Ageless Era - Current Version: 4.33

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

IPS

Re: Ageless Era - Current Version: 4.31

Post by IPS »

Yo, will be posting a link where all can see the upcoming pre 1.18 wesnoth arcane rebalance from Ageless, as a transitional update between 1.16 and 1.18.

Link
https://github.com/ProditorMagnus/Agele ... g-4.32.txt

Intentions here is quite obvious, first, most of high (20%) arcane ressistant human factions that had as well good physical ressistance were dominant and tiered in A+ or higher , so most of these factions got a slight adjustment, still some units STILL got fire/cold ressitances in compensation to not harm too much to certain factions. Now factions with only arcane mages will do bit better in most gamemodes and particularly, more consistent in their damage output.

Few other notable things to mention
- AE - Steel Hive - Sentient AMLA XP reworks, so it can scale faster for extra damages, but bit slower for gain of HP.
- Imperial Era Marauders +10% arcane ressists, as usually they struggle because of low physical ressistances and only 50% castle defense. Needs more skill to work well.

And lots of lesser things mentioned in changelog 4.32.

EDIT: Most likely , AGELESS GREAT WARS will be a 4.33 goal project.
after realizing how much effor it's required , I think I should work in that in 4.33 instead of our present 4.32 release.

Will be working in soon in Ageless Great Wars project, which will be a variant of Ageless Era that allows player to play in bigger factions of same thematic (coalitions) , similar as how it used to be in Wesnoth's Great Wars before it got removed from default. Some examples of already in mind coalitions in mind.

Take in mind that some factions in AE could be missing , meaning that they don't exist in any of the coaltions, BUT, you can pick factions with larger mounts of units and idea is to make different gameplay than just recruiting EOMA units.

Plans are to include SOME of EOMA units , but certan units will be missing in AE - Great wars (for example, for summoners, all FOUR (air, water, earth , fire & portals) elementals will be missing in their coalition with fanatics and some other sand themed coalition) BUT very likely, EOMA summoners elementals instead being in OTHER coalition. Or in case of Certain Sky Kingdom units split into different coalitions (Black mages are not compatible with Windsongs for example...)

Lost Souls: Anakes + Despair + Fallen + Phantom
Sacred Order: Celestials + Luz + Holy Order + (SOME) Kharos units (not all)
Deadly Savages: FL Natives + ME Tribalists + EFM Pygmies + EFM Highlanders
Vallhallan Warriors: ELE Vikings + ME Highlanders + EFM Whites + Marauders
And many more factions!!
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
IPS

Post by IPS »

Been really long my last post , and also Ageless Era topic been inactive since then. I have some lesser declarations I want to do.

XP decreases on many lv3 to lv4 made some endgame process bit easier in multiple games which sincerely is good, but it actually ruins Orocia balance as how we used to know it, now this specific map is considerably much easier after turn +36 than in older server versions.

In EOMA it's planned to be added some few Lv4 which I will not leak, but that will help making wave 40 in OrociaI be more close to what it used to be, as well at reviewing in 4.33 some lv4 balancing increasing XP values on certain units on lv3 to be higher to lv4 but as reward a stronger lv4 THIS with the ONLY purpose of bringing back some of previous Ageless Orocia difficulty at last waves.

Also I got a complaint about EOM - Vampires being too weak in Ageless from someone I really appreciate, so I'ma review ONCE AGAIN all Era of Myths balance as it's famous to have some of most weakest and less loved factions in whole Ageless Era.

I'm expecting to start working on EOM between today and saturday of my local time.

Ageless Great Wars is STILL a 4.33 version goal & project , so we will be viewing later how to implement that for early 1.18 wesnoth servers later (or not so early , depends in my motivation idk).

And other stuff to mention, I will regain motivation to start working in some few other projects in real soon, but that's not so relevant to mention it here.
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Ah reminds me I found a teeny "bug" in AE. A search found some units trying to use an old dwarven fighter portrait from Tristan Millner. Totally harmless I know but one could replace it with either the modern portrait or retrieve the old one like I did for an old era I'm working on now. The pic is on the forum here viewtopic.php?p=166973#p166973
The units are Lord, Steelclad and Fighter from the IE dwarves cavernei.

P.S. I'm finding more so maybe hang on until I've found them all... : )
This is a peasant portrait from Jason Lutes probably used by the Merc era slavers a1 worker unit.
viewtopic.php?p=80238#p80238

P.P.S. Did a search, that was all.
Last edited by Atreides on November 4th, 2023, 12:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

If you tell filename or era+unit I could check it.
IPS

Post by IPS »

Veredict about EOM review from quequo review about vampires "sucking".

I think I'm not increasing any stats in EOM units , but INSTEAD, I will make them level up faster to lv3 , so they can suck bit less. So EOM will have barely mediocre units (excluding windsongs, which are EOM's master piece) but really cheap in XP's to lv3. So for the future of EOM there will be some lots of XP buffs instead of unit stats increases, so players using them will struggle less when using EOM factions.

So tomrorow I'm readjusting EOM XP's in AE github.

