Ascension

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

redbeard2

Re: Ascension

Post by redbeard2 »

working on adding in time limits as that is the #1 feedback I'm getting that needs to be in, I'm trying to be a tiny bit generous, people need some cushion at least. I am taking away those [leader] blocks that may be causing at least some of the errors. As I don't see those error messages, a little hard for me to fix.

Any idea if anyone has a map of the North, like the one used in Son of the Black Eye, that doesn't have any cities? One thing I want to add eventually is a world map, and one without cities that shouldn't exist yet would be nice.
ZIM

Post by ZIM »

redbeard2 wrote: December 23rd, 2023, 10:13 pm working on adding in time limits as that is the #1 feedback I'm getting that needs to be in, I'm trying to be a tiny bit generous, people need some cushion at least. I am taking away those [leader] blocks that may be causing at least some of the errors. As I don't see those error messages, a little hard for me to fix.

Any idea if anyone has a map of the North, like the one used in Son of the Black Eye, that doesn't have any cities? One thing I want to add eventually is a world map, and one without cities that shouldn't exist yet would be nice.
Do you mean like this?
Attachments
north map without cities.png
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

redbeard2 wrote: December 23rd, 2023, 4:51 pm Lobo was an old name for Krag-Ubor before I changed it, I guess one slipped through my revisions.

The horn thing is lifted from a map in Legend of Wesmere, I want to make it stop staying Brurbar, but haven't figured out how.
It's a message block, IIRC. Try speaker=narrator
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
redbeard2

Post by redbeard2 »

ZIM wrote: December 23rd, 2023, 11:37 pm
redbeard2 wrote: December 23rd, 2023, 10:13 pm working on adding in time limits as that is the #1 feedback I'm getting that needs to be in, I'm trying to be a tiny bit generous, people need some cushion at least. I am taking away those [leader] blocks that may be causing at least some of the errors. As I don't see those error messages, a little hard for me to fix.

Do you mean like this?
That is absolutely perfect, at some point I have to figure out how to actually use it, but yes, that's great, thanks!
redbeard2

Post by redbeard2 »

Im putting in time limits on maps with a new replay, should be done in a week or so, also adding in some weapons in Kingdom of Dorth that can give you a little boost, also making that map shrouded due to cave. After that May try to figure out a world map, we will see.
white_haired_uncle

Khra... Kind of nasty, not many units to defend your rather weak "hero". I found the dragon's dialog at the end confusing, since he had moved on the
previous turn how could he be awakened when I entered his turf? Took me 16 turns, but I cheated as I really wasn't interested in playing over and over looking for either dumb luck or maybe a strategy that kept me from getting swarmed by saurians. I suppose with no turn limit, I could just advance Barbar to draw out a few, retreat to heal, wait to heal, repeat (assuming the enemy income isn't too high).

On a hunch, I looked at the code and I can see how it is "supposed" to be played. I've seen that in several other campaigns but I've never seen it be of any use since the enemy leaders are almost always the last to die (especially if I don't have ambush/nightstalk/etc). But I'm not the type to go back and start over, cheating is fine by me.

And then S11 blows up, as the map file is wrong. I got it working my changing it to map_file=11_Last_Stand_of_the_Orcs.map
redbeard2

Post by redbeard2 »

white_haired_uncle wrote: December 28th, 2023, 7:38 pm Khra... Kind of nasty, not many units to defend your rather weak "hero". I found the dragon's dialog at the end confusing, since he had moved on the
previous turn how could he be awakened when I entered his turf? Took me 16 turns, but I cheated as I really wasn't interested in playing over and over looking for either dumb luck or maybe a strategy that kept me from getting swarmed by saurians. I suppose with no turn limit, I could just advance Barbar to draw out a few, retreat to heal, wait to heal, repeat (assuming the enemy income isn't too high).

