Scenario Review: DiD 2 - Peaceful Valley

Feedback for the mainline campaign Descent into Darkness.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: DiD 2 - Peaceful Valley

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
200g

Re: Scenario Review: DiD 2 - Peaceful Valley

Post by 200g »

Hi,

first of all: I like the campaign, though it's getting a bit difficult later on, but what doesnt kill you makes you harder, as we say in Germany :)

(1) Normal
(2) Pretty tough compared to the first and third scenario
(3) Pretty clear
(4) It's okay, but I find the main characters will to kill everything (especially later) a bit strange.
(5) The leaders forces were difficult to defeat
(6) 5 out of 10
(7) Can't say what would make it more fun, change the objective? Once the leader is dead the scenario is won? The leader could be passive, which would make it tougher though. He came down to me pretty quick and was killed of course.
(8) Yes, I occupied too many villages without dealing with the enemy first.
(9) Can't say, didn't read the script.

Another odd thing - I don't know if it's intended, but it makes the scenario a joke once you defeated the leader: When you surround a village completely with your units and occupy it, no enemies come out. Maybe you should check if all hexes around the village are occupied and if so, put the enemies somewhere else.

Thats all,
200g
If you open your mind too much, your brain will fall out.
miekka

Post by miekka »

1. Easy
2. 5, bit harder than last one but no problems if you just stay careful
3. Crystal clear
4. The ghoul chat is nice and interesting
5. Keeping Malin's "teacher" from being killed... forgot his name :P
6. 6 :)
7. can't really say
8. dunno wml
tvik

Post by tvik »

(1) Normal. 1.4.5
(2) 4
(3) Clear enough
(4) It was nice to learn the ways of necromants. Nice to hear reasons behind it.
(5) Weak zombies, strong opponents.
(6) 10 - ZOMBIES HERE ARE HILARIOUS! It's a shame that later in the game they are almost never used. The fun of raising a zombie on a dead dog is worth any price.
(7) Ummm... more zombies ? ;]
(8) A few times heroes died. I've been exping them like crazy.
blue

Post by blue »

1. Challenging (Evoker) 1.6.4
2. 4
3. Crystal clear
4. Very nice and clear
5. None
6. 9 i like the concept
7. None
8. I reloaded once cause i didnt send any troops to the village at the upper right corner losing a few turns
DoctorJ

Post by DoctorJ »

(1) Neophyte, 1.6.4
(2) 6?
(3) clear
(4) interesting
(5) Trying to get the zombies through the woods took forever...
(6) 8
(8) I used a bat to capture villages while my zombies were slowly making their way out into the open, and at one point the bat abandoned a village to capture another. One of the goblins captured it back. Anyway, to make a long story short, even after i slaughtered all of them and captured all their villages, the victory conditions were never fulfilled. I still have the savefile if you wish to see it. I ended up starting another campaign as i saw no way past this obstacle.
(9) I know just enough to notice there was a surprise waiting for me at 4,1. It was somewhat tedious due to the slow movement of zombies through the hills, and capturing that village with a bat seemed more 'natural'.
Benefuchs

Post by Benefuchs »

(1) medium, 1.6
(2) 5
(3) Clear
(4) Well, killing goblins to command their souls seems to be a rather silly idea. do they have any?
(5) enemies coming from a village when I didn't expect them
(6) 6
(7) no idea
(8) no
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

(1) easy, medium. I've played it on several versions of wesnoth, most recently the 1.7.10 - 1.8-beta3 version.
(2) 3
(3) very clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) It took me a bit to realize there was another village up in the NE, which has nothing to draw attention to it. This was annoying, and took extra time of just looking for an unknown *something*
(6) 5
(7) either do something to make the existence of the additional village easier to intuit or remove it.
(8) No
(9) it's been a while since I looked at the WML, but it seemed pretty clear at the time.

