Some music propostion

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Hi Dave!

I'm happy you liked the music. As you said:
>I would love to have a dedicated, talented musician who would be willing to produce all the tracks for the game.

I am willing to do a big work on the game. I don't mind sharing parts with other musicians. But its true we need a good organisation. Like choosing who does what campaign. I am ready so spend lots of time on this (is there a dead line by the way?). Maybe you could provide some screenshots of some maps of some campaigns. Like the undead and stuff, i actually did not have time to really play the game and i ignored there was an Undead campagin :p

And for Azlan, you said:
>But we like the "real" music stuff so no midi here..
>So it will take a little longer.. Have to go to the studio and stuff..

Midi is a first solution but how do you want to have good "real" orchestral piece without renting an 3000$ small orchestra a day... Midi is the only way out. Even in big budget games they don't use real orchestra. Actually they use the famous "Giga sampler" (Viena Orchestra). But you don't want to know the price of that ;)

Anyway, so what is think and would suggest is that you devellopers make kind of a list of who does what in wich style. Provides screenshots or description of maps. I for myself can provide different styles. But i need directions and organization. I don't want to be a pain... but its the only way to work well here. I've done many similar works and organization makes it all work. Well feel free to PM for any comments or questions.

Aleksi.

P.S. Sorry Dave but i don't know what "Ogg Vorbis format" is and how to make it... :)
azlan

Real music..

Post by azlan »

I don't intend to play classic music..
As i said.. Like Blind Guardian..
Download a song from them say like "Lord of the ring".

And by the way..
They have a really hi-tech studio in the school that we borrow some times..
So we can fake the violins and stuff on the sytheziser.. :)
|----------------------|
| The Lion is Back |
|----------------------|
miyo

Post by miyo »

Romi wrote: i don't know what "Ogg Vorbis format" is and how to make it... :)
http://www.vorbis.com/

- Miyo
miyo

Post by miyo »

We are already lacking "manager" for graphics... and now we need one for music.

Wiki can be used to coordinate the work... anyone can add WesnothMusic (or WesnothGraphics as well) page there and start the work.

Rami, would it be sufficient if we provide replays to you? You would not have to play... only view how someone has played that scenario...

- Miyo
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Thanks for the link and replays work fine. :)
miyo

Post by miyo »

Romi wrote:replays work fine. :)
What operating system are you running? What version of Wesnoth are you running? Latest stable? CVS?

- Miyo
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

I am on mac OS X and i run Version 0.5.1 that i downloaded from the site.
Lithorien

Post by Lithorien »

I've submitted some music as well, and would be happy to work with anyone else on creating a group to oversee the submission/creation of game music. Not like I have much else to do for 9 hours. ;)
Know your Allies Well, Know your Enemies Better. -Sun Tzu, The Art of War.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Aleksi,

If you're willing to spend lots of time producing quality music for us, then once you gain the trust/respect of myself and other developers, we will appoint you as the head of music development - that means that you'll get to choose which music goes in the game, and which music doesn't.

At the current time, each scenario has a track that is played while the scenario is being played. We have more scenarios than tracks, so some tracks are repeated.

One idea I have had though, is for each side within a scenario to have a track that is played - while the Elves are moving, there is Elvish style music, while the Orcs are moving, there is sinister sounding Orcish music. This is the way it currently works in multiplayer.

You might like to see http://wesnoth.slack.it/?WesnothStoryline to get an overview of the storyline.

We also might like things like a short victory tune when the player wins, and a short defeat tune when the player loses.

Ogg Vorbis is a format for playing music in, like mp3. We can accept music in wav format, and we will convert it to ogg vorbis ourselves, but you should be able to find a program that converts to ogg vorbis without much difficulty.

David
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

David,

I thank you for your answer. As i said before i am very motivated by the project and i am going to fulfill my task as much as i can. I would be honored to be in charge of the audio section. :D

As for what you said:
One idea I have had though, is for each side within a scenario to have a track that is played - while the Elves are moving, there is Elvish style music, while the Orcs are moving, there is sinister sounding Orcish music. This is the way it currently works in multiplayer.
If find it very good. I'll search into that.
We also might like things like a short victory tune when the player wins, and a short defeat tune when the player loses.
I'll start right away!

As for the ogg vorbis format someone gave me a link and i downloaded the app needed for that.

Cheers,

Aleksi.
methinks

Post by methinks »

wELL IT MAY WORK JUST FINE BUT IT MAYBE HARD TO MAKE A SMOOH TRANSITION. pLUS i THINK THAT (ups caps, sorry) some scenarios should have only one type of music. I.E. first one and The Valey of Death. They are rather dramatic and there is no place for smooth serene Elven music while you are being suronded by HORDES of suckers.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

methinks wrote:i THINK THAT (ups caps, sorry) some scenarios should have only one type of music. I.E. first one and The Valey of Death. They are rather dramatic and there is no place for smooth serene Elven music while you are being suronded by HORDES of suckers.
That's fine, some scenarios can have all of one style of music, others can have music varying according to the side.
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

New post on my server.

I did it in five min! Its for when you lose. See you , gotta go to my music culture class!

Aleksi.

http://aleksi.free.fr/
methinks

Post by methinks »

It is great, heh, but as for me... way too glorious.
When I close my eyes I see a man with his coat wet, falling to his knees onto muddy earth, kneeling in rain raising his hand, whilst he had finally broken his darkest days. He has finally won, though he has lost everything. Yet won. Still it is only me, heh. And still it is a great piece.
Sofronius

Post by Sofronius »

methinks wrote:It is great, heh, but as for me... way too glorious.
When I close my eyes I see a man with his coat wet, falling to his knees onto muddy earth, kneeling in rain raising his hand, whilst he had finally broken his darkest days. He has finally won, though he has lost everything. Yet won. Still it is only me, heh. And still it is a great piece.
I agree with methinks that it's too glorious (especially the last chord). So we are two ;-) I also agree, that it's nice piece of music. Notice about victory too expensive is interesting. Maybe we could (in future) implement support for wider scale of victory/loss music. This piece would be used if player have won but has lost more than half of his army, or something like that.