dnd?

This is the place for forum games, not discussing games (Off-Topic), games development (Games Development), or Wesnoth (all other forums above).

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ChrundleTheGreat

dnd?

Post by ChrundleTheGreat »

do you guys ever play rpgs like dungeons and dragons?
i just got into it and thought maybe we could play it here...
ERROR1025

Re: dnd?

Post by ERROR1025 »

we make a rules or "no rules" play?
Spannerbag

Post by Spannerbag »

ChrundleTheGreat wrote: August 4th, 2023, 8:53 pm do you guys ever play rpgs like dungeons and dragons?
Heh, I played D&D ages ago with loads of extra home brewed rules (that are now maybe part of the standard game?).
Don't have the time these days :(
One thought: if you want people to interact in real time then time zones will most likely be an issue...

Cheers!
-- Spannerbag
SP Campaigns: After EI (v1.14) Leafsea Burning (v1.17, v1.16)
I suspect the universe is simpler than we think and stranger than we can know.
Also, I fear that beyond a certain point more intelligence does not necessarily benefit a species...
ERROR1025

Post by ERROR1025 »

Spannerbag wrote: August 6th, 2023, 2:44 pm
ChrundleTheGreat wrote: August 4th, 2023, 8:53 pm do you guys ever play rpgs like dungeons and dragons?
Heh, I played D&D ages ago with loads of extra home brewed rules (that are now maybe part of the standard game?).
Don't have the time these days :(
One thought: if you want people to interact in real time then time zones will most likely be an issue...

Cheers!
-- Spannerbag
we can slow play,and any player can add new condition
Spannerbag

Post by Spannerbag »

ERROR1025 wrote: August 6th, 2023, 2:50 pm ...we can slow play,and any player can add new condition
One of the things I really enjoyed about offline RPG was the social interaction.
I avoid interactive online gaming not only due to time constraints but also because I suspect it would take over my life!

So I have no idea how these issues are handled these days.
I'm guessing that it would have to be some sort of turn based mechanism where each player has a set time to respond then when all turn are in the referee (or ai) runs the turn?

Or am I completely wrong?

Cheers!
-- Spannerbag
Also, I fear that beyond a certain point more intelligence does not necessarily benefit a species...
ERROR1025

Post by ERROR1025 »

Spannerbag wrote: August 6th, 2023, 3:00 pm
ERROR1025 wrote: August 6th, 2023, 2:50 pm ...we can slow play,and any player can add new condition
One of the things I really enjoyed about offline RPG was the social interaction.
I avoid interactive online gaming not only due to time constraints but also because I suspect it would take over my life!

So I have no idea how these issues are handled these days.
I'm guessing that it would have to be some sort of turn based mechanism where each player has a set time to respond then when all turn are in the referee (or ai) runs the turn?

Or am I completely wrong?

Cheers!
-- Spannerbag
a easy plan:
any player can interactive other player,can interact with other other players before the target responds
Of course, this means that less online players need to take the initiative to avoid OOS during interaction
Spannerbag

Post by Spannerbag »

ERROR1025 wrote: August 6th, 2023, 3:26 pm a easy plan:
any player can interactive other player,can interact with other other players before the target responds
Of course, this means that less online players need to take the initiative to avoid OOS during interaction
Uh... OK, I think I understand you.
How, in practice, would this actually work if say there was a 10 hour difference in time zones?
I suppose one player would do something then another player would respond/do something else 10 hours later then someone would have to say "OK, run the turn" or something?

Sorry to be dim.

Cheers!
-- Spannerbag
ERROR1025

Post by ERROR1025 »

Spannerbag wrote: August 6th, 2023, 8:42 pm
ERROR1025 wrote: August 6th, 2023, 3:26 pm a easy plan:
Uh... OK, I think I understand you.
How, in practice, would this actually work if say there was a 10 hour difference in time zones?
I suppose one player would do something then another player would respond/do something else 10 hours later then someone would have to say "OK, run the turn" or something?

Sorry to be dim.

Cheers!
-- Spannerbag
maybe not turn
i think is:
player1:do some to player2 and do some to player3
while 3 times{
player2:do some to player1
player1:do some to player2
}
At this point player3 should read the above content and make a reasonable response
Or you can understand that “more online times player” have a greater impact on the story
——
The above assumes that it will be done on the forum, if it is done on discord or other IM platforms, there will be other plans
ChrundleTheGreat

how about DM? is there any?
ERROR1025

Post by ERROR1025 »

ChrundleTheGreat wrote: August 7th, 2023, 2:58 am how about DM? is there any?
no,else have a always online user hope play
if you think need DM,i suggestion use discord
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

I used to play D&D on local Bulletin Board Systems (you used your 8-bit computer and a 300 baud modem to dial up another computer running a "forum" like software) back in the 80's. So it is doable.

We all rolled characters and then the Dungeon Master would post the first part of the adventure:

You all meet at the entrance to a cave. What do you do next?

Then after a day when each player has posted his choice the DM does the next...

It is very slow and as I recall we never finished.

But since this forum here is functionally identical to a BBS it should work well. Even better. No busy signals. (Uhh you see the BBS had usually 1 phone line meaning only 1 person could be logged in at a time... so getting onto a BBS was sometimes hard)
ERROR1025

Post by ERROR1025 »

Atreides wrote: August 7th, 2023, 4:07 pm I used to play D&D on local Bulletin Board Systems (you used your 8-bit computer and a 300 baud modem to dial up another computer running a "forum" like software) back in the 80's. So it is doable.

We all rolled characters and then the Dungeon Master would post the first part of the adventure:

You all meet at the entrance to a cave. What do you do next?

Then after a day when each player has posted his choice the DM does the next...

It is very slow and as I recall we never finished.

But since this forum here is functionally identical to a BBS it should work well. Even better. No busy signals. (Uhh you see the BBS had usually 1 phone line meaning only 1 person could be logged in at a time... so getting onto a BBS was sometimes hard)
One problem is that when it's too long it causes some players to forget to check the forum
So if using "DM(or host/controler)" and "turn" need a scheme that can continue if any player exits
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

If a player does not enter a "command" for the "turn" his character just stands idle while having his face eaten off by a dragon. : )
ERROR1025

Post by ERROR1025 »

Atreides wrote: August 7th, 2023, 4:21 pm If a player does not enter a "command" for the "turn" his character just stands idle while having his face eaten off by a dragon. : )
but if DM forget to check the forum?
i think players free interaction would be better
ChrundleTheGreat

ok, so no dm, no rules, no worries, just "free-form" role-play imagination...
:)