[engine] ruined village suggestion

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Spannerbag

Re: [engine] ruined village suggestion

Post by Spannerbag »

gnombat wrote: February 25th, 2023, 11:16 am I think maybe the error message is spurious, or perhaps it's a bug in Wesnoth, because I can see the same error message in mainline. For example, the following save file gives me the error message Error while loading the map: Unknown tile in map: (Cyd) 'Cyd'. But it still loads OK...
Well, if mainline campaigns have this message and work OK that confirms my experience; I haven't had any issues relating to that terrain in gameplay or editor. I do have a problem with terrain masks (in another campaign I'm working on) but will revisit that when I resume developing that (I want to get this current campaign almost done then will decide whether to release on 1.16 or tweak for 1.18).

Thanks for the comment, good to know :)

Cheers!
-- Spannerbag
SP Campaigns: After EI (v1.14) Leafsea Burning (v1.17, v1.16)
I suspect the universe is simpler than we think and stranger than we can know.
Also, I fear that beyond a certain point more intelligence does not necessarily benefit a species...
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

octalot wrote: February 23rd, 2023, 3:21 pm Erm, those are officially supported - {./scenarios} is used in 1.16's World Conquest, and they're both used in 1.17's Winds of Fate.
I haven't been able to find any information confirming this. Is it supported in the game's code, or does it just tend to work because of where _main.cfg is usually located?
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

Just because of where the scenarios are relative to _main.cfg, when using the de-facto standard layout for campaigns.
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

gnombat wrote: February 25th, 2023, 11:16 am I think maybe the error message is spurious, or perhaps it's a bug in Wesnoth, because I can see the same error message in mainline. For example, the following save file gives me the error message Error while loading the map: Unknown tile in map: (Cyd) 'Cyd'. But it still loads OK...

UtBS-A Stirring in the Night-Auto-Save1.gz
The error probably comes from trying to show the minimap when loading the save. When you actually load the save the terrain will be defined because the campaign define will be set. After you loaded the save once (or started the campaign some other way) the error should be gone and you should see the minimap in the load dialog because the terrain is now known.
beetlenaut wrote: February 27th, 2023, 3:54 am
octalot wrote: February 23rd, 2023, 3:21 pm Erm, those are officially supported - {./scenarios} is used in 1.16's World Conquest, and they're both used in 1.17's Winds of Fate.
I haven't been able to find any information confirming this. Is it supported in the game's code, or does it just tend to work because of where _main.cfg is usually located?
It's documented here. It's a relative include so it does indeed depend on where the include is.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott