Island of Anduin

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Blades

Island of Anduin

Post by Blades »

Hello,
I recently(about 2 hours ago) downloaded Battle for Wesnoth and so far I think it's a pretty cool game.

The campaign has a nice storyline(of what i've been through) but I have a problem:

I can't beat the Island of Anduin level! :oops:

I only start with 34 gold(just barely managed to scrape by in the blackmoor port level) and one man near to leveling(an archer) And no matter how many ways I try to do it I always lose. I even attempted running Delfador along the edge of the island in a near-suicide attempt to kill the orc warrior(Konrad died before he made it though, :cry: )

So if anyone has any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it!
Should I replay the blackmoor port so that I win better and thusly have more at the start of Anduin?

Please help!
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

You should play at easy
At the end of Blackwaters I managed to have at least 150 gold.
On the other hand I'm recalling Dave talking about making that level harder...
If you are truly interested edit your savefile and give you a bit more of gold.
BrassJ

Re: Island of Anduin

Post by BrassJ »

Blades wrote: Should I replay the blackmoor port so that I win better and thusly have more at the start of Anduin?
Yes, go back and redo Blackmoor. If you need to change difficulty levels, and you don't want to start over then edit the save file to change difficulty.

PS -- train your troops, don't rely on Delfador to much. work on keeping your troops alive, eventually they will level up and be much stronger. Also, its not a bad idea to train Konrad as well.
Last edited by BrassJ on November 2nd, 2003, 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-BrassJ
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I recommend going back and redoing scenario 2 and possibly 1 as well.

I do not recommend editing your saved game, as I think that'll only ruin your fun.

David
miyo

Post by miyo »

What difficulty level are you playing?

- Miyo
Blades

Re:

Post by Blades »

Easy. :oops:

I guess I'll go back and redo 2, I don't wanna redo 1 because I'm pretty sure I did very well on it,(I finished about 11 turns early or so) and it took forever.

To the blackmoor port!
yawningdog

Post by yawningdog »

From my experience, you should focus on upgrading units instead of trying to finish scenarios early. Experienced units are way more valuable than gold.

That said, I find that upgrading units on scenario 1 is a bit hard, because 2 out of 3 times your 'allies' will finish up the foes you've left badly wounded, stealing your experience points (grrr... that's really annoying). After some atempts, trying to stick my units together and concentrating my attacks on a single enemy I managed to get a Druid and a ranger (playing on medium difficulty). Anyway, if you can't upgrade units at first level, you'll probably do on the next (just remember to use recall).

As for scenario 2... haven't played it yet, need to check it out from CVS. :)

I found that the Isle of Anduin scenario was rather easy, but again, I don't know if any changes were made on version 0.5, nor the impact of going first through the Blackwaters scenario. What worked for me was sending 3-4 horsemen to the northern west, gathering lots of villages. Also, that makes for a good chance of getting one or two knights (plenty of wolf riders, troll whelps and orcish warriors to "practice" with). I sended my veteran infantry units to the east side and holded position next to the southern woods untill the chavalry came. After that, victory was inevitable. :D
Blades

Similar problem

Post by Blades »

I had a similar problem with the Blackwater Port scenario, every time I managed to bring an enemy unit low in hp one of the mages would finish it off, so I had a few guys who managed to get maybe 1/4th the way tot he next level, and one who only needed 1 more xp.

After I post this I'm going to go play BP over, I just got back from my school's open house. But first, what is this CVS? And also, I tried to find and download the SDL libraries on to my OS X, but the package install said it couldn't verify certain files so it didn't work so I'm running the embedded version. Does that make a difference?

Also I have some limited experience with C and compiling(I've been out of practice for a while) but after I finish the game I might be interested in helping anyway needed.

Thanks for the advice. To the Port!
Blades

P.S.

Post by Blades »

I forgot to mention about the C. I'm not sure what Wesnoth is even compiled in(I haven't bothered to check) So I'm not sure if it would even be useful that I know some C.

Cya.
yawningdog

Post by yawningdog »

I forgot to mention about the C. I'm not sure what Wesnoth is even compiled in(I haven't bothered to check) So I'm not sure if it would even be useful that I know some C.
Wesnoth is programmed in C++. Also, knowledge of SDL, networking and/or AI would help (I guess... I don't speak for the developers, since I'm just a [censored] that comes by and never finds the time to contribute some code/units/scenarios/etc. But I think that was what Dave was looking for in new programmers).

As for CVS, it's a nice version control system (it stands for Concurrent Versioning System), which is a program that helps a team of developers work on a project all at the same time (in fact, it's useful for many other things than that, but that is what it is most usually used for). For developers it is a fine tool that allows them to coordinate their work, and for users it's a way to stay "bleeding-edge", getting the very latest version the devs. are working in at the moment (so you can get a taste of new features, test suggested game changes, squash bugs before they make it to the release versions, etc.).

Here you'll find instructions to checkout, compile and update the latest version of the game from CVS: http://www.ventu.info/wesnoth/?WesnothCVS
Blades

I did it!

Post by Blades »

I redid Blackwater Port and managed a stunning victory where I ended with an Elven Marksman, an Elven Ranger, and 1 fighter close to leveling.(The tip about not relying on Delfador helped a lot.)
Even though I was trying to end up with more exp than gold I actually beat it quicker :) so i had 116 gold at the start of Anduin instead of 34!

I finished Anduin 11 turns early(getting 39 gold per turn(brining my total to somewhere int he 500s after the 20% was deducted) And with the following heros:
2 Elvish(en?) Outriders
1 Elven Marksman(The same from BP)
1 Elven Ranger(see above note)
1 Elven Hero
1 Elven Captain(Ex fighter from BP)

And the following guys with mid to high exp:
1 Elven Shaman
And a handful of fighters and archers with some exp.

Thanks for the advice!(you can let the topic die now I guess)
Cya-
BrassJ

Post by BrassJ »

congratualations....
though, I would have gone for nights instead of outriders.
but then, I know what some of the higher levels look like, and I like paladins.
horseman -> nights -> paladins
-BrassJ
Blades

Outriders

Post by Blades »

I was looking for sheer speed and both my horsemen had the "Quick" trait so I now have two outriders with 11 for movement :P
I think the speed is nice because it allows my outriders to outrun anything that might try to chase them down after they zip ahead of the rest of my forces, plus it always helps to know you have a couple cavalry that can jump into the thick of things from just about anywhere on that side of the map.

Besides, whatever comes after an Outrider must be strong because it takes 500 exp to get there.

Cya, I'm off to do the bay of pearls cause I got school of today whoopee :lol: !
miyo

Post by miyo »

Outrider does not have next level.

- Miyo
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I think that knights vs outriders is a close choice. Personally I like high-speed units, but then the power of knights isn't to be denied. I generally get one or two outriders, and the rest knights.

I'm sorry to disappoint, but 500 experience means that that unit cannot advance any higher than it already is. That's an advantage of a knight: knights can advance to third level, while outriders can't.

David