Non-free games?

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Non-free games?

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

The description for this forum says "Other free games." Is it okay to talk about non-free games here?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
turin
Lord of the East

Re: Non-free games?

Post by turin »

Elvish Pillager wrote:The description for this forum says "Other free games." Is it okay to talk about non-free games here?
well... based on the description of the topic, i would say no. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

You can if you must, but we really prefer talking about Free games :)
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

:O Why would you even want to talk about non-free games?
Elvish_Pillager

Neoriceisgood wrote::O Why would you even want to talk about non-free games?
Because I'm writing one.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
miyo

Post by miyo »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Because I'm writing one.
Please create your own forum for that.

- Miyo
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Because I'm writing one.
I wouldn't object if you started a thread telling us about your game. It wouldn't interest me personally, and probably many people here as much as a Free game, though.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Roots

Post by Roots »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Because I'm writing one.
Excuse me but, how much do you plan on charging for this game? How are you going to market it? Are you going to setup a purchase form on your website and mail it to people? Do you plan to try to get it developed so you could find it at Best Buy? Have you given any thought to this yet?

I'm going to take a guess and assume you are not a professional game developer and not from a professional gaming company. Are you trying to start your own? It just makes my mind go :shock: when I think about an amatuer trying to make a game and sell it (possibly to make a living?). All I have to say is it better be a dammmnnn good game if you actually want to produce a profit (I'm talking like rivaling the professional products out there). Nevertheless, good luck, but you probably won't see me buying the game :roll:
Hero of Allacrost, a 2D open source RPG. Check it out at http://www.allacrost.org.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Roots wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote: Because I'm writing one.
Excuse me but, how much do you plan on charging for this game? How are you going to market it? Are you going to setup a purchase form on your website and mail it to people? Do you plan to try to get it developed so you could find it at Best Buy? Have you given any thought to this yet?
Well, when we talk about 'Free' here we mean as in FLOSS [1]

He could be developing a no-cost, non-free (closed source etc) game.

I suppose it's more likely, he's developing a shareware game of some kind. I think if you know what you're doing, you could have a shot at earning some money off such an endeavour. It's probably harder than most people think though.

It also depends on where you live. If you can get $5-10,000US for a game that takes a year to write, that's fairly paltry if you live in the United States, for instance, but would be a small fortune in Eastern Europe.

David

[1] Free/Libre Open Source Software
Elvish_Pillager

Dave wrote:It also depends on where you live. If you can get $5-10,000US for a game that takes a year to write, that's fairly paltry if you live in the United States, for instance, but would be a small fortune in Eastern Europe.
I just say I'm writing a non-free game, and look at all the inferences people are making! :)
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Dave wrote:It also depends on where you live. If you can get $5-10,000US for a game that takes a year to write, that's fairly paltry if you live in the United States, for instance, but would be a small fortune in Eastern Europe.
I just say I'm writing a non-free game, and look at all the inferences people are making! :)
I didn't make 'inferences'.

If I were to guess, I'd say you live in the US, but I really have no idea.

I am pretty sure of one thing: you don't really live in Wesnoth ;)

David
benheath85

Post by benheath85 »

Roots wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote: Because I'm writing one.

I'm going to take a guess and assume[1] you are not a professional game developer and not from a professional gaming company. Are you trying to start your own? It just makes my mind go :shock: when I think about an amatuer trying to make a game and sell it (possibly to make a living?). All I have to say is it better be a dammmnnn good game if you actually want to produce a profit (I'm talking like rivaling the professional products out there). Nevertheless, good luck, but you probably won't see me buying the game :roll:
No, last I heard, Steve Pavlina is doing pretty well for himself at Dexterity, and his games aren't trying to "rival the professional products." (It makes me laugh when you say "professional" there. :P Almost like you're forgetting your ideals.) I doubt he's a millionaire, but I doubt he's broke. I admire your advocacy, but next time, look before you leap.

[1] assume = (ass)(u + me)
Benjamin Heath

For those about to rock...