Journey of a Frost Mage

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

bssarkar
Developer

Re: Journey of a Frost Mage

Post by bssarkar »

white_haired_uncle wrote: October 6th, 2023, 11:05 am
bssarkar wrote: October 6th, 2023, 6:08 am
Question from my side : How difficult/easy do you think the campaign is? You are using version 0.8.2 (latest), right?
Played on mage/normal. I thought it was harder than most UMC on normal, but not overly so. Perhaps more importantly, the difficulty was consistent between scenarios. I played whatever version was on the addons server a couple days ago.
Spoiler:
Okay, thanks for the info. I do think I need to add a notice telling players that I keep swapping armies. Also, there's a chance I might add AMLAs or Advancements for Erinna/Lorendor. Hopefully you will come back to play it later. The Army that Erinna gets from Rowendrin in Scenario 3 is actually Erinna's permanent army.
Bravd

Post by Bravd »

Hello

In version 9.0 i got this error while trying to launch the first scenario :

Impossible de charger cette extension en erreur :
C:\Users\Bravd\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.16/data/add-ons/Frost_Mage/_main.cfg

Merci de fournir ces informations à l'auteur ou au mainteneur de cette extension.

Détails :

Macro/file 'RESTORE_HEAL' is missing
at ~add-ons/Frost_Mage/scenarios/05_the_secret_concil.cfg:157
included from ~add-ons/Frost_Mage/_main.cfg:31
bssarkar
Developer

Post by bssarkar »

Bravd wrote: October 9th, 2023, 2:13 pm Hello

Merci de fournir ces informations à l'auteur ou au mainteneur de cette extension.

Détails :

I just pushed version 0.9.1 to the add-ons server. Please update to it. I fixed this error a couple of days ago, but forgot to push it to the server. Really sorry for the late reply!
Bravd

Post by Bravd »

bssarkar wrote: October 11th, 2023, 12:25 pm
Bravd wrote: October 9th, 2023, 2:13 pm Hello

Détails :

I just pushed version 0.9.1 to the add-ons server. Please update to it. I fixed this error a couple of days ago, but forgot to push it to the server. Really sorry for the late reply!
No prob :D
I'm gonna test this soon enough
Bravd

Post by Bravd »

So I started it, and i thought this :

Erinna should really advance before scenario 4. She could have another weapon than the staff for starter. I think it's more logical given where she leave.
And when she become a proper mage, she will leave her weapon behind because she need her staff to cast her spell.
As of now, she don't participate in battle (at least in hard). She is just a deadweight.
I think it"s the same as the "northen rebirth, you start with a peasant who will advance as all peasant does. But in the later scenario, you met friend who teach your lord how to use the sword, shield & strategy and he became a general. Or in grk the mighty does the same in a more magic way.

Lorendor should be a lvl 3 unit. Is magic is really strong, he can slow too (that is really strong against great ranged damage dealer. And he isen't bad when coming to the melee. In the tree, he is a monster. he got the clever trait, but he don't advance :D
If you want to have him advance, let him be less powerfull for now. and let the player choose between trait when he advances.

I'm in the hard mode
1)
if you managed to lvl up the shaman into an healer, it's become much simplier. Good one.

2)
It's nice to see the elves back. but it's a little sad to seem them leave without a farewell.

3) I lost all but Erinna & Leonnor and this scout drakan. Why is there a drakan with I ? He diden't say a thing.
Also, parting way with unit doesen't feel good. If we are not to see them again, would it be possible that we could keep one or two ? It's alway fun to have a few unit that you have to protect because they are unique ^^
bssarkar
Developer

Post by bssarkar »

Bravd wrote: October 18th, 2023, 6:30 pm So I started it, and i thought this :

Erinna should really advance before scenario 4. She could have another weapon than the staff for starter. I think it's more logical given where she leave.
And when she become a proper mage, she will leave her weapon behind because she need her staff to cast her spell.
As of now, she don't participate in battle (at least in hard). She is just a deadweight.
I think it"s the same as the "northen rebirth, you start with a peasant who will advance as all peasant does. But in the later scenario, you met friend who teach your lord how to use the sword, shield & strategy and he became a general. Or in grk the mighty does the same in a more magic way.
Okay, good idea. I'll change the meelee weapon to quarterstaff, since that's going to more available in a village. Swords are pricey.
Lorendor should be a lvl 3 unit. Is magic is really strong, he can slow too (that is really strong against great ranged damage dealer. And he isen't bad when coming to the melee. In the tree, he is a monster. he got the clever trait, but he don't advance :D
If you want to have him advance, let him be less powerfull for now. and let the player choose between trait when he advances.
I'll see what can be done about Lorendor's and Erinna's leveling. Thinking on it.
3) I lost all but Erinna & Leonnor and this scout drakan. Why is there a drakan with I ? He diden't say a thing.
Just a bodyguard.
Hopefully Raizr didn't get killed. :(
Also, parting way with unit doesen't feel good. If we are not to see them again, would it be possible that we could keep one or two ? It's alway fun to have a few unit that you have to protect because they are unique ^^
You mean the drake recruits? Recalling them can be allowed, I guess. But they don't like sticking to elves. (though some can follow raizr in the next scenario)
Eliel and company might come back. Unfortunately, the story hasn't permitted it yet.

