Display of difficulty setting?

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Michael

Display of difficulty setting?

Post by Michael »

It's entirely possible that I'm blind, but if there isn't a way to see the current difficulty level, displaying this bit of information might make a tiny but nice addition (maybe in the statistics box?).

(Yes, I admit I forgot what I had selected!)
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Good lord. Well, for now you can open your savefile in any text editor - your difficulty level should be pretty prominent in there.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Michael

Post by Michael »

Oh, I didn't know you can open them in a text editor! ;) Ah, there, "difficulty="EASY"". Still, might be nice if you could access the information in the game. It's very minor, though, no doubt!
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

I think this information should be displayed when loading a game... Maybe when a save is highlighted, the difficulty is displayed(somewhere)?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Dacyn wrote:I think this information should be displayed when loading a game... Maybe when a save is highlighted, the difficulty is displayed(somewhere)?
or save games are divided into folders, with easy saves in one, medium in another, hard in another...and different campaign saves should be separate too.

oh, and i also want a bomb that can destroy the world by noon tommorrow. ;)

but those listed above (except for the bomb) are actually good ideas. how hard would they be to implement?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

EASY, HARD ... and such are only variables defined in WML... you can create a campaign with 8 difficult settings
The game engine dont really know too much about it...
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Dacyn wrote:I think this information should be displayed when loading a game... Maybe when a save is highlighted, the difficulty is displayed(somewhere)?
The main problem with this, as with many simliar ideas about displaying such information is that it wouldn't be possible to find the information without loading the save file in, and loading a save file in can be an expensive operation.

We may consider solving this by having a 'meta save file' which contains basic information about all saves (difficulty level, perhaps reference to a previwe screenshot of the game, etc), but until that happens, and it could be alot of work, we can't have anything like this. If this system were implemented, it also has the problem that if you put a save game in there that was sent to you, it won't appear in the meta save file, and so the game won't have information about it.

We could perhaps have it displayed on the 'scenario objectives' dialog box though.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming