1.12 SP Campaign, Fate of a Princess (& Northern Forces)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Simons Mith

Re: 1.12 SP Campaign, Fate of a Princess (& Northern Forces)

Post by Simons Mith »

I have a hunch that I'm not going to get much feedback on this till after I've tried updating it.
But I'm not going to have much time or inclination to try multiple iterations.

Is there anyone experienced in balancing late-campaign scenarios whose brains I can pick?

I was considering replacing many of the undead with mundane mind-controlled thralls. Second
and third level chaotic humans - bandits and the like. Dial back the number of undead but keep
a few of the big guys as boss monsters. That's fairer, I think. But can I just substitute unit for unit
reasonably safely? I don't know what pitfalls to look out for here.

Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I was considering replacing many of the undead with mundane mind-controlled thralls. Second
and third level chaotic humans - bandits and the like. Dial back the number of undead but keep
a few of the big guys as boss monsters. That's fairer, I think. But can I just substitute unit for unit
Unless you make typos in the unit ID's, it's safe. However, the existing balance of the scenario difficulty will be thrown in the trash if done so. You would need to playtest it to ensure the change does not alter the difficulty too much. Normally, having outlaws instead of undead makes it more easier, you'd have to buff the enemy sides a bit or nerf the player side(s). Again, you'd need to playtest a lot to reach a satisfactory balance.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Simons Mith wrote: August 6th, 2021, 8:44 pm I have a hunch that I'm not going to get much feedback on this till after I've tried updating it.
But I'm not going to have much time or inclination to try multiple iterations.
This answer is a bit belated, but is it just me or is FoaP not available for BfW 1.14?

(it might be for 1.16 which has just come out and I haven't installed yet)
Is there anyone experienced in balancing late-campaign scenarios whose brains I can pick?

The thing is that undead and humans have different vulnerabilities.

Humans are usually resistant to arcane attacks and unaffected by impact attacks (except Footpads and their upgrades) but undead, especially skeletons, are terribly vulnerable to arcane and impact attacks which any Shaman and her upgrades, which the elvish army of FoaP should have in abundance. Also the cold-based attacks of the Snow Fairies would be much more effective against humans than undead.

Further, there is the issue of movement. Undead and humans have different movement points and costs and some undead can submerge or overfly deep water while humans usually cannot.

:D
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: 1.16 SP Campaign, Fate of a Princess (& Northern Forces)

Post by Konrad2 »

FoaP
S1
oppresive -> oppressive
Ishlars and Jil lack the silver crown.

S2
18,13 is a village with an enemy unit on it. But the village is somehow still ownerless.

S3
This message shows up every turn.
wildfire.png
S3b
on their own -> of their own

When 'Galen' (one the loyal horsemen) dies, my Heavy Infantry 'Veomyr' dies too. Without any explanation.

S9
Dessen is missing a silver crown.
After
Spoiler:
, he loses his ellipses.

S10
Alingwen and Eämeral: silver crown
They are both renameable. I'd guess this goes for every other 'named' unit as well, if they are not the leader. That's a bad thingTM.

S11
Zylvia: silver crown

S17
Merllow is still listed as a unit that's not allowed to die, but his death doesn't cause a defeat.
I think the turn limit it way too tight for the amount of gold/income the enemy has.
You start mostly without any veterans that are useful here, and only 2 healers. one of them only healing 4hp until you give them enough xp.

S19
Merllow is still listed as a unit that's not allowed to die, but his death doesn't cause a defeat.

S20:
Ameck: silver crown
Merllow again.

S21
The campfires in this scenario provide no light.

S22
Vladnir: renameable

S22b
Ghidsaurs: silver crown + renameable

S25
Eämeral: silver crown
Attachments
FoaP-Mountain Path Turn 27.gz
Not enough time.
(99.49 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: 1.16 SP Northern Forces

Post by Konrad2 »

It would be reaaaaally nice if one could turn off the trait selection. I just want to recruit. D:

There are sometimes weird linebreaks in the story text or dialogues.

S2
Somehow the 'loyal' units of side 2 demand upkeep. And they respawn after being killed?

S3
pasted -> passed
more than 200 -> more than 200 years

S4
have slaved -> have enslaved
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

What version of Wesnoth are you playing it on, Konrad2? That screenshot definitely doesn't look like BfW 1.12. ;)
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Sadaharu wrote: April 26th, 2022, 11:44 pm What version of Wesnoth are you playing it on, Konrad2? That screenshot definitely doesn't look like BfW 1.12. ;)
1.16, just like my post subjects say.
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Ohhhh! Since the threa title still reads 1.12 I never thought to check individual posts.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: 1.16 SP Campaign, Northern Forces

Post by Konrad2 »

I love how the lord is just declared dead like that. :D
Attachments
lol.png