restart level menu option?

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

restart level menu option?

Post by Darth Fool »

I don't know how difficult this would be to implement, but I think a "restart level" option in the main menu that would allow you to restart a level from scratch would be quite handy. Not only would it save a few mouseclicks when you realize that you've lost a scenario, but it might prevent people who have save games from older versions of a scenario having to go back to a previous save in an earlier scenario if the current one changed significantly (ie test of the clans/lords.)
Rothrorn

Post by Rothrorn »

Sounds like an excellent idea to me
Rothrorn the Wise
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Restart level might be nice, although the need for this is alleviated a great deal in the CVS, since now saves made at the end of a scenario when prompted to save will always reload the scenario data when they are loaded instead of using the scenario data as at the time the save was made.

Of course, this could still be a nice option.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

Dave wrote:Restart level might be nice, although the need for this is alleviated a great deal in the CVS, since now saves made at the end of a scenario when prompted to save will always reload the scenario data when they are loaded instead of using the scenario data as at the time the save was made.
YES!!!! Oh, thank God, yes! This is probably the biggest improvement yet! Yippee! :D
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Insinuator wrote:
Dave wrote:Restart level might be nice, although the need for this is alleviated a great deal in the CVS, since now saves made at the end of a scenario when prompted to save will always reload the scenario data when they are loaded instead of using the scenario data as at the time the save was made.
YES!!!! Oh, thank God, yes! This is probably the biggest improvement yet! Yippee! :D
It's really not an improvement -- just a bug fix. It used to work like this, but a bug slipped in making it not work like that. Was very irritating, too.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Related to this - would it be possible to create a "game menu" which pops up when you press the escape key, with the basic options (save, load, restart, preferences, quit to main menu, quit altogether)? I feel that this is needed to give Wesnoth the "polish" it requires for 1.0.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Dave wrote:
Insinuator wrote: YES!!!! Oh, thank God, yes! This is probably the biggest improvement yet! Yippee! :D
It's really not an improvement -- just a bug fix. It used to work like this, but a bug slipped in making it not work like that. Was very irritating, too.

David
Well then, a similar bug could creep in again at a later date. Having a restart level would ameliorate the effects of such a bug :)
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Darth Fool wrote: Well then, a similar bug could creep in again at a later date. Having a restart level would ameliorate the effects of such a bug :)
I don't think that coding features "just in case a bug creeps in" is a good idea...

Although I do think that a 'restart level' option is a good idea anyway.

David
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Darth Fool wrote:Well then, a similar bug could creep in again at a later date. Having a restart level would ameliorate the effects of such a bug :)
only if "restart level" is based on something different; to make sure it does not fall prey to the same bug.