The South Guard

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

aelius

Post by aelius »

I've planned on it having eight. The first three are done (but being tested and improved). I still have some scripting to do for the fourth. I have the map for the fifth, and the story for the sixth through eighth.

I want it to be something that can be played through and won by someone new to the game in a couple of hours, as a good introduciton.

- b.
aelius

Post by aelius »

I've got a couple of minutes between grading quizzes, so I thought I'd upload a new version of the South Guard scenario. It has bug fixes too numerous to mention, and should work fine in 0.8.3 and 0.8.4 (knock on wood)

Big Changes:

* The hero is now named Deoran
* Finding the Elves is now playable and should finish correctly.
* Balancing on The Kerlath Border and Retaking Westin.
* Near Lake Kerumbar is now playable (and winable)
* Map of A Choice Must Be Made included (but the scenario is nowhere near done)

As always, bug reports and feedback are welcome. My next project is to come up with some graphics for a Lance commander like I did for the horesman commander.

Enjoy!

- b.
aelius

Post by aelius »

I've made some major updates to The South Guard (as it's now named).

Version 0.3.1 Changes:

* The Kerlath Border rebalanced and updated to use new mermen.
* Retaking Westin completely redone with new map and objectives.
* Finding the Elves rebalanced and bug tweaked.
* Near Lake Kerumbar rebalanced and good dialogue added.

* Choice in the Fog now complete, and introduces the first branch.
* New Scenario: The Messenger - complete.
* New Scenario: Into the Depths - in progress.
* New Scenario: The Long March - in progress.

This version plays like a completely different campaign than the last version, but I'm still aiming for a short campaign (playable in a day) for beginners that gradually teaches them to deal with the various things they run into in the world of Wesnoth.

Thanks to everyone who's been helping me with my WML.

As always, bug reports and ideas most welcome. Grab it off the campaign server all the way down at the bottom!

- b.
Attachments
Here's the master plan for the campaign.
Here's the master plan for the campaign.
South Guard Plan.jpg (28.59 KiB) Viewed 41752 times
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I find it kind of odd to have a split that goes for so many scenarios and does not even reunite at the end. The plot would be completely changed depending on which one you go to...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
aelius

Post by aelius »

That's the plan. Depending on the choices you make, there are (big) consequences. Some are good, and some are less good.

- b.
scott

Post by scott »

Is this still a beginner campaign? Last I played it I was having a hard time finding the elves. It was probably just me.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
aelius

Post by aelius »

That's the plan still. In finding the elves all you have to do is move your hero to the keep in the giant castle in the forest. If you send him east with two or three turns worth of recruits and recalls it should be pretty easy. I'll add one of those nice "go here" images on the citadel.

Was the hard time getting to the right place or fighting off the bandits?

(Thanks for playing!)

- b.
scott

Post by scott »

Mostly getting across the river with enough life to fight off the rest of the bandits. It's alright. I'll get it eventually.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
aelius

Post by aelius »

Can you send me a replay if you get a chance? Are you trying to go straight north or east and then north? I think it's easier if you go east first.

- b.
scott

Post by scott »

I figured it out. I think my army was too weak before. You probably noticed I started over; I have lots of hefty fighters now.

Here are some bugs and observations for Finding the Elves:
- when you kill the leader, they talk about how many more undead must they fight
-- this might make sense in the big picture, but in this scenario you didn't fight any and it doesn't really fit to talk about fighting undead here. Even the undead you do fight up to this point aren't that scary and the enemies always used bandits as their primary fighters

- Ethilel:
"...one elf who knows the path of the great forst"

- Deoran:
"These fould dead pose..."
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
aelius

Post by aelius »

scott wrote: - when you kill the leader, they talk about how many more undead must they fight
Silly bug with the recruiting code. Fixed. The undead in Finding the Elves should be scarier now, but nothing you can't handle. (Dark Adepts!)

And who doesn't spell "forest" like "forst"... Fixed!

Do you find the maps so far interesting and playable? I like making larger, more expansive, maps, but I've tried to keep the scenarios playable by having big sections of the map that are just there for eye candy.

- b.
scott

Post by scott »

Yeah I think the maps are fun to play on, especially Retaking Westin. Finding the elves does need explicit direction about where to go however.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
PDF

Post by PDF »

Hi,
This campain is nice, but crashes at start on the 2nd scenario (Retaking Westin) under 0.8.8, with a message "Load_game_failed : unit not found "Criminal" :(
What's up ? It looks like the campaign version (0.3.1) is very new, so should be 0.8.8 compatible, or isn't it ? :?:
Please help ! :wink:
PDF
aelius

Post by aelius »

That's curious - I'm running 0.8.8 and I can't replicate that behaviour. Can you post a copy of the saved game file you're trying to load? I suppose you could comment out all the {AMBUSHER ...} calls in the scenario file (by putting a # at the beginning of the line) - that should fix it.

- b.
PDF

Post by PDF »

aelius wrote:That's curious - I'm running 0.8.8 and I can't replicate that behaviour. Can you post a copy of the saved game file you're trying to load? I suppose you could comment out all the {AMBUSHER ...} calls in the scenario file (by putting a # at the beginning of the line) - that should fix it.

- b.
Do you have the latest SG version ? I downloaded mine only 2 days ago.
And 8) I've found the cause : there's a GUARD macro (to create a guarding unit) in the sg_utils file : for some unknown reason this macro call it is not "read" correctly by the game engine, stderr indicates bad number of args and this creates the crash - maybe a "guard" command/function already exists, but I didn't find references .
Anyway, renaming it to stg else (SG_GUARD for example) makes it work :)
My non existent WML skills are rising sharply :lol: !
So I've played Retaking Westin, and even on Easy I was totally annihilated, the roaming village-burning bandits are very hard to stop ! :? :(
PDF