Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
11%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 244

dwarftough

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by dwarftough »

I think "Kill the King" is kinda spin-off too
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Developer and maintainer of my fork of World Conquest, Invincibles Conquest II
grumpy3

Post by grumpy3 »

hello recently updated Battle for wesnoth including the updated LOTI campaign, reached the scenario in the magic mirror, at the end of which you have been defeated and can not progress further
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

grumpy3 wrote: February 23rd, 2024, 2:28 pm hello recently updated Battle for wesnoth including the updated LOTI campaign, reached the scenario in the magic mirror, at the end of which you have been defeated and can not progress further
Can you post a saved game? Maybe on from Forest of Witchery as well.
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
ALdbeign

Post by ALdbeign »

Hello, my apologies if this is the wrong place to post this:
The following add-on had errors and could not be loaded:
/home/aldbeign/.config/wesnoth-1.16/data/add-ons/LotI_Advancements_SP/_main.cfg

Please report this to the author or maintainer of this add-on.

Details:

Found invalid closing tag [/units] for tag [unit_type]
opened at ~add-ons/Legend_of_the_Invincibles/utils/amla.cfg:68
included from ~add-ons/LotI_Advancements_SP/_main.cfg:15
included from ~add-ons/LotI_Advancements_SP/campaigns/rise_of_wesnoth/units/Wesfolk_Shadowprincess.cfg:220
included from ~add-ons/LotI_Advancements_SP/campaigns/rise_of_wesnoth/trow_compat.cfg:31
included from ~add-ons/LotI_Advancements_SP/campaign_compat.cfg:14
included from ~add-ons/LotI_Advancements_SP/_main.cfg:20
closed at ~add-ons/LotI_Advancements_SP/campaigns/rise_of_wesnoth/trow_compat.cfg:32
included from ~add-ons/LotI_Advancements_SP/campaign_compat.cfg:14
included from ~add-ons/LotI_Advancements_SP/_main.cfg:20
Here is my info:
The Battle for Wesnoth version 1.16.2 x86_64
Running on Linux Mint 21.2 x86_64
Distribution channel: Linux repository

Game paths
==========

Data dir: /usr/share/games/wesnoth/1.16
User config dir: /home/USER/.config/wesnoth-1.16
User data dir: /home/USER/.config/wesnoth-1.16
Saves dir: /home/USER/.config/wesnoth-1.16/saves
Add-ons dir: /home/USER/.config/wesnoth-1.16/data/add-ons
Cache dir: /home/USER/.config/wesnoth-1.16/cache

Libraries
=========

Boost: 1.74
Lua: 5.4.2
OpenSSL/libcrypto: 3.0.0a-dev (runtime 3.0.0b-dev)
Cairo: 1.16.0 (runtime 1.16.0)
Pango: 1.50.3 (runtime 1.50.6)
SDL: 2.0.20 (runtime 2.0.20)
SDL_image: 2.0.5 (runtime 2.0.5)
SDL_mixer: 2.0.4 (runtime 2.0.4)

Features
========

Lua console completion: yes
D-Bus notifications back end: yes

Current video settings
======================

SDL video drivers: [x11] wayland KMSDRM dummy
Window size: 2560x1048
Screen refresh rate: 60
Screen dots per inch: 96.000000x96.000000
Screen dpi scale factor: 1.000000x1.000000

Current audio settings
======================

SDL audio drivers: [pulseaudio] alsa sndio pipewire
Number of channels: 2
Output rate: 44100 Hz
Sample format: signed 16 bit little-endian
Sample size: 1024 bytes