THIS POST WILL BE EDITED with the EOM changes done to avoid double posting.
SpitOnIt

Post by SpitOnIt »

This is an edit of my first post:

Ageless era - reign of the lords bug
Was not working properly with default factions when I advanced them... until it started working.

Not sure what happened.

Reinstall ageless era if this happens too you I guess.

Update, the only way to get reign of the lords too work with sxc installed and ageless(which will disable it somehow, for all modes I found) is too delete ageless(just the mp not the resources) start a game with RotL mod enabled, quit that game, and then reinstall ageless and don't touch anything. Worked for me. Not sure the problem. Apparently it's sxc. Could also be wesnoth...
Last edited by SpitOnIt on November 25th, 2023, 2:03 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

I think you misunderstand what https://github.com/ProditorMagnus/Agele ... ce.cfg#L40 does. It registers some events used by ageless units, and tells wesnoth that these units exist and can be used by scenario, but itself does not change any units.

About era selection it is up to SXCollection to adjust ./macros/SXCmacros.cfg: allow_era="Ageless Era,Ageless Heroes,Ageless RPG Era,Ageless Union,DefaultAgeless Union,Default Union". I added [modification] which tells wesnoth that ageless is installed exactly for such case, so that line should be changed to force_modification="AE_units_loader". Reported viewtopic.php?p=684866#p684866

Ageless does not replace default units unless you are talking about EE factions where it is done to add different advancements for them. Also by default random faction in ageless eras excludes default factions, you only get them if you intentionally pick them. But if you pick them, its just default units, no ageless advancements. https://github.com/ProditorMagnus/Agele ... lt-BFW.cfg is copied from default, no ageless units there.
SpitOnIt

Post by SpitOnIt »

I'm not sure if you just fixed it or if it was a bug on my computers side of things... I un-installed and reinstalled ageless era countless times. This last time I reinstalled ageless era too prove you wrong, and everything worked normally

Sorry too trouble you I thought I was being thorough.

Edit: after a few hours of fiddling, i think I found my solution. When ageless units mod is checkboxed. It does 2 things. It links the RotL and ageless units modifications together, possibly breaking at least the RotL. Secondly the other option it seems when AUmod uses the copied default files for default units from the ageless units modification, it breaks RotL for those units. This could be a because of the button glitch that happens and it's a wesnoth thing, or it could be an ageless thing.

Spawned in default units work with RotL even if the AUMod is active and the two are linked, but copied default units stop working, forever. And don't revert too working once it's disabled because the two buttons are linked and activate together.

What I tested. With SXC, Ageless and RotL installed together
Nothing checked. - > start sxc map - > check RotLmod - > force checks AUMod. Result: RotL permanently broken
SXC and RotL installed together
Check RotL - > default era - > start game. works - > install ageless without touching modifications checked - > check AUMod - > any default or ageless era besides RotL - >start game. Works - > exit. uncheck and recheck RotLmod -> breaks RotL for all eras including default except spawned in debug default units.

What seems like is happening is the BFW units in ageless don't turn off when AUmod is unchecked while SXC is installed or they are modified somehow from that point forward.
Last edited by SpitOnIt on November 25th, 2023, 2:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
SpitOnIt

Post by SpitOnIt »

Ravana wrote: November 25th, 2023, 12:37 pm I think you misunderstand what https://github.com/ProditorMagnus/Agele ... ce.cfg#L40 does. It registers some events used by ageless units, and tells wesnoth that these units exist and can be used by scenario, but itself does not change any units.

About era selection it is up to SXCollection to adjust ./macros/SXCmacros.cfg: allow_era="Ageless Era,Ageless Heroes,Ageless RPG Era,Ageless Union,DefaultAgeless Union,Default Union". I added [modification] which tells wesnoth that ageless is installed exactly for such case, so that line should be changed to force_modification="AE_units_loader". Reported viewtopic.php?p=684866#p684866

Ageless does not replace default units unless you are talking about EE factions where it is done to add different advancements for them. Also by default random faction in ageless eras excludes default factions, you only get them if you intentionally pick them. But if you pick them, its just default units, no ageless advancements. https://github.com/ProditorMagnus/Agele ... lt-BFW.cfg is copied from default, no ageless units there.
Posted an update. This could very well not be a problem for you guys too resolve but I figured I'd post it. The fix is in my 1st comment and the process in the second.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Please provide your log file. What you describe feels like what happens when addons have id conflicts.
needmoreplayers

unsolved

Post by needmoreplayers »

if i were to one day put together a curated list of fractions/classes
lets call it 'highly curated list of wesnoth custom fractions/classes'

unanswered:
would that be simple enough and easy to do ?
or would that be alot (more) things to learn and do compared to the other wesnoth addon/coding goals i may or may not get done over time

unanswered:
would i have to update this new set of fractions/classes every time, like every week or month to get all or any updates of the fractions/classes that others have made, is that coding (as how coding currently is) is done?

need to know lots of code to do auto update:

or is there a way for everything to auto-update by itself (ie. have all curated fractions/classes auto-update into the new set of fractions/classes by itself)

unanswered:
for example for 'era of magic', ageless is using an old version of era of magic until it gets updated, is that how this addon/coding thing in games works?

unanswered:
info on addon page for this addon doesnt have that info

unanswered:
or is there alot of coding related things to do to prevent various bugs problems and conflicts between different fractions/classes made by others? in order to have a refined list of fractions/classes like how regular games and game design do it
Last edited by needmoreplayers on December 24th, 2023, 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IPS

Post by IPS »

Consdering that EOMA been getting a lot of buffs recently (even in abused units like UM and in CYCLOPS NOBLES...), it might be a must to increase Ageless units stats & standards just a bit to keep fariness for anyone who experiences and uses any non EOMA faction and decrease just a bit the hatred that a minority have over EOMA units/factions because of being stronger than average Ageless.

