Amorphous's Pixel Art

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Amorphous

Re: Amorphous's Pixel Art

Post by Amorphous »

Alright, need some opinions, Wesnothers.

Still working on this wild mage line, getting closed to finishing most of them, with two old drafts sitting there at the bottom. But I'm starting to think I need a transition level after level 2 for the armored branch. Then will the non-armored line be weird/sad just having three levels? Decisions decisions...
Attachments
wildmages-wip-again.png
wildmages-wip-again.png (24.55 KiB) Viewed 7770 times
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Amorphous wrote: May 17th, 2023, 8:45 pm Then will the non-armored line be weird/sad just having three levels?
No, not necessarily. In general, it is expected that different units may have different maximum levels. "The developers feel that an uneven advancement tree is more dynamic and interesting."

Of course, it depends on the unit's statistics. Probably you would want to give the non-armored unit some sort of advantage that the alternate advancement does not have (maybe even when it reaches level 4). As an example of this, consider the possible advancements for the Red Mage. When it reaches level 3, it can advance to a unit that can go all the way up to level 4, or it can advance to a unit that is capped at level 3 but has the teleport ability.
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

Thanks for the input, gnombat! Right you are that having unit branches that end at different levels isn't unusual -- and can be quite fun. I think I was more concerned about it from a visual standpoint, i.e., I felt that the last unit in each of the lines looked like they should be the same level, so making one a level 3 and the other a level 4 didn't seem ideal. In either case, a solution has been made with the intro of two draft level 3s, bumping up the old level 3s to level 4s. I had plans for one other branch off the level 1 of "gray mages" who would be less inherently sinister, but we'll see if/when I get to that.
Attachments
chaoscastersagain.png
chaoscastersagain.png (25.54 KiB) Viewed 7633 times
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

The non-armored level 3 seems a bit frail to me, as if he was an old man using his staff not to fall.
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

Hey Ilhybrideur, sorry for not responding sooner! Your comment is spot on and I totally missed it until you pointed it out. Will fix that the next time I'm working on these guys!

Until then, here's a bit of an update on the minotaur faction from before. Anyone got ideas for other units or branches I should add? Who would be their non-minotaur allies? Didn't get to sketching yet, but was thinking of breaking the charger into a pierce/charge line and an a impact/charge line (i.e. a battering ram haha).
Attachments
minotaurs.png
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

The minotaurs look incredibly impressive, especially the details on chieftain and guardian. Just wow.

Idk what direction you want to take this faction. If it's greek inspired, pegasi or harpies would work well for scouts. Or maybe centaurs.
Also Faun seem like good allies for minotaurs. Though the herablist already has a sling, which would have fitted a faun aesthetic. Reworking the head would work or adding a new unit like a skirmisher goatman?
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

Annual Wesnoth drop-in with some slow refinements on the chaos casters.
Vyncyn wrote: June 11th, 2023, 7:00 pm The minotaurs look incredibly impressive, especially the details on chieftain and guardian. Just wow.

Idk what direction you want to take this faction. If it's greek inspired, pegasi or harpies would work well for scouts. Or maybe centaurs.
Also Faun seem like good allies for minotaurs. Though the herablist already has a sling, which would have fitted a faun aesthetic. Reworking the head would work or adding a new unit like a skirmisher goatman?
Thanks for the kind words, Vyncyn! I really love these ideas too. If I draw more of the minotaurs in the next century, I'll see about adapting some of them. :)
Attachments
chaoscastersagain.png
chaoscastersagain.png (28.16 KiB) Viewed 3390 times
maksiu

Post by maksiu »

Beautiful graphics, I really like your style and look forward to your return to twitter. Graphics unique, I often use them as I think on my own draw, and if you send them in png format, I think many people will use them
My addons - Phoenix Era
Straff

Post by Straff »

Amazing pixel-art, just wow!
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

Thanks maksiu, thanks Straff! 🙏