On a hunch, I looked at the code and I can see how it is "supposed" to be played. I've seen that in several other campaigns but I've never seen it be of any use since the enemy leaders are almost always the last to die (especially if I don't have ambush/nightstalk/etc). But I'm not the type to go back and start over, cheating is fine by me.

And then S11 blows up, as the map file is wrong. I got it working my changing it to map_file=11_Last_Stand_of_the_Orcs.map
I tried to make it clear in the intro dialogue, the orcs scattered around are there to be "recruited". Basically as you approach a group of orcs, one of them will speak out against you. If you kill the orc who speaks (usually the highest ranked), the rest switch to your side (in typical orcish fashion, they are submitting to the stronger leader). The idea behind the level is you aren't supposed to be able to take on the saurian guardians right off, but once you take over the various orcish bands, you should be able to overpower them without too much trouble. As I developed it I always got all the orcs, but you can probably win with just a few of the groups going to you.

The saurians have almost no income and will just send a few units to harass you, they shouldn't be a big issue as you get the orcs.

If you think the intro dialogue wasn't clear enough I could even add that as an "objective" to sort of suggest you should kill the orcs who speak out. You of course don't want to kill off too many of the orcs in each band, just enough to snipe the leader, which the skirmishers should be helpful for with their ability to infiltrate.

Whenever I went to Khrakrahs he didn't get a chance to move before I ended the mission, I can make him a passive-leader type unit, that'll keep him from moving.

The Last Stand mission got renamed, so that was something that just needed to get fixed, as you did. I'll correct that for the next version.

I'm changing "catastrophe" so all the undead die if you kill Crassus, so the Kill Crassus is valid
white_haired_uncle

Intro dialogue? Is that the stuff at the beginning of a scenario that I have to hit the escape key to avoid paging through?
redbeard2

Post by redbeard2 »

white_haired_uncle wrote: December 29th, 2023, 4:05 am Intro dialogue? Is that the stuff at the beginning of a scenario that I have to hit the escape key to avoid paging through?
Um, yes, most of the time it doesn't dramatically change things, but in "Khrakrahs" it explains the mechanism decently.

Would you suggest some sort of hint in objectives so it is clearer for those who aren't in it for the talking?
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

redbeard2 wrote: December 29th, 2023, 5:11 am Would you suggest some sort of hint in objectives so it is clearer for those who aren't in it for the talking?
It's usually best to mention things which affect gameplay in the objectives.

Another reason for this: if a player has difficulty remembering the details, it's easy to review by selecting "Objectives" from the menu (or simply pressing Ctrl+J). But the game doesn't provide any easy way to review the dialogue.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Is this not on the addons server yet? would be easier/convenient to get updates that way than to manually download and install.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
redbeard2

Post by redbeard2 »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: December 29th, 2023, 11:50 am Is this not on the addons server yet? would be easier/convenient to get updates that way than to manually download and install.
I Can try though I figured if no time limits were annoying I should put them in before posting to everyone, I should be able to get that ready within a week or so hopefully.

I am still struggling with how to actually put in the .pbl file that enables it to be published, the downloads I have don’t seem to have something clearly labeled that way, maybe I’m just being dense and don’t see it?
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

redbeard2 wrote: December 29th, 2023, 1:31 pm I am still struggling with how to actually put in the .pbl file that enables it to be published, the downloads I have don’t seem to have something clearly labeled that way, maybe I’m just being dense and don’t see it?
The .pbl file is not found in downloads; it is only used for uploading, and the .pbl file will not be contained in the published add-on. (It contains secrets like your passphrase, so it is not something that you would want to have in the published add-ons available for download.)
redbeard2

Post by redbeard2 »

Where do I put it in, then? Probably seems like a laughable question to a coder, but I’m unclear where it goes…
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Place the PBL file in your addon's folder
Like this:

Code: Select all

- Ascension
  |- scenarios\
  |- maps\
  |- macros\
  |- _main.cfg
  |- _server.pbl
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium