How should I get involved? Give me work to do!

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

scott

Post by scott »

Skizac wrote:Because now I'll do all the work and none of the other devs will have anything to do! :twisted: Rarr, phear me. :P

But seriously, I'm very very motivated to contribute right now, and I hope that motivation stays around for a while. Hopefully it won't take me too long to get comfortable with C++ again.

Join the IRC chatroom #wesnoth-dev on the IRC server irc.freenode.net. The coders hang out there and you can discuss what you could do.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

The first thing you need to understand to contribute as a coder is that Wesnoth uses a style of C++ that many consider rather 'advanced'. Many people who know some C/C++ hybrid will struggle to contribute code to Wesnoth, since the style is rather different. We use containers and builtin algorithms extensively, and use techniques to avoid explicit memory management.

This is just meant to be a warning, not a discouragement. Also, many people have found their C++ skills greatly broadened by contributing to Wesnoth, so it can be seen as an opportunity.

There are plenty of areas to contribute in -- I think the best thing to do is choose something that you think could be improved about the game, and which would improve your experience and start on it. You could also look at our bug database and try to contribute some bug fixes.

Dropping by on IRC and discussing ideas for changes is certainly a great way to go.

Good luck!

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Skizac

Post by Skizac »

Dave wrote:The first thing you need to understand to contribute as a coder is that Wesnoth uses a style of C++ that many consider rather 'advanced'. Many people who know some C/C++ hybrid will struggle to contribute code to Wesnoth, since the style is rather different. We use containers and builtin algorithms extensively, and use techniques to avoid explicit memory management.

This is just meant to be a warning, not a discouragement. Also, many people have found their C++ skills greatly broadened by contributing to Wesnoth, so it can be seen as an opportunity.
Thanks for the advice!

I'm actually excited by the prospect of learning a new, advanced style of C++. Why code like a sloppy hack when you can code like a ninja architect? :D

The quality and quantity of responses that I've gotten in the one day since I've made this thread has really impressed me. I can tell that this whole team is excited about Wesnoth development, and that makes me more excited.

I tried to contribute to another game a while back, and I could only get one person to give me any sort of half-useful response. He didn't even seem to care about the game, which was a big downer.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

I have another thing which you could do.

allow custom credits to be played either before or after the official ones in a campaign, this would allow campaign designers to properly accredit contributers.

Hopefully all that you'll have to do is make a WML command which add on to the credits. (I just hope that it is that easy, but I am no coder)