The Dark Master

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Rendy55

Re: The Dark Master

Post by Rendy55 »

ThaneManefriend wrote: July 26th, 2022, 5:14 pm In the Escape scenario (part 1 scenario 3), the exit isn't working. Is there a specific unit I have to move into it, am I not supposed to kill the elvish leader, do I have the wrong exit, or is it just a bug?

Screenshot of the game is attached, edited only to circle the space I presume to be the exit:
2022-07-26.png
How you got that wyvern hero and more elves heroes?
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Rendy55 wrote: December 14th, 2022, 7:30 am I mean lua error appearing randomly
Maybe my mod can't make dead body for gate.
Strange after loading lua error never shows again
It seems that it is the case (the mod)
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Rendy55 wrote: December 14th, 2022, 7:53 am
ThaneManefriend wrote: July 26th, 2022, 5:14 pm In the Escape scenario (part 1 scenario 3), the exit isn't working. Is there a specific unit I have to move into it, am I not supposed to kill the elvish leader, do I have the wrong exit, or is it just a bug?

Screenshot of the game is attached, edited only to circle the space I presume to be the exit:
2022-07-26.png
How you got that wyvern hero and more elves heroes?
The Dark Master is core campaign of TDM Project. If you finished some campaigns, you get the hero transfered to this campaign (sometimes also with a friend , sometimes the enemy himself)...
I don't want to tell you about the Wyvern bcz it will be a big spoiler but check the menu of walk-through and Easter eggs of each scenario, that can help sometimes
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

The Dark Master campaign is included in the "The Dark Master Project beta" (version 1.0.1) and since that it will not be maintained as a dependent campaign and will be soon removed from the server
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Well, after the update, I found a little bug and I hope it is not annoying. After Argan attacks Zhangor, the side bare shows that the union attack have 0 damage when I pass the cursor while it is actually 130 (just in inactive state ). It will not affect the gameplay but I will try to fix it later
krg

Post by krg »

Might be related to above - there seems to be a bug in the union attack handling in "Donjon of Evil Level one" that makes it impossible to use union/defeat the final daemon - 'Dlord' had an attack_filter excluding name="Union" (healing back to 100% for any other weapons) while the weapon is called "union" and that seems to be a case sensitive check - so all union strikes still result in self healing/0 damage.
If I change name="Union" => name="union" in the save file, it seems to start letting union strikes through
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

krg wrote: December 14th, 2023, 3:35 pm Might be related to above - there seems to be a bug in the union attack handling in "Donjon of Evil Level one" that makes it impossible to use union/defeat the final daemon - 'Dlord' had an attack_filter excluding name="Union" (healing back to 100% for any other weapons) while the weapon is called "union" and that seems to be a case sensitive check - so all union strikes still result in self healing/0 damage.
If I change name="Union" => name="union" in the save file, it seems to start letting union strikes through
Thank you very much for this nice catch. 😊 I will not be able to upload a new update for now but I will fix it as soon as possible.
I am awaiting for more comments about your experience with the addon's pack and for any other possible bug you may encountered
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

krg wrote: December 14th, 2023, 3:35 pm Might be related to above - there seems to be a bug in the union attack handling in "Donjon of Evil Level one" that makes it impossible to use union/defeat the final daemon - 'Dlord' had an attack_filter excluding name="Union" (healing back to 100% for any other weapons) while the weapon is called "union" and that seems to be a case sensitive check - so all union strikes still result in self healing/0 damage.
By the way, i forget to ask. did you downloaded the addon separately before the merging with the pack or as part of the pack?
krg

Post by krg »

hermestrismi wrote: December 14th, 2023, 6:14 pm By the way, i forget to ask. did you downloaded the addon separately before the merging with the pack or as part of the pack?
not sure what merging you are referring to - I got everything by installing "The dark master project..." campaign (now at 1.0.3j) from the addon server

few more sticking points I recall from gameplay (can't remember the exact addon version when playing them - probably a little older than 103j):
- in the first 'The Cave of Magic' (scenarios_P03\path_07.cfg) - Puldorus was constantly getting killed pretty much after the first few turns, so I had to cheat and look up his location and send all the units straight across the map to save him, not stopping for any other fights - this was probably not intended, looks like a disbalance

- disbalance in The Ruby of Fire - constantly losing in the first few turns because of various allied leaders getting killed (daemonic elves are super strong compared to others), then trying to protect them, but then it becomes impossible as Querkrath goes rogue and then quickly gets killed by a combo of former allies/enemies, and I couldn't really stop that.
And all of that obviously not leaving enough time to look for the hidden exit - so I had to cheat again and look it up on the map, and then send a unit straight there - I could not make this level last more than 7 turns (without someone else getting killed) no matter what I tried.