Have you finished the campaign? Can you give me the savefiles? That will be really valuable.

Once again, thanks for playing! Hope you enjoy the campaign.
Bravd

Post by Bravd »

bssarkar wrote: October 19th, 2023, 2:13 pm
Bravd wrote: October 18th, 2023, 6:30 pm So I started it, and i thought this :

Okay, good idea. I'll change the meelee weapon to quarterstaff, since that's going to more available in a village. Swords are pricey.
I'll see what can be done about Lorendor's and Erinna's leveling. Thinking on it.
Just a bodyguard.
Hopefully Raizr didn't get killed. :(
You mean the drake recruits? Recalling them can be allowed, I guess. But they don't like sticking to elves. (though some can follow raizr in the next scenario)
Eliel and company might come back. Unfortunately, the story hasn't permitted it yet.

Have you finished the campaign? Can you give me the savefiles? That will be really valuable.

Once again, thanks for playing! Hope you enjoy the campaign.
I diden't finish it yet, let's wait one ore two week for it.
As for my savegames, I can give you what I have till now :D
Bravd

Post by Bravd »

Hello

It seems there is a little dificulty problem there :

https://ibb.co/Yp9RTNd

Scenario 3, i only got lvl 1 unit and 1 scout drakan.
Also the troll don't attack the outlaw, and that is strange lore wise.

I finished it without killing the lich (you can go to the panel pointed at first). But i got only 3 survivor.
For what I say before about getting unit from before, i diden't see that the drake would come back.

Fighting against 10 lvl 3 troll with lvl 1 unit is tough. I had tu use the IA to make it attack undead ad circle around it. There was no other way.
The first outlaw had the power to destroy my ass by themself.
bssarkar
Developer

Post by bssarkar »

Bravd wrote: October 21st, 2023, 12:40 pm Hello

I finished it without killing the lich (you can go to the panel pointed at first). But i got only 3 survivor.
For what I say before about getting unit from before, i diden't see that the drake would come back.

Fighting against 10 lvl 3 troll with lvl 1 unit is tough. I had tu use the IA to make it attack undead ad circle around it. There was no other way.
Okay, just let me know which scenarios feel too difficult, I will reduce the difficulty in the next update. I personally only play in Normal mode. Haven't managed to playtest the Hard mode myself yet.
Bravd

Post by Bravd »

bssarkar wrote: October 21st, 2023, 3:41 pm
Bravd wrote: October 21st, 2023, 12:40 pm Hello

Okay, just let me know which scenarios feel too difficult, I will reduce the difficulty in the next update. I personally only play in Normal mode. Haven't managed to playtest the Hard mode myself yet.
Scenario 3 & 4 are really hard.
In scenario 3, the first outlaw are strong enough to wipe you. There will ve over 12 lvl 2 unit vs 10 lvl 1 unit (even in forest, this is hard).
And just after you beat them, there goes 7 lvl 3 troll who are allied with the outlaw. And the you have to face skeleton.

Scenario 4, the orc got 700 gold whil I have 200 and no veterants. This seems a bit too much.
And for scenario after, it's hard to tell without some veterants.

Also, leannor is really slow in forest while all of your other unit move fast. Maybe give her a trait when she advance that make her go faster in forest (at the player choice). The elves teached im that :D
bssarkar
Developer

Post by bssarkar »

In scenario 3, the first outlaw are strong enough to wipe you. There will ve over 12 lvl 2 unit vs 10 lvl 1 unit (even in forest, this is hard).
And just after you beat them, there goes 7 lvl 3 troll who are allied with the outlaw. And the you have to face skeleton.

Scenario 4, the orc got 700 gold whil I have 200 and no veterants. This seems a bit too much.
Good feedback, will be adjusted. Will it suffice if I cut down their numbers by half?

Does the arcane damage that you get from the tree helps? (I doubt it)
Also, leannor is really slow in forest while all of your other unit move fast. Maybe give her a trait when she advance that make her go faster in forest (at the player choice). The elves teached im that :D
I'll add one AMLA for that. (You mean Erinna/The Aqua Mage right? Please use names correctly. I get confused.)

