Dwarven Units

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
catpys

Dwarven Units

Post by catpys »

Just trying to stimulate discussion about Dwarven Units. Here are some quick ideas.
Dwarven Defender - the idea here isn't to deal out a lot of damage quickly, it's to outlast your opponent. At higher levels may use Rune Armor which has an aura that increases the defense of adjacent friendly units.
Dwarven Rune Warrior - uses Rune weapons made by the Runemasters. Higher levels gets better weapons.
Earth Elemental - okay, not a dwarf, but an ally. Their digging and tunneling brought them into contact with Earth Elementals who quickly became allies.
Dwarven Elementalist - Elementals taught some magic to the Dwarves, who use powerful elemental magic to help them tunnel and break up rock. These same magics are useful in combat. Just an excuse to give the Dwarves a mage. :)
Everyone feel free to offer ideas and discussion.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Here are my thoughts on your suggestions:

IMHO, dwarves should not get mages. Even the runemaster seems a little...odd. And what is it used for anyway?

Dwarvish defender has been proposed; i think it was approved, i'm not sure, someone needs to do graphics.

Why would elementals allign with dwarves? This seems to me like the same (flawed) argument for why woses should allign with elves.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

Dwarves wern't originally meant to be an independant race, they are evolving into one (which is a good thing) but I have problems seeing what should be the basic compromise for the dwarven race. I'd say heavy blows and slow, but solid would also come to mind. on the most common terrains (i.e not mountain) they are too slow to be really usable on their own...
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

I'm slowly (and painfully) working on making new dwarf units, including the graphic (that's the painfull part :)). Dave wasn't very enthousiatic about the graphic for the berserker set (from lvl1 to 3 as opposed to present lvl2 only) even if he is in favor of the princip itself. If you want to improve or make better graphics for this unit, it would be great.
I have to finish the lvl2 and 3 of the dwarf miner.
My version of defender is fighting with warhammer (+throwing hammer) and the two first level are basically complete.
There is a dwarf crossbowman to avoid using thunderstick (for me) but can be an additionnal range unit.
I have a poor graphic for a runelore apprentice lvl1 turning into either a loresmith or a runesmith. Inn my case, the rune smith will use rune stone as range weapon and will be able to carve some rune of power (will be rncoded in scenario rather than a real power).

I had considered the earth elemental but decided it wasn't really appropriate, so Im going to use cave bears witch will also provide some faster units for outdoor.
Err... I have even a picture of dwarf mounted on poney but I was told dwarf SHOULD NOT have mounted unit, so I will keep it for later.
Also ther should be some dwarf tracker and hunters (faster and slightly better outddoor)... because how do dwarf eat when there is not human around to sell them food?
If you want to contribute and make graphic (the true limiting factor) for any of these units, you are welcome.
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Christophe33 wrote:Dave wasn't very enthousiatic about the graphic for the berserker set (from lvl1 to 3 as opposed to present lvl2 only) even if he is in favor of the princip itself.
I don't recall saying I didn't like the graphics. They looked fine to me :)

Are the animations for them complete? Are we ready to go ahead and put them in?

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming