What you hate/dislike the most in user-made campaigns? (Ignoring bugs)

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Firesniw

What you hate/dislike the most in user-made campaigns? (Ignoring bugs)

Post by Firesniw »

Probably someone already made similar topic in history of this forum, but yea.
I'm genuinely curious about things that community dislikes in user-made campaigns.
Things like: What is too common practice in most campaigns?
What is annoying but most people do that? Etc.
Last edited by Firesniw on February 8th, 2024, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Re: What you hate/dislike the most in user-made campaigns? (Ignoring bugs)

Post by Atreides »

Being too hard at the easiest level. Applies to core ones too.
Firesniw

Post by Firesniw »

Yes, can relate on this one, this is true even in official campaigns.
Can be annoying if you don't want to restart or reload turn.
Firesniw

Post by Firesniw »

Atreides wrote: February 7th, 2024, 11:32 pm Being too hard at the easiest level. Applies to core ones too.
Yes, can relate on this one, this is true even in official campaigns.
Can be annoying if you don't want to restart or reload turn.
otzenpunk

Post by otzenpunk »

Too long campaigns.

After roundabout 15 scenarios almost every campaign starts to become boring. The corridor of possible gold carryover widens, enlarging chances it's either turning into a cakewalk or becoming entirely impossible to reach the end without replaying large parts. You're recall list fills with max-level troops you're not even able to use any more, etc.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

otzenpunk wrote: February 8th, 2024, 6:25 pm Too long campaigns.
Absolutely that too. I mean if there was some good reason for 30 scenarios because something needs to slowly evolve sure but 20-30 scenarios of kill leader are nothing but a drag.
Firesniw

Post by Firesniw »

Atreides wrote: February 8th, 2024, 9:55 pm
otzenpunk wrote: February 8th, 2024, 6:25 pm Too long campaigns.
Absolutely that too. I mean if there was some good reason for 30 scenarios because something needs to slowly evolve sure but 20-30 scenarios of kill leader are nothing but a drag.
Yea, if you want to do a long campaigns, then make something happen.
Some game changers, like changing point of view for some time, new objectives, maybe some puzzles.
Btw, i made this post about this all mostly to get some knowledge on what to not to when doing a campaing.
As I'm working on few projects like this.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

I find that a lot of add-on campaigns have too many loyal units. A small number of loyals is OK, but the more you have, the harder it is to balance the campaign in the long run.

(There are a few mainline campaigns that are guilty of this as well.)
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Oh also I think most players don't like it when nasty things happen at random. Like for example your level 3 unit with an item being killed by a lava pit opening up under them without warning.

Oh the core campaigns are no special case. After all I believe almost all of them started out as UMC. And... well dare I say it, but the powers behind Wesnoth are... well users too. ; )
Firesniw

Post by Firesniw »

Atreides wrote: February 9th, 2024, 5:25 pm Oh also I think most players don't like it when nasty things happen at random. Like for example your level 3 unit with an item being killed by a lava pit opening up under them without warning.

Oh the core campaigns are no special case. After all I believe almost all of them started out as UMC. And... well dare I say it, but the powers behind Wesnoth are... well users too. ; )
Yea, i remember that one campaign, i think it was descent into darkness, had something like ice crushing under your units.
It was with a warning in what characters were talking about, they told to each other something like "Oh yea this ice is weak"
But if you ignored it or missed the point, you could easily lose a good unit.

But hey, orcs mostly gone there first, so at least you could see what will happen if you let your unit stand on ice for more than one turn.
I think such things were in a few more campaings, like heir to the throne i believe?
There was that lava in some level, i think it was the level with that scepter or something.

I played it like a year ago, that's why i don't remember every detail
otzenpunk

Post by otzenpunk »

Firesniw wrote: February 9th, 2024, 11:43 pm
Atreides wrote: February 9th, 2024, 5:25 pm Oh also I think most players don't like it when nasty things happen at random. Like for example your level 3 unit with an item being killed by a lava pit opening up under them without warning.
i remember that one campaign, i think it was descent into darkness, had something like ice crushing under your units.
It was with a warning in what characters were talking about, they told to each other something like "Oh yea this ice is weak"
Yes, but there was a warning, so in that case it's your own fault, isn't it?
Firesniw

Post by Firesniw »

otzenpunk wrote: February 10th, 2024, 2:18 pm
Firesniw wrote: February 9th, 2024, 11:43 pm
i remember that one campaign, i think it was descent into darkness, had something like ice crushing under your units.
Yes, but there was a warning, so in that case it's your own fault, isn't it?
Yes you are right, i didn't sayed that it's campaign's fault, just saying that it is possible to forget about it or miss information about it.
In some campaings player must be on gard or else it will be hard for them. And that is actually good.
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Yes HttT has lava that WITHOUT WARNING kills your units. It's what I was thinking of mainly.

I've seen another scenario (UMC) that has cracking ice but it gives plenty of fair warning and if you don't heed that... well hope you can swim. :) I think it's called Ice River or such and might be in the Diamond Map Pack.
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

Hmm. I don't have any real hate.

A few things could perhaps be improved in general, be it the UI (some campaigns
do add-ons, but these are more of an after-thought); other campaigns are a bit long
and then some parts of it are no fun, whereas later parts are fun again. I think if
I'd pick just one part, I'd say that the UI of wesnoth could perhaps need a few
visual improvements - not saying the whole UI should be discarded, but perhaps
some widgets could be made SLIGHTLY nicer by default. Wesnoth as game is
fine, in my opinion; it also has not vanished after +20 years. But I think small
steady improvements, including the UI / GUI, are what brings back old people
as well as attract new folks.
Firesniw

Post by Firesniw »

shevegen wrote: February 11th, 2024, 1:25 am Hmm. I don't have any real hate.

A few things could perhaps be improved in general, be it the UI (some campaigns
do add-ons, but these are more of an after-thought); other campaigns are a bit long
and then some parts of it are no fun, whereas later parts are fun again. I think if
I'd pick just one part, I'd say that the UI of wesnoth could perhaps need a few
visual improvements - not saying the whole UI should be discarded, but perhaps
some widgets could be made SLIGHTLY nicer by default. Wesnoth as game is
fine, in my opinion; it also has not vanished after +20 years. But I think small
steady improvements, including the UI / GUI, are what brings back old people
as well as attract new folks.
Hm yea, of course, that's why i done that slash, i don't really hate anything in campaigns too, but there are some things that are annoying.
As I sayed i just wanted to get some knowledge from other users about what not to do in campaign or what should i avoid.

Wesnoth as a game is really great for a 20+ years game, i love it, and I'm happy that i have some time to work on some add-ons for it.

I think if it comes to campaigns, one of the biggest and main sins of most campaigns even in main game, is "Objective, kill something/some leader".
You know what i mean, that's what i want to avoid, this happens because of how the game is made, it's literately mostly about killing leaders to win.
But i think after like 3 scenarios of such fighting there should be something new from time to time, like i don't know, survive for some time, or get to the other side of map to end scenario or something like that.

And it's good to add some cool lore-addition scenario, there was something like this in Delfadors memoirs or Dead water.
Maybe it's not ultra interesting, but if you are into lore of the campaign that you play, then it will be fun for you to read and maybe
connecting some dots to make theories about things you don't know yet.

I always had fun with such things, especially because main game has a really cool way of telling you it's story, and some UMC campaigns do this pretty well too!