Edit : New update 0.9.2 uploaded, please download it.
Contents :
1. Hard level difficulty reduced.
2. AMLA/level ups for Erinna and Lorendor
3. Some changes.

[8th scenario is incomplete, please don't play it.]
Bravd

Post by Bravd »

bssarkar wrote: October 22nd, 2023, 2:32 pm

Good feedback, will be adjusted. Will it suffice if I cut down their numbers by half?

Does the arcane damage that you get from the tree helps? (I doubt it)
I'll add one AMLA for that. (You mean Erinna/The Aqua Mage right? Please use names correctly. I get confused.)

Edit : New update 0.9.2 uploaded, please download it.
Contents :
1. Hard level difficulty reduced.
2. AMLA/level ups for Erinna and Lorendor
3. Some changes.

[8th scenario is incomplete, please don't play it.]
Sory about the names, i get confused myself.

For scenario 3, this is way better. Altough you could give 200 gold to outlaw & 225 gold to the troll leader so he recruit 5 lvl 3 troll. This would add one or two bandit and one troll. With this, it will be a little harder to reach the tree.
alma of the frost mage is great. But whe, she lvl up, she get a lot of power at once.
28 hp, 8x4 ranged magical
53hp - 9*6 ranged magical, 18*2 magical

At lvl 2 she got the damage of a lvl 4 magician and the HP too.
You can have elvish High soceress freely. it's an improved version of the other choice. If you wish to add it, either make one unit who can evolve there (and start weak). Or as an advance from lvl 4 (and no command ability).

As for the elvish scolar, is lvl 3 is good. Once again, is lvl 2 is too strong.
bssarkar
Developer

Post by bssarkar »

Bravd wrote: October 22nd, 2023, 10:57 pm For scenario 3, this is way better. Altough you could give 200 gold to outlaw & 225 gold to the troll leader so he recruit 5 lvl 3 troll. This would add one or two bandit and one troll. With this, it will be a little harder to reach the tree.
Will think on it.
Bravd wrote: October 22nd, 2023, 10:57 pm alma of the frost mage is great. But whe, she lvl up, she get a lot of power at once.
28 hp, 8x4 ranged magical
53hp - 9*6 ranged magical, 18*2 magical

At lvl 2 she got the damage of a lvl 4 magician and the HP too.
Will increase the exp requirements and slightly weaken Aqua Mage (lvl 2). Maybe 45 hp with 8x5 ranged, 14*2 magical?
Bravd wrote: October 22nd, 2023, 10:57 pm You can have elvish High soceress freely. it's an improved version of the other choice. If you wish to add it, either make one unit who can evolve there (and start weak). Or as an advance from lvl 4 (and no command ability).
I don't understand. The Elvish Enchantress (lvl 3 shaman) can level up to Elvish High Sorceress already. I can remove the leadship to an AMLA (or maybe scrap it altogether or weaken it to lvl 3 leadership).
Full tree :
Elvish Shaman -> Elvish Sorceress -> Elvish Enchantress -> Elvish High Sorceress

My questions :
1. Do you know that Elvish Sharpshooter/Elvish Avenger (lvl 3 elvish archers) have AMLAs. Do you use them?
2. Raizr and Drake Burners have level 5 advancements. Again, do you have/use them? Tree : Drake Burner -> Fire Drake -> Inferno Drake -> Armageddon Drake -> Drake Firelord

Once again, thanks for the great feedback!
Bravd

Post by Bravd »

Hello

As for the lady aqua mage, the reduction will be good. I think she is alway overpowered, but let see what you prepared after that :D.
What I have seen a lot and that is nice, is to :
after each lvl, the required xp go up by 10 or 15% and add more ALMA lvl. Actually on hard you fight lvl 2 or 3 unit. So you gain plenty XP.
She should have more xp requirement for starter on hard.

As the elvish sorceress sorry if I don't name it. I'm french and my game is in this language. When i'm writting, i know the french name, but i forgot the english name.
Elvish sorceress can evolve into : sylphide or high sorceresse. But high sorceresse > sylphide. you got more damage in all aspect. Who care for magical ranged touch in a wizard :D ? , and also high support ability. She is lacking in speed, but given her support ability, she will join your ground based unit.

Having both heal and commang is really strong.
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

When Erinna takes an AMLA, she only heals if she takes +HP or Aqua Mage?

Is Aqua Mage really supposed to have 70MP?

Long Road objectives still broke, say move to the tree after you move to the tree.
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.