Displaying current defense

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Displaying current defense

Post by Darth Fool »

Currently, if I don't remember what a unit's defense on a particular terrain is, I need to click through a few times to find out. Since the defense of a unit on its current terrain is a major consideration in combat, perhaps it should be displayed more prominantly?
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: Displaying current defense

Post by Dave »

Darth Fool wrote:Currently, if I don't remember what a unit's defense on a particular terrain is, I need to click through a few times to find out. Since the defense of a unit on its current terrain is a major consideration in combat, perhaps it should be displayed more prominantly?
In the top-right corner of the screen is displayed the currently select unit's movement cost and defense on the terrain the mouse is currently on. So, if the mouse is on the hex the unit is standing on, it'll show the unit's current defense.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Cool. I'll have to look for it now that I know it's there. Does this work for enemy units as well?
Shundread

Post by Shundread »

Well... there's so much free space in the right corner... place something like
Current Evade: XX

I've made an example of how it could look. I think it would be nice, specially for beginners
ettin
Lord of Glamdrol

Post by ettin »

Shundread wrote:Well... there's so much free space in the right corner... place something like
Current Evade: XX
Free space? Where??
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1451
;)
miyo

Post by miyo »

Shundread,

are you playing 800x600?

- Miyo
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

OK, now that I have looked at this in game I have a suggestion. Move this information down below the map and day-night graphic and move them up into the corner. This would not take any more space, but it would put this important info about the unit near to the other info about the unit.
Shundread

Post by Shundread »

I've changed to 800x600, there still seems to be space for Evade:XX, though it would look just ugly now... =)

But it still seems fittable (even with units with 3 attacks and abilities)

-Shundread
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Shundread wrote:I've changed to 800x600, there still seems to be space for Evade:XX, though it would look just ugly now... =)
Even if an Elvish Druid is the unit you're looking at?

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

I have a nicer idea. How about, when mousing over a unit (Enemy or Friendly), you get a nice little summary of its status, displayed beside it on the map? HP and Defense would be the critical components.

Yes, I'm aware that these things show up in the sidebar, but this would be quicker and more user-friendly - your eyes never have to leave where you're moving the mouse.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry