Multiplayer thoughts

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Cognito

Multiplayer thoughts

Post by Cognito »

What's your opinion on the following issues?

1) Unlimited turns for multiplayer play. Personally, I couldn't figure out a reason for having a 90 round limit.

2) The ability to recall units under certain special conditions. I'm not quite sure how this would work, but after I work hard to level up my units, it would be nice to experiment with them a little bit more against different types of enemies on different maps from the start. I can see how this might create issues, especially against networked human players, but it would be nice if there were some way to recall units against an AI player.

3) Having a map/scenario where a certain number of players start off with equal forces who are not located on keeps. On this map, there would be one or two less keeps than there are players, creating a fight to gain and hold keeps.

In another line of thought, I know that the interface is currently being worked on, but I do have a few questions/problems regarding this. First, the ability to "host" a multiplayer game against the computer is rather disguised: maybe I'm just stupid, but it wasn't till the second version I played (0.5.2) that I realized the "Host Multiplayer Game" led to the option of selecting computer opponents only, rather than requiring the setup of a network game. Though I'm not sure how difficult it would be to set this up, I think it might also be neater-looking if the dialog to select the type of player for each slot was replaced by a pop-up menu, but this is just a minor matter of opinion. Next, once you choose a map to host, you cannot go back and change your selection: you are forced to select players for the map, then quit the game if you would like to do so. Finally - though perhaps this problem has been discussed before, since I think I saw it on the list of projects at Savannah? - the ambush ability does not seem to work in multiplayer, as I can still see an enemy's Ranger when he is "dimmed" in a forest.

Whew...that was a lot of "talking" for one night. Thanks for "listening!" :)
miyo

Re: Multiplayer thoughts

Post by miyo »

Cognito wrote: 1) Unlimited turns for multiplayer play. Personally, I couldn't figure out a reason for having a 90 round limit.
99 turns is a lot of time... and if that runs short we can increase it to 999.
Cognito wrote: 2) The ability to recall units under certain special conditions. I'm not quite sure how this would work, but after I work hard to level up my units, it would be nice to experiment with them a little bit more against different types of enemies on different maps from the start. I can see how this might create issues, especially against networked human players, but it would be nice if there were some way to recall units against an AI player.
You can create custom scenarios yourself and playtest there. Just requires little work from your side.
Cognito wrote: 3) Having a map/scenario where a certain number of players start off with equal forces who are not located on keeps. On this map, there would be one or two less keeps than there are players, creating a fight to gain and hold keeps.
Will most likely be added when such scenario is contributed... any volunteers to do such a scenario?
Cognito wrote: I think it might also be neater-looking if the dialog to select the type of player for each slot was replaced by a pop-up menu, but this is just a minor matter of opinion.
You have not tested latest CVS, right?
Cognito wrote: Next, once you choose a map to host, you cannot go back and change your selection: you are forced to select players for the map, then quit the game if you would like to do so. Finally - though perhaps this problem has been discussed before, since I think I saw it on the list of projects at Savannah? - the ambush ability does not seem to work in multiplayer, as I can still see an enemy's Ranger when he is "dimmed" in a forest.
These will be fixed (near or far) future.

- Miyo