Ascension

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

redbeard2

Re: Ascension

Post by redbeard2 »

I’ll be getting time limits set very soon and finish with as many other suggestions as I can, try to post. Other big thing I want to put in is the world map and travel and battle locations, is there a tutorial I can look at for that?
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

redbeard2 wrote: December 31st, 2023, 5:16 pm I’ll be getting time limits set very soon and finish with as many other suggestions as I can, try to post. Other big thing I want to put in is the world map and travel and battle locations, is there a tutorial I can look at for that?
There is MakingCampaignInWML (see part 4).

There is also a tool for creating tracks on a map, although it requires you to download and install a separate program to use it. If you're not going to have a lot of scenarios, it may be simpler to just write the code for the track manually.
redbeard2

Post by redbeard2 »

gnombat wrote: January 1st, 2024, 1:56 am
redbeard2 wrote: December 31st, 2023, 5:16 pm I’ll be getting time limits set very soon and finish with as many other suggestions as I can, try to post. Other big thing I want to put in is the world map and travel and battle locations, is there a tutorial I can look at for that?
There is MakingCampaignInWML (see part 4).

There is also a tool for creating tracks on a map, although it requires you to download and install a separate program to use it. If you're not going to have a lot of scenarios, it may be simpler to just write the code for the track manually.
17 scenarios, which feels like a fair number, I'll check the program and the tutorial
redbeard2

Post by redbeard2 »

The campaign is officially published onto the server, it should overall be functional, I have addressed, I think, most of what was a problem, though if they are still persisting I'll see what I can do.

Otherwise, I will work on a world map, and the capitalization issues

I called my campaign 1.0.0 as it is complete, and it is the first version, if that is correct...
redbeard2

Post by redbeard2 »

ZIM wrote: December 23rd, 2023, 11:37 pm
redbeard2 wrote: December 23rd, 2023, 10:13 pm working on adding in time limits as that is the #1 feedback I'm getting that needs to be in, I'm trying to be a tiny bit generous, people need some cushion at least. I am taking away those [leader] blocks that may be causing at least some of the errors. As I don't see those error messages, a little hard for me to fix.

Any idea if anyone has a map of the North, like the one used in Son of the Black Eye, that doesn't have any cities? One thing I want to add eventually is a world map, and one without cities that shouldn't exist yet would be nice.
Do you mean like this?
Just started with putting in the location markers on the maps, the northlands map works but the white background copied into the display in the game and doesn't look great, and size makes the lettering fuzzy, so just copying what you gave me had some not great effects, what would help avoid that from happening?
ZIM

Post by ZIM »

redbeard2 wrote: January 2nd, 2024, 5:28 pm Just started with putting in the location markers on the maps, the northlands map works but the white background copied into the display in the game and doesn't look great, and size makes the lettering fuzzy, so just copying what you gave me had some not great effects, what would help avoid that from happening?
Oh, I think that's because I accidentally reduced the resolution when changing the image format from webp to png. And I guess that also where the white background get introduced. I'll try to make another one

Edit:
How about this one?
Attachments
north map without cities.png
redbeard2

Post by redbeard2 »

Much crisper, there is a very subtle white border around it but much less noticeable, it's usable overall though maybe someone would harp on the white border, I think this will work for my purposes, thanks, I'll post if any other issue pops up
ZIM

Post by ZIM »

redbeard2 wrote: January 7th, 2024, 12:02 am Much crisper, there is a very subtle white border around it but much less noticeable, it's usable overall though maybe someone would harp on the white border, I think this will work for my purposes, thanks, I'll post if any other issue pops up
Oh sorry, I didn't pay too much attention before, I think this one should be it.
Attachments
north map without cities.png
redbeard2

Post by redbeard2 »

ZIM wrote: January 7th, 2024, 11:26 am
redbeard2 wrote: January 7th, 2024, 12:02 am Much crisper, there is a very subtle white border around it but much less noticeable, it's usable overall though maybe someone would harp on the white border, I think this will work for my purposes, thanks, I'll post if any other issue pops up
Oh sorry, I didn't pay too much attention before, I think this one should be it.
I just tried it, it's perfect, white border totally gone and image looks good, awesome!
redbeard2

Post by redbeard2 »

simple question, I have made some small changes and added the map travel, fixed many capitalizations. If I want to upload the updated version, do I delete the old version and add it? Or do I just hit upload with the old one still there? A warning message came up about doing that and I don't want to break anything, I'm probably being paranoid...
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

redbeard2 wrote: January 8th, 2024, 4:48 am A warning message came up about doing that and I don't want to break anything, I'm probably being paranoid...
What was the warning message?

Keep in mind that you will want to increment the version number whenever you upload a new version.
redbeard2

Post by redbeard2 »

gnombat wrote: January 8th, 2024, 8:14 am
redbeard2 wrote: January 8th, 2024, 4:48 am A warning message came up about doing that and I don't want to break anything, I'm probably being paranoid...
What was the warning message?

Keep in mind that you will want to increment the version number whenever you upload a new version.
Warning

The remote version of this add-on is greater or equal to the version being uploaded. Do you really with to continue?

I see this if I go to publishable add-ons, and then hit the up-arrow, this is the correct way to put in the new version? I just want to make sure hitting yes doesn't break anything or create a duplicate or some other strange mess

And, if my first published version was 1.0.0, then the next one would be 1.0.1?
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

redbeard2 wrote: January 9th, 2024, 4:09 am Warning

The remote version of this add-on is greater or equal to the version being uploaded. Do you really with to continue?

I see this if I go to publishable add-ons, and then hit the up-arrow, this is the correct way to put in the new version? I just want to make sure hitting yes doesn't break anything or create a duplicate or some other strange mess
Before uploading, you will need to edit your _server.pbl file and change the version to the new version number.
redbeard2 wrote: January 9th, 2024, 4:09 am And, if my first published version was 1.0.0, then the next one would be 1.0.1?
You choose what the new version number will be. It could be 1.0.1 (if there are only tiny bug fixes) or 2.0.0 (if there are major changes) or 1.1.0 (if something in between).
redbeard2

Post by redbeard2 »

I just published version 1.1.0 with some of the most prominent changes:

there is a world map with battle locations
I have tried to take away most race based capitalizations
changes some minor map features in Kingdom of Dorth and Khrakrahs
Most maps have a hint section that explain certain features that will help with the scenario's function (for example, killing orcs that resist you in Khrakrahs to get their groups)
Kingdom of Dorth has dwarvish weapons sprinkled around that offer bonuses to certain units
Captain Krag gets bonuses of Feeding (he has a special kind of wolf), and later on gets a net ranged attack

Please give feedback on anything I have done, if there are any bugs that have popped up, or what you think of the campaign in general. At some point I may add extra difficulty settings, but want to do so thoughtfully on how to make them actually scaled correctly, that may take some research and time, so it won't happen super soon unless there's some sort of demand.
redbeard2

Post by redbeard2 »

Seems the leader location flag on scenario 2 disappeared, so I added it in, so that will work now in case anyone had a problem