Installed add-ons
=================

ASanguineTale: 3.0.0.3
A_Fiery_Birth: 1.3.0
A_Group_in_a_War: 0.2.1k
A_Magicians_Tale: 3.16.9
A_New_Order: 1.6.0
Across_the_Ocean: 0.5.3-2
Affably_Evil: 1.0.0h
After_the_Storm: 0.10.18.1
Ageless_Era: 4.32.0
Ageless_Resources: 4.28.0
Akladian_Music: 1.0.1
AtS_Music: 0.3.2
Cities_of_the_Frontier: 0.7.1
Desert_Map-Pack: 17.22.5a
Eastern_Europe_at_War: 3.0.0
Elvish_Dynasty: 0.1.2.1.165.2
Era_of_Legends: 1.2.10
Era_of_Magic: 4.6.2
Era_of_Magic_Resources: 2.6.0
Fate_of_a_Princess: 1.5.0-4
Genesis: 0.2.12
Genesis_Resources: 0.0.9
Halfelven: 17.22.5a
IftU_Music: 0.3.2
Invasion_from_the_Unknown: 2.1.13.1
Invincibles_Conquest_II: 1.1.0
Irdya_Dragon: 0.0.2
Karatan: 0.2.7
Kill_the_King: 1.0.0c
LA_MP_Pack: 0.4.8b
LA_RPG_Resources: 1.0.1
Legend_of_the_Invincibles: 3.2.7d
LotI_Advancements_SP: 1.2.1
Random_Campaign: 1.4.1
Reign_of_the_Lords: 9.2.10
Reign_of_the_Lords_Portraits: 1.2.0
Saving_Elensefar: 2.3.2
Tamanegi_Jukebox: 0.1.8d
The_Altaz_Mariners: 3.6.0
The_Beautiful_Child: 1.0.1f
The_Earths_Gut: 0.6.0
The_Garardine_Ascendancy: 3.1.2
The_Sojournings_of_Grog: 3.6.1
To_Lands_Unknown: 3.9.0
To_Lands_Unknown_Resources_1: 2.3.0
To_Lands_Unknown_Resources_2: 2.3.0
Tunnel_Wars: 17.22.5b
UMC_Music_Book_01: 1.0.2
Ultimate_Random_Maps: 1.4.1
Voyage_of_a_Drake: 1.1.0
War_Plan_Scarlet: 17.22.5e
War_of_Legends: 1.2.7.31
WoL_mods: 1.0.2
XP_Bank: 1.6.0
XP_Modification: 2.4.0
I'm not on the forum much but i am on discord (same name)
Thanks!
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

ALdbeign wrote: February 25th, 2024, 9:06 pm ...
LotI has recently updated, LotI mods have to update as well. For this particular mod (LotI_Advancements_SP) I don't know the maintainer
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
white_haired_uncle

ALdbeign wrote: February 25th, 2024, 9:06 pm Hello, my apologies if this is the wrong place to post this:
I'd try viewtopic.php?t=53867
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

white_haired_uncle wrote: February 25th, 2024, 9:57 pm
ALdbeign wrote: February 25th, 2024, 9:06 pm Hello, my apologies if this is the wrong place to post this:
It's not my addon, he's referring to the addon called "Legend of the Invincibles Units in Mainline Campaign" made by someone called xhh2a. He didn't leave a forum topic link to contact him about this addon.
ALdbeign

Post by ALdbeign »

dwarftough wrote: February 25th, 2024, 10:25 pm
white_haired_uncle wrote: February 25th, 2024, 9:57 pm
It's not my addon, he's referring to the addon called "Legend of the Invincibles Units in Mainline Campaign" made by someone called xhh2a. He didn't leave a forum topic link to contact him about this addon.
Hi, sorry but i didn't catch that this wasn't LotI but something else based off it. i started getting this immediately after i updated LotI (earlier today). I'll just disable that other one, thanks!
white_haired_uncle

grumpy3 wrote: February 23rd, 2024, 2:28 pm hello recently updated Battle for wesnoth including the updated LOTI campaign, reached the scenario in the magic mirror, at the end of which you have been defeated and can not progress further
LotI has not been updated for 1.17. Either load the scenario start file in 1.16, or remove lines 722 and 724 from

scenarios2/03s_In_the_Magical_Mirror.cfg
masterpace

Post by masterpace »

So I've decided to take on the itemless challenge on part 2 of the campaign, easy mode. I want to say it really changed my view of the game and made me value abilities I normally consider worthless. Take for example this celestial messenger
Celestial Messenger.png
With his 21% cold penetration. On his own his damage may not seem like a lot, but with a duke and sometimes a faerie incarnation he can easily deal over 37*6 cold damage which is definitely decent. Faerie incarnations with dragon legacies are also very strong and their explosive damage can be deadly.
However, if you want to benefit most from dragon legacies, snow hunters are your friends. That's because legacy attacks have a set amount of damage independent of level, and level 2 snow hunters benefit from leadership much more than anybody else.
Snow hunter.png
Moving aside from dragon legacies, legacy of the free is also extremely strong, especially in chapter 8. Hit and run used on an enemy without a ranged attack often means a free kill against imps/horseriders/heavy infantrymen. Or you can be like me and use a LotF shadow prince to keep pushing enemies back while keeping the prince safe. There's also the combo of explosive slow (ancient lich) followed by shockwave which can delay the enemies almost indefinitely, extremely useful in jungle hell.
Shadow prince.png
Don't let his low damage fool you. He has 11 movement points, 73/79 defence on flat/castle terrain, hit and run, and impact penetration.
I'm also starting to appreciate the legacy of kings and shield abilities which I never found necessary until now, where every point of defence counts. Heck, even incineration (of chaos riders) found a way to be useful.