As a note, in this scenario you gain the ability to summon bats. While the addition of most of the units are somehow included in the story this particular ability doesn't even have a comment about where it comes from... the main character is simply able to call forth non-undead to serve him suddenly. It's not a big thing, but it seems like something that the campaign and faction would be stronger for addressing directly.
nils78

Post by nils78 »

1) Neophyte (normal)/1.5.6
2) 5
3) Didn't quite pay attention, so I didn't realize I had to occupy all villages, but that wasn't such a big issue then
4) Was Ok.
5) Mainly finding the right balance of units for this map.
6) 5
7) Not quite sure.
8) In the first game I didn't quite realize that occupying villages releases goblin guards, so my bats created an unstoppable army. Apart from that, my usual problem of being more greedy than is good for me.
ManiacTehGreat

Post by ManiacTehGreat »

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
The gold bonus for controlling all villages is equal to the early finish bonus. In order to encourage time pressure, the early finish bonus should be increased. Unless this scenario is meant as an XP farm?
bilu

Post by bilu »

(1) 1.8.2 medium & hard.

(2) 3 - medium. 11 - hard.
Gave up on trying to beat this on hard. I start with about 90 gold and if I push forward def. is not good enough to withstand the goblins. If I hole up in the castle and withstand the onslaught, the remaining turns are not enough to finish the map. I tried less direct approaches like flanking with the ghouls and draken volk but still get overrun.

(3) clear.

(4) sometimes there are timing problems with the dialog like draken volk telling mel they need to explore the swamp after already getting the ghouls, or heading into the village by the swamp after being in the swamp and then saying that he didn't notice the village was by a swamp.

(5) see 2.

(6) 4.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Difficult (hard); 1.8.3; 115 starting gold

8. After a failure (and restart from turn 1), I had what seems like a fairly crushing victory, finishing on turn 9. It's strange that a reviewer above thought it was impossible on hard/1.8.2 with 90 starting gold (compared to my 115.) I don't see anything in the changelog for this scenario from 1.8.2 to 1.8.3.

Clear.

Okay.

The main challenge was learning to control mixed undead forces, coupled with learning to not use bats as they are normally used in aggressive village capturing (since goblins pop out of them in this scenario.)

9. It's insane. The enemy are wounded, poisoned, and zombified, and my forces are this mass of walking corpses of all sorts with a few other units mixed it. It's pure chaos.

Good as is.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Death of leader caused me to restart from turn 1.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Defined in the WML is a weird conversation between goblins Ed and Shaun. How does this get triggered? It didn't for me. In the dialog, Shaun uses the word "zed," which is maybe not well understood by Americans. "Z" or "zee" is how Americans write and say this letter.
Attachments
DID-Peaceful_Valley_replay.gz
(29.56 KiB) Downloaded 1484 times
Schierke

Post by Schierke »

1.8.3 Hard.

3 (probably a 5 if the enemy leader would have not gone kamikaze against my units in the first turn).

Clear enough.

Good, especially the thing about the Ghouls, but i would have liked some explanation as to way a necreomancer can command bats.

Nothing, as i said, the leader sucicided against me and he was dead by turn 3 or 4, then is just mopping up the remaining goblins.

5, i don't really like WC, not much strategy around them.

Make sure the leader doesn't charge at you at the firs turn.

Not at all.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?

N/A.
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.8.3, Hard, 106 starting gold

10 until I found the ghouls. Then probably a 4.

Clear.

Good. Though I agree with the previous comment on the bats. They don't make much sense in terms of the storyline.

Learning how to use WC and the ghouls.

7, the village mop up is just XP farming but the battle at first is good.

First time I didn't go into the swamp ("I'll get to that") and got crushed in combat. Reloaded to turn 1 and did the swamp thing first and things went much better.

Looks ok.
Attachments
DID-Peaceful_Valley_replay.gz
(17.86 KiB) Downloaded 1045 times
santosis

Post by santosis »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Challenging (medium) 1.8.5

8 - If you want to level any troops. The Goblin ZoC is huge, and they continually gang up on weak units. I managed to level one bat and one zombie.

Very fun change of pace.

Good.

Leveling units.

I finished in round 20/26, with 116 gold. I'll carry 82 gold over to the next scenario.

7 - a bit frustrating, but fun.

None.

Trying to level a bat.