For the test of the Clans etc. Samurai?

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
MattiRoto

For the test of the Clans etc. Samurai?

Post by MattiRoto »

To make the scenario more worth while...

How about a Samurai unit?

it would be expencive at first but would have0upkeep

they would keep the same name "Samurai" for 4 levels and then upgrade to Samurai Lordetc.
Dacyn

Re: For the test of the Clans etc. Samurai?

Post by Dacyn »

MattiRoto wrote:How about a Samurai unit?
No. Samurai is too specific.
MattiRoto wrote:it would be expencive at first but would have0upkeep
so, it would be lvl 0. This is not a specialty, it just makes the unit seem weird.
MattiRoto wrote:they would keep the same name "Samurai" for 4 levels and then upgrade to Samurai Lordetc.
WML syntax does not even allow this...
and the name should change. Otherwise people talking about the units would get confused.

And there should be no more lvl 4 units, unless there is a very good reason. :x :x
KISS- keep it simple, stupid

When reading the above quote from TWP, keep in mind the words of Antoine de Saint-Exupéry: "Language is the source of misunderstandings."
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Wesnoth is consistently portrayed as being a country based on western/European society and culture. Suddenly introducing Samurai, which have an inseperable association with Japan and the Far East would lead the user to the impression that Wesnoth's culture is somewhat schizophrenic.

I think that perhaps a campaign where the player ventures into the Far East and meets samurai could be interesting, but putting them into the country of Wesnoth wouldn't fit.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Dacyn wrote:
MattiRoto wrote:they would keep the same name "Samurai" for 4 levels and then upgrade to Samurai Lordetc.
WML syntax does not even allow this...
Actually it does. Li'sar is called a Princess whether she is level 2 or level 3.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

"princess" "Battle princess"

But I agree with dave, unless someone makes a campaign of the far east (I'm making one east of wesnoth, but not realy all the way to japan in true world map locations) could include asian units but currently they would have no reason to go to wesnoth as it's just a big island that's constantly waging wars.
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Dave wrote:
Dacyn wrote: WML syntax does not even allow this...
Actually it does. Li'sar is called a Princess whether she is level 2 or level 3.
no, in WML the name of a unit type is the same as the ID, and of course IDs must be unique. So unless there has been a change, I don't see how Li'sar could be called "Princess" on both levels.
I assumed you meant the tree should go like this:
Samurai->Samurai->Samurai->Samurai->Samurai Lord
which is impossible.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

I wouldn't argue with Dave on the way the game works mate. I really wouldn't. ;)

The title (Princess) which appears beneath the character's name (Li'sar) does not have to be unique, it's set within the unit file. The name of the unit file, on the other hand, does.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Sangel wrote:I wouldn't argue with Dave on the way the game works mate. I really wouldn't. ;)

The title (Princess) which appears beneath the character's name (Li'sar) does not have to be unique, it's set within the unit file. The name of the unit file, on the other hand, does.
Except that Dacyn is actually (basically) right on this. You can't have two units with the same name.

The title is different than the unit name. You couldn't have the upgrade of Princess be Princess, unless it upgrades into itself.

About the Samurai thing, i really don't like this idea. The scenario is already 'interesting', IMHO, and, in any case, adding samurai wouldn't help it. It would just be very illogical.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Dacyn, Turin, perhaps you should look at what 3rd-level Li'sar is called in-game? ;)

Afaik the phrase 'Battle Princess' is never seen by the user in-game [1], and if it is, that's a bug.

How is this achieved? Through (ab)use of the internationalization system. In data/translations/english.cfg you will see,

Code: Select all

BattlePrincess="Princess"
This technique can be used to make units have the same description at different levels, if we want to do that. (I'm not saying it's a good idea in general, and I bet I'm going to get howls of protest about Li'sar :-p )

David

[1] Except for the debug mode 'Create Unit' dialog.
Insinuator

Ignorant fools

Post by Insinuator »

Boy, that was funny. :lol: If you've played the main campaign for BFW in the past, say, month, it is extremely obvious that she does indeed keep her name. :lol: Arguing with the creator about code. :lol: It's like arguing with God over what constitutes DNA. And they call me ignorant. :lol:
Dacyn

Re: Ignorant fools

Post by Dacyn »

Insinuator wrote:Boy, that was funny. :lol: If you've played the main campaign for BFW in the past, say, month, it is extremely obvious that she does indeed keep her name. :lol:
is this some kind of requirement? It is not obvious if you just use debug to see what new units there are, and never play the later-level Konrad campaign levels. (There are other campaigns too!)
and I am not even sure it would be extremely obvious. To you maybe...
Insinuator wrote:Arguing with the creator about code. :lol: It's like arguing with God over what constitutes DNA. And they call me ignorant. :lol:
I believe we were actually arguing with Sangel about his incorrect statement that the filename has something to do with it.
Anyway, since I thought that Princess was not the name for the lvl 3 Li'sar, I assumed Dave meant that both levels had the word "Princess" in their name.
MattiRoto

Post by MattiRoto »

Okay I may add them to my Elder campaign. And make it farther to the East than I originally planned.
MattiRoto

Post by MattiRoto »

Oh didn't know the Test of the Clans was already argued out still thout you were looking for ideas. :lol: