-2 ranged-fire
-> Drake Fighter / Drake Clasher / Drake Glider

fledgeling.png
fledgeling.png (2.97 KiB) Viewed 7458 times
The_Quixotic_King

I'll gladly make more! The flying animation is probably the most daunting task, but I'll give it a shot. As for the other units in the faction, it would be

Drake Fledgling --> Drake Glider, Clasher, fighter

Drake Spark --> Drake Burner (Couldn't think of any better name)

Saurian scout --> Saurian skirmisher (He could have a sling and dagger)

Saurian Initiate --> Augur

You could make the Saurian L0 level up into either a augur or skirmisher aswell.