- something weird in "08 Defending the Portal" - it's limited to 20 turns, but this limit only allows to visit every Control Spire (of three) with Adon and strike each once or twice (as no other unit could strike them without getting instantly killed in return). But each spire has health of 500 and hits back hard (64) with noctum, so would take ages to heal after that and repeat strikes - so either the turn limit needs to increase a lot, spires' health to go down a lot, noctum power go down, or maybe I missed something in the gameplay that would allow me to destroy them quickly. So I cheated and changed their health to 100 to play it, keeping everything else the same.

but occasional issues aside, it's a great campaign - thanks a lot for your efforts!
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

krg wrote: December 14th, 2023, 10:52 pm
hermestrismi wrote: December 14th, 2023, 6:14 pm By the way, i forget to ask. did you downloaded the addon separately before the merging with the pack or as part of the pack?
not sure what merging you are referring to - I got everything by installing "The dark master project..." campaign (now at 1.0.3j) from the addon server

few more sticking points I recall from gameplay (can't remember the exact addon version when playing them - probably a little older than 103j):
- in the first 'The Cave of Magic' (scenarios_P03\path_07.cfg) - Puldorus was constantly getting killed pretty much after the first few turns, so I had to cheat and look up his location and send all the units straight across the map to save him, not stopping for any other fights - this was probably not intended, looks like a disbalance

- disbalance in The Ruby of Fire - constantly losing in the first few turns because of various allied leaders getting killed (daemonic elves are super strong compared to others), then trying to protect them, but then it becomes impossible as Querkrath goes rogue and then quickly gets killed by a combo of former allies/enemies, and I couldn't really stop that.
And all of that obviously not leaving enough time to look for the hidden exit - so I had to cheat again and look it up on the map, and then send a unit straight there - I could not make this level last more than 7 turns (without someone else getting killed) no matter what I tried.

- something weird in "08 Defending the Portal" - it's limited to 20 turns, but this limit only allows to visit every Control Spire (of three) with Adon and strike each once or twice (as no other unit could strike them without getting instantly killed in return). But each spire has health of 500 and hits back hard (64) with noctum, so would take ages to heal after that and repeat strikes - so either the turn limit needs to increase a lot, spires' health to go down a lot, noctum power go down, or maybe I missed something in the gameplay that would allow me to destroy them quickly. So I cheated and changed their health to 100 to play it, keeping everything else the same.

but occasional issues aside, it's a great campaign - thanks a lot for your efforts!
Thank you very much for the constructive detailed response and I m happy that you enjoyed it.
Another question if you can.
Spoiler:
krg

Post by krg »

hermestrismi wrote: December 15th, 2023, 4:54 am Thank you very much for the constructive detailed response and I m happy that you enjoyed it.
Spoiler:
Nope, TDM only - I started with TDMch1 and making my way towards the end now (can't remember there being a side quest for it) - I might try it afterwards from the main menu.
The universe is great. But the story is unfortunately wasted on me - I mostly ignore it (I did follow it in LotI, so it's still somewhat familiar anyway)
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

krg wrote: December 16th, 2023, 1:05 am
hermestrismi wrote: December 15th, 2023, 4:54 am Thank you very much for the constructive detailed response and I m happy that you enjoyed it.
Spoiler:
Nope, TDM only - I started with TDMch1 and making my way towards the end now (can't remember there being a side quest for it) - I might try it afterwards from the main menu.
The universe is great. But the story is unfortunately wasted on me - I mostly ignore it (I did follow it in LotI, so it's still somewhat familiar anyway)
Thank you 😊
I updated the pack so that many hard scenarios will become easier.
the side quest are the other small campaigns. I advise you to begin with them
Spoiler:
krg

Post by krg »

A little note about TDH - there's a bug/typo in "07 Confrontation" - endlevel is currently inside the victory event, but should be above inside the 'moveto' for the signpost (just after the 'phew..' message, so it can actually generate that victory event when you step on it) - as is, the scenario doesnt end when reaching the signpost, it only prints the message.
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

krg wrote: December 19th, 2023, 9:34 pm A little note about TDH - there's a bug/typo in "07 Confrontation" - endlevel is currently inside the victory event, but should be above inside the 'moveto' for the signpost (just after the 'phew..' message, so it can actually generate that victory event when you step on it) - as is, the scenario doesnt end when reaching the signpost, it only prints the message.
good catch. thank you. I considered TDH as my most buggy campaign since I tried hard to keep balance between the original work and my modified version. I shall fix it as soon as possible.
edit: I fixed the typo. thank you again and again
krg

Post by krg »

There's a typo in RotL_02_04.cfg - remove_event at the end of the game incorrectly uses name=xxx rather than id=xxx, which prevents the level completion (script bails out with error just before generating endlevel)