Turn time limit

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
telly

Turn time limit

Post by telly »

An option to set a timelimit for people to take their turns in multiplayer might be good. Games with lots of players and/or units can slow down to a crawl sometimes.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

It's a thought, certainly. Many turn-based games have this option.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

Id' rather have a system for players to vote other players into forced end-turn
erl
Inactive Developer

Post by erl »

Boucman wrote:Id' rather have a system for players to vote other players into forced end-turn
I agree, that would be reasonable. Although I think it would be best if it was allowed only after the player has been idle for a certain amount of time, to avoid abuse.
Shundread

Post by Shundread »

Why not simply set a "Turn Time Limit" in the game creation screen? It goes from around 2 minutes to unlimited.

-Shundread
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

Sounds like the beginning of some Iron man options! It would be fun in single player mode as well. I can't imagine it not being at least a semi-trivial chunk of code either. You got my vote!
miyo

Post by miyo »

oh... go and play some RTS if you want time limits :P

- Miyo
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Woodwizzle wrote:I can't imagine it not being at least a semi-trivial chunk of code either. You got my vote!
This depends heavily on whether the time limits are governed by the client or server. If they're done by the client, then it may be possible to cheat, although this would probably become fairly noticeable quickly.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Integral

Post by Integral »

miyo wrote:oh... go and play some RTS if you want time limits :P

- Miyo
Are you saying chess is an RTS? :wink:

Daniel
miyo

Post by miyo »

Integral wrote:Are you saying chess is an RTS? :wink:
No, I did not say so. I said if you want to play with time limits... play RTS...

- Miyo
AT

but

Post by AT »

But what if we want to play a Turn Based Strategy game (maybe one called Wesnoth?) with time limits...

But seriously, this is an interesting idea, but less important than, say, my new pet peeve, making it so you can see whether you're oppenent starts with 20000 gold.
Gandalf-"I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun. Go back to the Shadow. You cannot pass!"
AT- "That sounds like more trouble than it's worth."
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: but

Post by Dave »

AT wrote: my new pet peeve, making it so you can see whether you're oppenent starts with 20000 gold.
(On any Unix-like system) -- save game to 'gold' on startup, and then run,

Code: Select all

grep "gold=" $HOME/.wesnoth/saves/gold
David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Integral

Post by Integral »

miyo wrote:
Integral wrote:Are you saying chess is an RTS? :wink:
No, I did not say so. I said if you want to play with time limits... play RTS...
To be a little more verbose than I was above:

Chess games are typically played with time limits. They are a bit different from the limits proposed here -- the limit is for a full game and per side, so (for instance) each side might have two hours in which to play the entire game; if you run out of time, you lose. I don't think this would be appropriate for Wesnoth, but the point is that the grandfather of all strategy games employs a time limit. Whether you care depends on whether you're interested in appeals to authority, I guess :)

Daniel