V1.5/1.6 - Scenario Review: LoW 17 - Breaking the Siege

Feedback for the mainline single-player campaign Legend of Wesmere.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

governor

V1.5/1.6 - Scenario Review: LoW 17 - Breaking the Siege

Post by governor »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Medium and Hard 1.5.6
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear and good to this point.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Udreadia doesn't recruit and dies in the fog. Took me a couple tries to learn how to effectively save him.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
10. I found this map much more enjoyable with Udreadia not being able to recruit. The snow makes non-flying units very cumbersome and this fun since I was able to use my sylphs and shydes to great effect.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Share vision with ally, so that you can see him die the first time and rush to save him. Keep it so that he can't recruit.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Yeah, Udreadia dies since he has no recruits.
taemyr

Re: Scenario Review: LoW 17 - Breaking the Siege

Post by taemyr »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Medium, 1.5.8
4, Not so much hard as frustrating.
Clear.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear.
Slogging trough the snow, sadly I had no great force of sylph's to call on.
3, urg slow.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Fast forward by at least 5 turns: Move the camp further in, and recall a force of dwarves into the mountain. Shift orcs forward to compensate.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No
taemyr

Post by taemyr »

Hard, 1.5.8
2, This scenario gets quite easy when you use your sylphs.
Clear.
Clear.
None
Fast forward: Move the camp further in, and recall a force of dwarves into the mountain. Shift orcs forward to compensate. This will make using non-flyers a bit more attractive.
No
Bircoph

Post by Bircoph »

1.5.10+svn-r32867; hard.

5. Not so difficult with huge gold amounts from previous mission.

Clear.

Storyline is ok, maybe some more words at the beginning about desperate state of Northern Elfs.

None. But I spend a lot of gold to aid allies in time

7. Some people are complaining about slow movements. But what are you expecting from the snow? Of course movements will be slow. The same for caves indeed, but you're quite common to caves, so there are no complains, but open ground psychologically assumes fast movement. Yet again, do not forget about snow. This is harsh winter and this is realistic.

Some unpredictable event, hostage, etc.

None.
Per aspera ad astra!
axelotl

Post by axelotl »

easy 1.6; hard 1.6.2

Clear

It doesn't sound right for Uradredia to refer to his troops as "men". They are 50% female, and 100% elf.

Why am I forced to pay Olurf 3 gold per turn to trudge across the snow? If he's fighting Orcs for fun, shouldn't he be loyal?

The time limit is quite tight so I initially tried an early attack on the SW leader from the East. Someone important (Landar? Cleodil?) got chewed up by the four-legged reinforcements.

Strangely, when I camped in the forest for a while then attacked from the North, the same reinforcements just ran away.

8. Managing simultaneous attacks against the three leaders is tricky but rewarding.

Move the starting keep closer to the forest.

Doggy bites.
Don't axe a little. Axe a lottle.