Possible issue. (I thought it sucked when it happened anyway

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Toxitalk

Possible issue. (I thought it sucked when it happened anyway

Post by Toxitalk »

Thought I would start from scratch.

You know play the tutorial, then the game.

!st level, great.
Level 2 start with loads of gold.
Just as level 2 finishes I buy loads of help. (Gold = 1)
So I start level 3 with no extra gold (80% of 1 is nowt)

I think when it does the calc at the end, it should take into account your army.

Thoughts
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Whoops!

Fortunately, I don't think this is a glaring issue in a game, just a move to avoid. I doubt it's a mistake you'll be making again, eh? ;)
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

I don't think it should take the army into account... I like the juggling between keeping gold for the future or units for now :D
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Isn't that the whole point, ie. to balance between present and future recruitment?

Besides, if you were already winning, why would you keep recruiting towards the end of the scenario? There's a certain point after which units which you recruit cannot reach the enemy leader by the end of turns, anyway.

Unless you are loading up on mages/horsemen which cost more to recruit than to recall... but even so, it is not worth it because of the "inflation" in the game being 25%. The only unit which it is worth it to "pre-recruit" is the Gryphon Rider.
A witty saying proves nothing.
-Voltaire

Post by Guest »

blackjack wrote:Unless you are loading up on mages/horsemen which cost more to recruit than to recall... but even so, it is not worth it because of the "inflation" in the game being 25%.
inflation makes it more worth it to pre-recruit. (Is this what you are saying? It is hard to tell.)
blackjack wrote:The only unit which it is worth it to "pre-recruit" is the Gryphon Rider.
only if you recruit it at least 5 scenarios in advance.
cost of gryphon rider: 32
32*(80%^5)=10.49
recall cost: 20
10.49+20=30.49
which is 2 gold less than it would have costed if you did not pre-recruit
(Of course, this is more feasible than a horseman which would require at least 10 scenarios in advance and could only save you up to 3 gold...)
Pre-recruiting is a way to save money, not to make money.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Anonymous wrote:
blackjack wrote:Unless you are loading up on mages/horsemen which cost more to recruit than to recall... but even so, it is not worth it because of the "inflation" in the game being 25%.
inflation makes it more worth it to pre-recruit. (Is this what you are saying? It is hard to tell.)
blackjack wrote:The only unit which it is worth it to "pre-recruit" is the Gryphon Rider.
only if you recruit it at least 5 scenarios in advance.
cost of gryphon rider: 32
32*(80%^5)=10.49
recall cost: 20
10.49+20=30.49
which is 2 gold less than it would have costed if you did not pre-recruit
(Of course, this is more feasible than a horseman which would require at least 10 scenarios in advance and could only save you up to 3 gold...)
Pre-recruiting is a way to save money, not to make money.
Good analysis. What I meant is that for horsemen and mages, it's not really worth it to "pre-recruit". 10 scenarios in advance is pushing it - remember, the opportunity cost is that you potentially forgo recruiting a unit for the next 10 scenarios.

For Gryphon Riders, though ostensibly 5 turns is what it takes, I would argue that you save 12 gold each time you recall. So it's a savings of 12 gold each time. You just have to recall a few times for that savings to be worth it. For mages/ horsemen, it's slightly different because of the advancement, giving you an incentive to recall units who may become higher level, rather than a "pre-recruited" unit with 0 exp.

But in general, pre-recruiting is worthless, except for 2 cases:

1. Gryphon Riders, as stated above, because you can save 12 gold per time and because they have no advancement tree.

2. When you have less than 100 gold left, and you know that you will hit the minimum starting gold the next scenario. Alternatively, if you are moving from Bay of Pearls to Isle of the Damned and know that all your gold is disappearing... In those cases, it might be worthwhile to waste all your money recruiting mages/ horsemen, if only to cherry pick those with the "right" traits.

(btw, will Siege of Elensefar ever allow you to use the gold you had remaining at the end of Bay of Pearls (*0.64)+gold after IotD (*0.8)?)[/b]
A witty saying proves nothing.
-Voltaire
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

blackjack wrote: (btw, will Siege of Elensefar ever allow you to use the gold you had remaining at the end of Bay of Pearls (*0.64)+gold after IotD (*0.8)?)
It will be like that in the next version.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

I usually try not to do any recruiting/recalling after the mid-point in a scenario. This works well for both having gold for the next scenario and moving the leader forward in time for the final kill.
Integral

Re: Possible issue. (I thought it sucked when it happened an

Post by Integral »

Toxitalk wrote:Thought I would start from scratch.

You know play the tutorial, then the game.

!st level, great.
Level 2 start with loads of gold.
Just as level 2 finishes I buy loads of help. (Gold = 1)
So I start level 3 with no extra gold (80% of 1 is nowt)
Ouch. Sounds like there's a bug -- normally the game enforces a minimum amount of gold (eg, on most levels you always start with at least 100 gold).

Daniel
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Darth Fool wrote:I usually try not to do any recruiting/recalling after the mid-point in a scenario. This works well for both having gold for the next scenario and moving the leader forward in time for the final kill.
thats a good tip for beginners. it's too obvious to say it's good strategy. :)

i think that having it work how it does makes a penalty for excessive recruiting, a good thing, i think. if you got gold for the units on the field, when a unit leveled you would actually gain gold. and the system works fine how it is, no need to change it. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

turin wrote:
Darth Fool wrote:I usually try not to do any recruiting/recalling after the mid-point in a scenario. This works well for both having gold for the next scenario and moving the leader forward in time for the final kill.
thats a good tip for beginners. it's too obvious to say it's good strategy. :)
Yes, and it doesn't univerally work for all scenarios either, (for example the very first!) but
it works as a rule of thumb when all else fails or you haven't yet played the next level and therefore don't know what to expect!

Post by Guest »

blackjack wrote:1. Gryphon Riders, as stated above, because you can save 12 gold per time and because they have no advancement tree.
no, because if you did not pre-recruit, you would still save 12 gold per recall on all scenarios except the one you recruit them in. All pre-recruiting does is make it so that the next time (and only the next time) you recruit a gryphon rider, you save 12 gold (because you recalled instead).

BTW I can think of one more reason for pre-recruiting (though very unfeasible):
pre-recruit several units. In a later scenario, recall one of these units with traits of your choice. In this way you get a unit with traits that you like, and your initial expense of recruiting several units has been inflated and is now (almost) meaningless. This could work even for units with recruit cost <20. As I said, this is very unfeasible.
Darth Fool wrote:Yes, and it doesn't univerally work for all scenarios either, (for example the very first!)
wait.. it is a good idea to recruit near the end of Elves Besieged? I thought that if you stayed on the keep until halfway through, it was impossible to make it out.
Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

um...... You can recruit from a captured castle twords the end and still get out in time.
My contributions to the Wesnoth Project over time are inversly proportional to the number of registered forum users!
Piet Hein wrote:Knowing what thou knowest not is in a sence Omniscience
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Kamahawk wrote:um...... You can recruit from a captured castle twords the end and still get out in time.
i usually win on the very turn i kill that orcish warlord, so no, not really feasible. of course, i don't think its good strategy anyway, so i don't care. :)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

I just want to prove it was possible.
My contributions to the Wesnoth Project over time are inversly proportional to the number of registered forum users!
Piet Hein wrote:Knowing what thou knowest not is in a sence Omniscience