The Dark Master Project

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

hermestrismi

Re: The Dark Master Project

Post by hermestrismi »

Version beta: new update 0.9.7
Two new campaigns (total 11 campaigns with almost 100 scenarios) with more races and improvements
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

The Dark Master Project Ressources Beta:
15 campaigns
Over 120 scenarios
A huge number of races, mechanisms, surprises...
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Is my campaigns' pack that bad?
I mean ... come oooon. I didn't expect one hundred comments but I didn't expect no comment either...
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

There's a #content-promo channel on Discord - you could try posting updates to there as well.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Pentarctagon wrote: November 15th, 2023, 7:09 pm There's a #content-promo channel on Discord - you could try posting updates to there as well.
Thank you (and thanks for all the work you are doing).
I don't want to make publicity (I am not good at that either). I am just wondering if my project (my TDM fictif universe) is really that bad or I missed something very important that made people not interested in playing and giving fed back.
After all, there is only some hundred uploads (so I imagine only 500 wesnothian at max played all of them)
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Probably a lot of it is just that Wesnoth has a small community/playerbase, so there's not a ton of people giving feedback just generally. #content-promo posts don't need to be anything fancy either - some people just post updates with a changelog of things since the last update.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Pentarctagon wrote: November 15th, 2023, 8:54 pm Probably a lot of it is just that Wesnoth has a small community/playerbase, so there's not a ton of people giving feedback just generally. #content-promo posts don't need to be anything fancy either - some people just post updates with a changelog of things since the last update.
Understood ^_^
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Update
Version 0.9.10
A minor bug fixing for the bloodlust ability,
Ameliorate some animations,
Fixing the recruit list for Elynia and Argan,
Fixing the introduction story map of chapter 7
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Update
Version beta 1.0.2
A new campaign: War-Torn: Book02
New races introduced: Vampires (from era of myths), Kedari (from BfW1.2 and feudal era), Kuandigin and Nisyan (from faehan era)...
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

hermestrismi wrote: November 15th, 2023, 6:35 pm Is my campaigns' pack that bad?
I mean ... come oooon. I didn't expect one hundred comments but I didn't expect no comment either...
Well, maybe they don't know what to install?

I'm looking for the aforementioned 15 campaigns. Let's see what's in the add-on client:

1) The Dark Master (sounds like a single campaign?)
2) TDM music beta (not interested in music, but this throws up an error about being outdated when I install something else
3) TDM resources (probably not what I need, sounds like a dependency)
4) TDM resources beta (actually sounds like what I need if I read the description, but who would since it's labelled "resources"?)

Note: I prefer to play beta, but I'm sure many people don't. Not sure what they would install.

And then when I do install, I get a bunch of campaigns, with no clear order? I'm not going to start a 15 campaign project in the wrong place. Maybe look at the way LotI uses parts and chapters and descriptions to make it easy to play.

Well, I guessed I'd start at Introduction, where I'm presented with some choices. I suppose I just guess at how to set them? And then it fails because I didn't install the music I'm not going to listen to. Tried again, turning off the choose music option, and now I get an error about Couldn't find [scenario] with id=tutorialtdm.

Or maybe they found what they're looking for, but haven't had time to play over 100 scenarios?
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

white_haired_uncle wrote: December 4th, 2023, 8:18 pm
hermestrismi wrote: November 15th, 2023, 6:35 pm Is my campaigns' pack that bad?
Well, maybe they don't know what to install?

I'm looking for the aforementioned 15 campaigns. Let's see what's in the add-on client:

1) The Dark Master (sounds like a single campaign?)
2) TDM music beta (not interested in music, but this throws up an error about being outdated when I install something else
3) TDM resources (probably not what I need, sounds like a dependency)
4) TDM resources beta (actually sounds like what I need if I read the description, but who would since it's labelled "resources"?)

Note: I prefer to play beta, but I'm sure many people don't. Not sure what they would install.

And then when I do install, I get a bunch of campaigns, with no clear order? I'm not going to start a 15 campaign project in the wrong place. Maybe look at the way LotI uses parts and chapters and descriptions to make it easy to play.

Well, I guessed I'd start at Introduction, where I'm presented with some choices. I suppose I just guess at how to set them? And then it fails because I didn't install the music I'm not going to listen to. Tried again, turning off the choose music option, and now I get an error about Couldn't find [scenario] with id=tutorialtdm.

Or maybe they found what they're looking for, but haven't had time to play over 100 scenarios?
Well, this is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. I concentrated on developing campaigns that I forgot how to present them and how to direct the user to them.
I add a description long ago that the beta is not only Ressources but I used to name it that way because it is Ressources and campaigns at the same time.
For the campaigns, they can be played at any order (but they are intra-connected so I advise to play them with the order of the introduction tutorial ). I will look to who improve the presentation based on what you suggested but I am distributed by two things.
First, the music file is supposed to be optional so I don't know what did I have done over different updates that it became mandatory.
Second, the bug you mentioned about the introduction. What version did you installed and what is the exact error (because it is working fine for me. At least the last time I checked it)
white_haired_uncle

version="1.0.2"

I don't have the exact error anymore, but I'm pretty sure the problem is here

Code: Select all

grep first_scenario=tutor The_Dark_Master_Project_Resources_beta/_main.cfg      
    first_scenario=tutorialtdm
There's no scenario named tutorialtdm. There's a scenario_test/tutorial.cfg ?
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

white_haired_uncle wrote: December 5th, 2023, 2:15 am version="1.0.2"

I don't have the exact error anymore, but I'm pretty sure the problem is here

Code: Select all

grep first_scenario=tutor The_Dark_Master_Project_Resources_beta/_main.cfg      
    first_scenario=tutorialtdm
There's no scenario named tutorialtdm. There's a scenario_test/tutorial.cfg ?
Updat
Version 1.0.3b
I deleted the dark master campaign (since it is completely ported to the big file of the pack) and I modified the name of the addon along with the name of the second Ressources file.
Still, I still have the same problem
1) I forget/don't know how to make the Dependency as optional (I will add a question on the wml thread for help).
2) I don't have a scenario named tutor at all! I checked again and again (and I modified the rank so the scenario appears first in the campaigns list) and I checked the _main file. The first scenario id is tutorialtdm (tutorial.cfg is the name of the file. The name of the file is irrelevant, isn't?)
white_haired_uncle

grep matches patterns, so first_scenario=tutor would match first_scenario=tutorial or first_scenario=tutorialtdm, etc, etc.

I was messing around trying to figure out why it wouldn't start, and suddenly it did. As far as I can see, I didn't really change anything. Maybe it was a cache thing.

Anyway, I got the tutorial started, but it doesn't look like there's any way to exit it.

BTW, I just tried the new version. The tutorial is now in the middle of the mainline campaigns in the campaign list.
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

white_haired_uncle wrote: December 5th, 2023, 1:31 pm grep matches patterns, so first_scenario=tutor would match first_scenario=tutorial or first_scenario=tutorialtdm, etc, etc.

I was messing around trying to figure out why it wouldn't start, and suddenly it did. As far as I can see, I didn't really change anything. Maybe it was a cache thing.

Anyway, I got the tutorial started, but it doesn't look like there's any way to exit it.

BTW, I just tried the new version. The tutorial is now in the middle of the mainline campaigns in the campaign list.
Good to know. I past an hour trying to figure what is going on. Happy that it isn't related to the campaign’s code itself.
The tutorial is just to show the timeline of each campaign and some tips before playing. I was thinking about adding a direct link from a village to campaign instead of leaving once the presentation finished but it may limit the player choices.
It is in the middle because I ranked it 100 so the player will encounter it first when he scroll