Sadly this change will keep more distant from the very original stats that certain units had when released but to keep a better unviersal balance that had to happen... specially with important buffs that made the ORIGINALLY unplayable (Devlins, EOM vampires, BEEM facions in overall & Original Yokais) were terrible factions before I altered them for Ageless (Check original Yokais stats in WAR OF THE GODS, they sux hard LOL) , while some others been massively nerfed because I had to (Welkins & Brungars damage were INSANE pre nerf...) as of many MERCENARIES era units/factions that authors intentionally made them to be a lot stronger than default to force people use them instead of default.

And exceptions like ARCHAIC and deep because Ageless versions differs real lot from original ones because of strong reasons. About deep elves I want to say that they had important leaks in damage type diversity (only blade/arcane) spam in case of original deep elves while no ressistances variations between units (for example Loys have calvarymen, HI's, swordsmen/pikemen) it's why I say this).

Other certain cases that I think it's not needed to mention , but if analyzed it's blatant.

Will just drop just a lil away Ageless from default balance parameters for Ageless to provide a more fair and diverse experience while using Ageless in 1.18 servers as soon as it comes. So expect everything be bit stronger or more confortable to use in almost any other faction , because if units gain no stats or ressistances bonuses they will level up fater like I will do with Era of Myths changes that I did not apply yet.

So in this christmas days appart of finally (and really) add Era of Myths XP decreases on various of their units will also review ONCE again a lot of factions in all Ageless.

Lastly I'ma check lv4 balancing because orocia difficulty in last wave been decreased real hard because of a lot of XP decreases amont a lot of units in Ageless while turn 40 wave in Ageless is a lot easier than earlier waves, so I will be thinking how to make turn 40 wave be a challenge in orocia by reviewing a lot of lv4's.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Part of level 4 issue is that mage kind of units are far stronger than nonmage as level 4. This especially applies to leadership types.

Though last wave is not supposed to be super hard anyways, it is for some relaxing cleanup after surviving 36 and 38.
IPS

Post by IPS »

Hello overthere! after having a significant activity decrease during winter season in 2024's, I'm back with some news and leaks about some upcoming plans for Ageless in the next release 4.32 , but talking about the re-balance aspect.

As we've seen, recently a lot of EOMA secret attackers and many other EOMA units been significantly buffed. So to perserve all Ageless Era ecosystem more fairly, it's expected that a lot of units will be buffed in Ageless Side, specially in factions and units that are leaking a real lot compared to a lot of other Ageless options.

Talking about secret attack type once again... I will have to mention that few old/already existing units WILL have BONUS secret attacks (not so many, but SOME) , so this can help certain factions to be more popular choices and also , helping significantly to random faction pickers which is a good and important part of the community towards ageless. Not only secret attackers, certain specific units will also be ressistant to Secret attack damages... allowing people have more options to deal with secret damage type that is very often seen in EOMA and only in one Altaris unit...

This line must concern to scenario and map makers, but the addition of more non EOMA secret attackers will also help againist over-buffed specific scenario bosses as of Scrolling Surival OR Arena Survivals, allowing more factions and randomly generated recruit mod players can often defeat this +40% on all ressists sub-bosses from 2 mentioned scenarios.

Default cannot be saved, EOMA buffs been that strong that Ageless can no longer keep a pattern that tried to be somewhat close of default standards, but if you ask me, todays more people plays Ageless Era using EOMA factions than people who plays default factions using Ageless Era, which also, allows players to pick default as a type of "Challenge / Skill Proof" archiviement and making any victory using default considerably lot more valuable compared if using a lot of other factions.

So the list of balance changes that IS planned for 4.32 is even larger and uncertain because I didn't analyze yet every unit included in Ageless Era, also expect that units like Attack Dog will also be nerfed once again because to be honest, that lv1 causes more trouble than many lv3 units :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Said this, I will post more details of decisions I made concerning to balancing in Q1 of this year, and I will try to make things ready the earliest possible, particularly AFTER this sunday. So in soon, I will maintain you updated!

Also for players, don't blame if almost every ageless faction is stronger than default, just pick scenarios according to the Era you're trying to use. And accept responsability about your decisions if starting with dissadventage because you wanted to or if by having a bad roll using random.... still remaking in turn 1-3 is still an option if you want a fairer game with your rival opponent or if you don't feel skilled enough to defeat certain scenario if using certain faction.