Waves of Distant Shore - Campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Anekron

A bit of feedback

Post by Anekron »

Hi again,

so here goes the promised feedback; will be a bit shorter since it's been a while since I've played the campaign.

Gameplay wise, I liked it better than Born to Live. It's rather polished, the maps are as beautiful as ever in your creations and the difficulty is mostly hovering around my sweet spot when I quite enjoy it. I really like the effects, such as the prayer casting light on the map and so on.

Most things I didn't like were fairly minor. I did not meet the Holy Brothers and from what I see in the code, they would make the first playable scenario quite a bit more enjoyable, as Merfolk Youths are hardly able to handle the undead on their own. If I had Initiates or Brawlers, it would feel much more fair.

There's a bit of jank, such as the naga leader saying I don't want to kill him inside a die event, last breath would be very much preferable in this case. Not really sure if it's worth pointing it out, since Konrad2 played the campaign recently and he's very thorough.

The only thing I'd strongly recommend changing is how the enemies sometimes appear out of nowhere. It forced me to reload in the naga scenario, since otherwise I wouldn't be able to kill the leader in time for the turn limit. Also a surprise like this only works for the first time. It's much better when the baddies are at least spawned in at some distance, such as with the Death Knight.

The worst case of this is actually not found in WoDS, but in Born to Live, even though I've failed to mention it in my older bit of feedback. There's an orc village that spawns 4 orcs around the unit that captures it, which means you will just reload, gather your entire army and place it around the village and only then take it, trivialising the encounter.

To end on a more positive note, I totally dig the blue haze of your custom time of day, I also like how you wrought the mythological elements into the story and I did enjoy the campaign overall. It clearly showcases your progress as a creator. :)
Developer of The Rootless, an orcish campaign aimed at beginners.