What really hurts though, is Efraim's inability to kill anything except through redeem. His attacks are just too weak and scale too slowly without items, compared to Lethalia's slowing, poisoning, draining gossamer. Efraim's negative resistance to physical damage makes measly imps deal upwards of 16*4 to him which isn't fun. Still, this challenge is the only one where I found myself actually utilizing terrain and playing passively instead of blasting through everything.
I have reached inferno and defeated a single seal guardian so far, but I have no idea how I'm going to beat Lilith in foul pits. Any suggestions are appreciated.
white_haired_uncle

The animations for Northfrost Aura and that thing that happens after turn 12 or so in chapter 9 annoy me. Also, I don't really need to see the map every time I change scenarios in ch5/9.

I created a LotI preferences menu, but with only these few examples I don't think it's worth putting much effort into. Are there things you would like to be able to adjust? I'm not looking to change anything about the gameplay, just the way the player experiences it.

BTW, that thing in chapter 9 I mentioned: It doesn't show up in the preferences until you encounter it for the first time (no spoilers). If you use spoiler tags in your suggestion(s), I'll assume those items should also be "protected".
masterpace wrote: March 8th, 2024, 10:46 pm I have no idea how I'm going to beat Lilith in foul pits. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Just recently, I've decided that grypon riders are one of the most valuable units in the game.
Spoiler:
Aslagon

Post by Aslagon »

Hey guys! Any idea if the campaign is going to be ported to 1.18? If so, is there any expected date of release?
white_haired_uncle

Aslagon wrote: April 6th, 2024, 11:59 pm Hey guys! Any idea if the campaign is going to be ported to 1.18? If so, is there any expected date of release?
I've played the development version on 1.18 (actually 1.17 and 1.19). Other than some missing images during combat against certain unit types (just barely a minor annoyance), I didn't have a problem.

There was one show stopper, which is now fixed. I do not know if it is included in the stable version or not, but you should be fine playing the beta version for 1.16. And if you do run into an issue I didn't encounter it can be fixed.

I don't know of an expected release of stable for 1.18, but I can say that active development is now focused on 1.18.
masterpace

Post by masterpace »

Expanding on my item-less run:
For whatever reason the portals in foul pits stopped spawning enemies, which meant that I only had to deal with Lilith's recruits. Ran a very quick celestial messenger to discover her keep, sent several others with him, including Efraim. This meant splitting my army and thus splitting the enemies as well. Surrounded her on turn 17, with the only remaining threat being blood rain.

With a bunch of fire dragons and conviction, the witch quickly fell.
Dead.png
I would say this was the hardest part of the entire campaign. Seal guardians were an easy kill, Pandemonium is easy to storm if you decide to kill the enemy leaders on the peripheral locations. Dealing with the pillar is not a problem, as long as you have a few quick runners that can escape Gathering Alcove (there's no way to kill Romero and about 20 strong demons, you can only delay them).
Uria's fight is 90% preparation and 10% savescumming. If you wish to even stand a chance at that fight, you have to eliminate Abbadon, steelhive, and find a way to kill 3 demon lords in one go.
Abbadon was by far the easiest of them:
Abbadon.png
I struggled to find Steelhive and somehow convinced myself to actually use the passage of detriment, here's what it looked like:
Detriment.png
I can't really say I regret it, did you know there are enemies to fight in that labyrinth?
As for the demon lords, I figured that the simplest way to handle them is redemption. That's right, I got both E and L's redeem levels to 17 (for reference, going from 16 to 17 alone requires 369 redeems, a herbivorous diet really helped them out). At that point, each hit had a 10% chance to redeem a level 20 demon lord, in comes the power of save-scum-till-it-works.
preredeem.png
postredeem.png
Pay attention to the duke's push ability allowing me to situate all units away from the deadly leader. Not only is she a merciless killer, she does not begin to summon burning souls until she attacks a unit. By cleverly positioning my units and hitting her with the strongest units I have, I can guarantee that she transitions between phases without ever summoning anything!
lunatic.png
Ironically, my lowest damage unit is the one to finish her. Never underestimate the power of mobility! I had many other strong units longing to spill blood, but none of them was close enough.

Overall, this was quite a challenge. It really made me play in ways I had never thought of before. Who would have thought that 90% of the damage Uria took was from 3 lunatic knights, units often considered so terrible that many of you may not even know they exist. Leadership, illumination, legacy of kings and a good legacy are all it takes to turn a unit into a boss shredder!
white_haired_uncle

Very impressive.

How was chapter 10?